Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wanted to express my appreciation of Taskmaster as well. Always seemed like such a weird combination of a character. Indeed, a guy who looks like Skeletor, dressed in orange, white, and blue, can copy anyone's movement and speaks in a (at least how I read him) New York accent. Like...what?

In any case, still cool that he can throw done with any street level (and sometimes beyond) character in the MCU.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Wanted to express my appreciation of Taskmaster as well. Always seemed like such a weird combination of a character. Indeed, a guy who looks like Skeletor, dressed in orange, white, and blue, can copy anyone's movement and speaks in a (at least how I read him) New York accent. Like...what?
    Yeah! I mean, you'd think someone who walks around in a hooded cape would at least conduct themselves in a somewhat stately manner.

In any case, still cool that he can throw done with any street level (and sometimes beyond) character in the MCU.
    Agreed. Too bad he couldn't hold his own against Batman during JLA/Avengers.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-15-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Maybe that's because Batman has experience with someone with similar abilities - the then-current Batgirl, Cassandra Cain.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

All-New Member

This guy is so underrated. Tasky needs more wins under his belt, he can be a fine comic relief but he needs a few victories to remember he can be a beast in combat too.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe that's because Batman has experience with someone with similar abilities - the then-current Batgirl, Cassandra Cain.
    He also lost to dr doom.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I hope they get read of his memory issues. I prefer him as a regular scumbag
    How are they mutually exclusive?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    How are they mutually exclusive?
    Because without his memories, he can't make the choice to be a scumbag. The memory issue was used to excuse his actions, because he was pointed assignments without his full knowledge.

I understand, to a degree, why they did it. As scumbags go, Taskmaster is up there. One could argue that he's worse than most terrorists, because he believes in no cause but money, and is willing to make actual terrorists more effective.

Frankly, I wish they went back to his Udon design and character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Margarito View Post
    This guy is so underrated. Tasky needs more wins under his belt, he can be a fine comic relief but he needs a few victories to remember he can be a beast in combat too.
    He actually beat Punisher hand to hand, recently.

That though said, they need to give him more motivation to actually stay in the fight

Because without his memories, he can't make the choice to be a scumbag. The memory issue was used to excuse his actions, because he was pointed assignments without his full knowledge.

I understand, to a degree, why they did it. As scumbags go, Taskmaster is up there. One could argue that he's worse than most terrorists, because he believes in no cause but money, and is willing to make actual terrorists more effective.

You could be right. I interpreted the origin differently. Tony injected that nazi serum to become a better agent. That was a Faustian choice that didn’t make him a villain. He’s what he is because he no longer needs to worry about his memories haunting him. We’ve seen Taskmaster do good. He just chooses not to because money is more tangible than the feeling that comes from altruism. If he had been aware of side effects, my money is on him making the same decision.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 01-15-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Yeah! I mean, you'd think someone who walks around in a hooded cape would at least conduct themselves in a somewhat stately manner.
    Indeed bro. I mean, okay there's the Hood and all, but if you look like Skeletor and wield a sword and shield, I'd expect some refinement. Instead, he sounds very working class. Come to think of it, he acts pretty working class as well. Not in the supervillain game to make a big statement or conquer all of reality. Instead, guy just wants to make a good living doing what he does best.

As for some favorite fight scenes, well, I remember him going against Cap a couple of times. Always has the upper hand for a while before Cap recovers. This is back during the Jurgens run:

And here is him during the latest Coates run:

Again, gets a couple of good shots in before Cap comes back in the fight.
    "I am a man of peace."

Classic Taskmaster moment back in Avengers #38 in Busiek's run. Avengers start to bust up Taskmaster's training facilities:

And what does Taskmaster do? Gets the f' out of there!

God, Tasky is so awesome here!
    "I am a man of peace."

Classic Taskmaster moment back in Avengers #38 in Busiek's run. Avengers start to bust up Taskmaster's training facilities:

And what does Taskmaster do? Gets the f' out of there!

God, Tasky is so awesome here!
    Ever practical, that Taskmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarito View Post
    Agreed. He definitely should remember how he single-handedly defeated the combined forces of Iron Man & Captain America.

Awesome! Someone remembers the UDON series.

Now, UDON's Taskmaster was certainly worth rooting for ($$$).

He actually beat Punisher hand to hand, recently.

That though said, they need to give him more motivation to actually stay in the fight
    I remember he had The Punisher dead-to-rights. And then, WHAM! ...he becomes a victim of hit-and-run (SMH).

Indeed bro. I mean, okay there's the Hood and all, but if you look like Skeletor and wield a sword and shield, I'd expect some refinement. Instead, he sounds very working class. Come to think of it, he acts pretty working class as well. Not in the supervillain game to make a big statement or conquer all of reality. Instead, guy just wants to make a good living doing what he does best.

As for some favorite fight scenes, well, I remember him going against Cap a couple of times. Always has the upper hand for a while before Cap recovers. This is back during the Jurgens run:

And here is him during the latest Coates run:

Again, gets a couple of good shots in before Cap comes back in the fight.
    Rather impressive showing for the Taskmaster, I'll give him that.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-16-2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    He also lost to dr doom.
    How this happen? If it was straight up I call serious bullshit.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    How this happen? If it was straight up I call serious bullshit.
    it was an article on the main CBR page. judging by the pictures they included, it was quite embarrassing. but, in fairness to the Taskmaster, Doom only exists to upstage other characters. he has plot armor that photographic reflexes can't overcome. personally, i don't think there's a chance in hell of surprising Taskmaster by throwing his own shield at him. he's memorized the fighting styles of captain america, daredevil, and bullseye. pretty sure that he can tell when someone's going to throw something directly at him. it wasn't even a superhuman throw.

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-doom-beat...-hand-to-hand/