BANNED

Default Batman White Knight - Really a Two-Face Story?

So I read Sean Murphy's Batman White Knight, since a lot of people talked about it.

I gotta say, to me this feels like a Two-Face and Harvey Dent story more than a Joker one. The relationship between Joker and Harley I feels closer to Harvey's relationship with his wife in The Long Halloween than anything established before.

Harvey Dent is the aspiring city reformer and would be mayor/counciller. He's the one interested in and dedicated to protecting the streets. He's the one who would be willing to stand up against vigilantism and the whole idea of needing pills to hold back his violent urges and so on, that's him too. This entire story and plot would make more sense with Harvey Dent. If it was Harvey who had reformed and who in his reform blames Batman, that would make more sense in every way...for Gordon to come around to him, for Nightwing to back him, and so on.

White Knight is what happens when Joker gets so overexposed at the expense of other rogues that they literally take stories and concepts that organically fit other characters because DC are unwilling or incapable of selling a story with other rogues than Joker. If I am not mistaken, Dent was even called "white knight" in Nolan's Dark Knight movie.

The concept of Joker being redeemed or "Going sane" is interesting and has been done before (by J. M. DeMatteis) but to do a story like this where you need to give Joker an identity, where you have to pre-establish him as a Silver Age prankster, and all that just doesn't fit. Whereas you could maybe have done this with the base Harvey Dent character in Post-Crisis or Rebirth continuity.

BANNED

Oops...I posted this on the wrong thread by mistake.

I done goofed. Can the mod move it to the correct thread?