Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rate it: Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman

I personally think it's the best event alongside Infinity (Jonathan Hickman) and Civil War (Mark Millar).

Secret Wars had everything, from personal character moments to big bombastic and cinematic action with great payoff.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

10/10

The main event was good but the tie-ins were some of the best. That made it perfect!

I haven’t concentrated on Secret Wars 2015, but the concept of a villains idea of an idyllic world was very fascinating. Marry your biggest enemy hero’s wife, have his children to her, then make sure all the heroes get regurgitated out of a winning place, back into subjugation. It was paradise.

The concept was versatile, 8 out of 10. (Civil War was 10 out of 10)

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

8/10. After #5 (I think) we had a time skip I didn’t like. A time skip that we could’ve spent rebuilding Namor/T’Challas relationship, seeing both Reeds work together, really explored Battleworld before tearing apart. It could’ve done with 2 issues or so just to showcase that a little more.
    But, my god was the ending good.

“I’m Reed Richards. I’m the one who fixes things.”

BANNED

The whole Time runs out to Secret Wars thing was an epic. I’d go and say Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman was my favorite event that I’ve ever read. The Tie-ins were phenomenal as well.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

IMO it is a far better written piece than Civil War, where it seems like Millar just tossed a coin to see who was on what side. IF he had read anything at all about Reed, he would never have been on the registration side.

Once you realized how far back Hickman's planted the seeds for Secret Wars, it becomes a truly epic story. At the end, it all came down to the two main adversaries of Stan and Jack's Fantastic Four, the book that gave birth to the MU.

The reason why I don't like Civil War is that it started a cycle of hero vs hero that lasted far too long

BANNED

More opinions please

BANNED

9/10 Mostly because it had real stakes for both the main MU and the Ultimate Universe and it actually lasted plus all the building up (The Road to Secret War, Time Runs Out) and tie-ins made it so much better.

The actual Secret Wars story was 8/10 for me, but the Avengers/New Avengers run leading up to it was 10/10.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    The actual Secret Wars story was 8/10 for me, but the Avengers/New Avengers run leading up to it was 10/10.
    I agree, I like Time Runs Out more than SW'2015.

But SW'2015 is a lot of fun.

Hickman's New Avengers was really a great build up. I've said it before but each issue of NA,especially as the crisis with the incursions grew more and more desperate sparked some of the largest discussion threads here. To borrow from Thomas Paine, these were times that truly tried the souls of the members of the Illuminati. I also enjoyed how Doom would invite various heroes for dinner to discuss the situation. The first time to try and find out just what Reed and Doctor Strange knew about the event the occurred over Latveria and the second time to scold Namor for not coming to him right away when he was having difficulty dealing with Thanos and the Black Order.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Hickman's New Avengers was really a great build up. I've said it before but each issue of NA,especially as the crisis with the incursions grew more and more desperate sparked some of the largest discussion threads here.
    A bit like HoX/PoX was last year across twitter and the X-Boards. Must have been intense.

To borrow from Thomas Paine, these were times that truly tried the souls of the members of the Illuminati. I also enjoyed how Doom would invite various heroes for dinner to discuss the situation. The first time to try and find out just what Reed and Doctor Strange knew about the event the occurred over Latveria and the second time to scold Namor for not coming to him right away when he was having difficulty dealing with Thanos and the Black Order.
    Hickman really focused on characters with strong focus and connection with the Fantastic Four -- T'Challa introduced in the FF pages, Namor reinserted into continuity in the FF pages, Doom and Reed. And Doctor Strange of course is connected with Doom since Triumph and Torment.

I do recall at the time all this was starting, Bendis had just announced that he was leaving his 2 Avengers titles. They had one of those big writers summits and it was like musical chairs. Everyone had to pick a new title to switch to and I am not sure if they really had much choice in the matter. I also remember that Hickman planned a longer story for the Parliament of Doom but he had to wind it up in one issue. He never said how long it was going to be. I do think there was an interview where he said he had 2 more years of Fantastic Four plots and I suspect this is what evolved into his New Avengers. I think we can only theorize but maybe Secret Wars turned into Hickman's (and Marvel's) swan song for the Fantastic Four because of the issues involved with IP rights and Fox. Perlmutter was definitely in a foul mood about that and wanted all activity about the FF halted in the comics, at least this is what was leaked by Bleeding Cool. I think it is obvious they were not far off the mark at all.

One a side note: I know he's mentioned it before in interviews at the time but it's no surprise that Hickman is a big fan of the GN Triumph and Torment. So he does reunite Victor and Stephen in New Avengers and Secret Wars. It was long overdue IMO and I'm glad to see other writers continuing with this in Bendis's Infamous Iron Man and now in Savage Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Hickman's New Avengers was really a great build up. I've said it before but each issue of NA,especially as the crisis with the incursions grew more and more desperate sparked some of the largest discussion threads here. To borrow from Thomas Paine, these were times that truly tried the souls of the members of the Illuminati. I also enjoyed how Doom would invite various heroes for dinner to discuss the situation. The first time to try and find out just what Reed and Doctor Strange knew about the event the occurred over Latveria and the second time to scold Namor for not coming to him right away when he was having difficulty dealing with Thanos and the Black Order.
    I wasn't a user of CBR back then nor did I engage in much forum conversations, I wish I had, the constant theories going around would have been awesome and insane to see.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Hickman really focused on characters with strong focus and connection with the Fantastic Four -- T'Challa introduced in the FF pages, Namor reinserted into continuity in the FF pages, Doom and Reed. And Doctor Strange of course is connected with Doom since Triumph and Torment.
    You pointing this out makes me love the story so much more. The whole Doom and Strange working together makes so much sense under that light.

Loving them in Savage Avengers as well right now. Btw.