Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,439

    Default

    Death in the original movies shows no ability to automatically kill people. He has to set up Rube Goldbergian bad luck to do so. And that limitation is what makes the movies entertaining. Dropping that limitation because "it's Death" is mood-destroying no matter how you justify it.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 01-16-2020 at 08:26 PM.

  2. #17

    Default

    Doing stuff like possessing a truck doesnt auto win.

    It could inconveniently be low on gas or pop a tire on a nail for example. :P

    If a tornado started forming, she would probably stumble into a crazy guys fallout bunker by accident. Or Storm would just happen to be in the area lol
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

  3. #18
    Cruel and Unusual Twickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    974

    Default

    It's called a heart attack or aneurysm, Death. No need to get fancy.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member Slade1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Doing stuff like possessing a truck doesnt auto win.

    It could inconveniently be low on gas or pop a tire on a nail for example. :P

    If a tornado started forming, she would probably stumble into a crazy guys fallout bunker by accident. Or Storm would just happen to be in the area lol
    She does have limits though. I don't see her lasting long if Death is after her. She may luck out on a few occasions but sooner or later her powers are going to get overwhelmed.

  5. #20
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    She does have limits though. I don't see her lasting long if Death is after her. She may luck out on a few occasions but sooner or later her powers are going to get overwhelmed.
    Based on feats? When do we see her powers run out?
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;"
    - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."

    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics."
    -Captain Morgan

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Based on feats? When do we see her powers run out?
    Presumably based on the fact that she saw Juggernaut and was like "Yeah, nope imma head out". Supposedly this suggests that she didnt see any situation where her powers could overcome a danger on that scale.

    Like, even if a gas main happened to explode underneath him, then freak weather caused 6 lightning bolts to strike him and then to top it all off he tripped on his own shoes a dozen times while sun got in his eyes, there was realistically no way to beat him. So she took off. He would have been inconvenienced but inevitable.

    Maybe her powers could like... I dunno, drop a HUGE meteor on him. But then it would kill her to.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

  7. #22
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Presumably based on the fact that she saw Juggernaut and was like "Yeah, nope imma head out". Supposedly this suggests that she didnt see any situation where her powers could overcome a danger on that scale.

    Like, even if a gas main happened to explode underneath him, then freak weather caused 6 lightning bolts to strike him and then to top it all off he tripped on his own shoes a dozen times while sun got in his eyes, there was realistically no way to beat him. So she took off. He would have been inconvenienced but inevitable.

    Maybe her powers could like... I dunno, drop a HUGE meteor on him. But then it would kill her to.
    All of that is stuff that's well beyond Final Destination death, though.

    Also, people don't get downgraded here because of writing. I agree that she'd have trouble hurting Juggy, but he'd never, ever hit her based on the crap we see from here. Like, she could stand there in front of him and he'd just miss, or wind up with his shoelaces tied together and trip and fall.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;"
    - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."

    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics."
    -Captain Morgan

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member Slade1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    All of that is stuff that's well beyond Final Destination death, though.
    It absolutely isn't. It's a reality warping force of nature.

    Also, people don't get downgraded here because of writing. I agree that she'd have trouble hurting Juggy, but he'd never, ever hit her based on the crap we see from here. Like, she could stand there in front of him and he'd just miss, or wind up with his shoelaces tied together and trip and fall.
    You're arguing for a no limits fallacy. Does she then win against the LT?

  9. #24
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    It absolutely isn't. It's a reality warping force of nature.



    You're arguing for a no limits fallacy. Does she then win against the LT?
    I need to admit something before this statement: I haven't seen a Final Destination movie in a long time.

    That out of the way, the stuff that FD does to kill people is way, way less intense than the kinds of things that Domino strolls through casually.

    And no, I'm not at all arguing for a no-limits fallacy. The LT can wish her away just fine: where did you see me claim otherwise? Domino strolls casually through death infested areas without a scratch: the bad things coming for her generally help her towards her goal, in fact. Juggy might be able to get off a thunderclap against her, but it's just as likely that a chunk of bridge falls down and makes a shield for her randomly. He's basically infinitely unlikely to land a punch on her, based on what we've seen. He's much more likely to slip and fall while trying it. And still, she can't hurt him - nothing she does is on that level.

    Final destination stuff is like water runs and someone slips and falls into it, then a toaster falls into the water. Domino's powers are just going to make the slip cause her to skate to a cupcake shop, while just in case, a tree branch falls and kills the electricity to the neighborhood.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;"
    - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."

    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics."
    -Captain Morgan

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    It absolutely isn't. It's a reality warping force of nature.



    You're arguing for a no limits fallacy. Does she then win against the LT?
    Death sets up Rubegoldbergian combinations of slightly bad luck. It isn't portrayed as remotely omnipotent, and one person survives for an extended period simply by having herself to committed to a padded cell.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •