View Poll Results: Did Flashpoint ruined the Flash and the Flash Family ?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 61.25%
  • No

24 30.00%
  • Maybe

7 8.75%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Exactly. It still exists. It can still be enjoyed. It's not become a bad comic.
    In a vacuum, maybe. It doesn't exist in a vacuum, though, it exists as a piece of serialized fiction, once you read it with the notion of "Wally West almost couldn't deal with all this power that emanates from Barry Allen", it becomes pretty sucky, yes.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    In a vacuum, maybe. It doesn't exist in a vacuum, though, it exists as a piece of serialized fiction, once you read it with the notion of "Wally West almost couldn't deal with all this power that emanates from Barry Allen", it becomes pretty sucky, yes.
    The vast majority of readers will miss out on huge chunks of super-hero comic continuity. The vast majority of readers dip in and out of each series. The vast majority of readers know that there have been different takes over the decades that aren't always going to be entirely compatible. A rarely referenced piece of story continuity buried within hundreds of comics isn't the series ruining detriment you're making it out to be.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The problem is brushing wally under barry.trying to create a perception that wally is second rate flash.Many casual fans feel that way especially cause dc is purposefully pushing it.that's why wally being the fastest is hard for many casuals.because wally is for them and dc just a side character.side character being the best rarely happens.
    Wally could never be a side character for wally fans.for dc he undoubtedly is.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The problem is brushing wally under barry.trying to create a perception that wally is second rate flash.Many casual fans feel that way especially cause dc is purposefully pushing it.that's why wally being the fastest is hard for many casuals.because wally is for them and dc just a side character.side character being the best rarely happens.
    Wally could never be a side character for wally fans.for dc he undoubtedly is.
    This is it in a nutshell.
    DC doesn't give a rat's arse about Wally West.
    For the current regime, Barry Allen is the Flash. Their philosophy is to quote from a favourite movie of mine, "There can be only one."
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

The vast majority of readers will miss out on huge chunks of super-hero comic continuity.
    The vast majority of readers dip in and out of each series. The vast majority of readers know that there have been different takes over the decades that aren't always going to be entirely compatible. .
    I like when people talk for the vast majority of fans. Never seem the poll, everyone else uses. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A rarely referenced piece of story continuity buried within hundreds of comics isn't the series ruining detriment you're making it out to be
    Wasn't it one of the main concepts introduced in "the greatest Flash team up since Chain Lightning", "the biggest Geoff Johns Flash Family story" , one that's frequently still in print, recommended by DC in all it's social media channels (God knows why)?

If it can be used, yes it is.

I don't care how how you read your stories. I don't care how you think the vast majority of fans read theirs. That abomination of a retcon needs to be vivisected and cremated, and I'm standing by this.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

The way i see it, when lobdell or even Williamson says "wally west is the fastest in the Multiverse" or "wally outran speed force". It has backing of dc comics community in general and is accepted by them largely because of wally's progression and tenures as great character. They see it as some kind of payoff or justice for all the nonesense. Unlike, harley kneeing wally in the nuts. To add to that, It might not be acceptable to the casuals who are barry fans from tv and other media who keep up with comics via other means.

And the main point, it does not have the backing of Dc execs.it is seen as an afterthought by them. On the flip side, barry being "generator and creator of speed force". Is backed up and supported by dc execs. That's the main difference.

This notion that people don't care is false. Especially, if dc itself is setting the narrative and pushing things

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The way i see it, when lobdell or even Williamson says "wally west is the fastest in the Multiverse" or "wally outran speed force". It has backing of dc comics community in general and is accepted by them largely because of wally's progression and tenures as great character. They see it as some kind of payoff or justice for all the nonesense. Unlike, harley kneeing wally in the nuts. To add to that, It might not be acceptable to the casuals who are barry fans from tv and other media who keep up with comics via other means.

And the main point, it does not have the backing of Dc execs.it is seen as an afterthought by them. On the flip side, barry being "generator and creator of speed force". Is backed up and supported by dc execs. That's the main difference.

This notion that people don't care is false. Especially, if dc itself is setting the narrative and pushing things
    Well, Wally being the Fastest, even if only for a while, undoubtedly had to be run by DC execs, as there's been no character more micromanaged in recent history. Things may not be as grim for Wally right now, mainly because DC has got to realize they went too far.

But your general sentiment is correct: if it was up to the higher ups to do what they please without concern for fan feedback, they'd be back on that crap in the blink of an eye. And that doesn't screw up only Wally, though he, along with Jay, are the biggest victims.
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 01-24-2020 at 05:07 AM.

Well, Wally being the Fastest, even if only for a while, undoubtedly had to be run by DC execs, as there's been no character more micromanaged in recent history. Things may not be as grim for Wally right now, mainly because DC has got to realize they went too far.

But your general sentiment is correct: if it was up to the higher ups to do what they please without concern for fan feedback, they'd be back on that crap in the blink of an eye. And that doesn't screw up only Wally, though he, along with Jay, are the biggest victims.
    That's what i meant. Fan feedback is the only reason wally still has any importance. Otherwise, jay, wally.. Etc aren't backed by dc. Now, with importance of jsa it might change for jay. But, i don't think it will for wally. Its sad but true. Bart is going to have hard time too because young justice isn't doing that great.
    The current management only care and wants to push two flash characters wallace and barry.Just look at dceased or that batman last knight they shoved wallace and no signs of wally west ever existing. They wouldn't have wally west in other media as well. As far as dc is concerned wallace is wally. That's tge end of it
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-24-2020 at 05:43 AM.

Astonishing Member

I like when people talk for the vast majority of fans. Never seem the poll, everyone else uses. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I can say with absolute confidence that most Flash readers haven’t read every Flash comic. Most Batman readers haven’t read every Batman comic. Most Superman readers haven’t read every Superman comic.

I can say with absolute confidence that most Flash readers haven’t read every Flash comic. Most Batman readers haven’t read every Batman comic. Most Superman readers haven’t read every Superman comic.
    Okay, can you say with absolute certainty that the vast majority of readers havent read Rebirth?

Astonishing Member

Nowadays more have read Rebirth than Wally's run, though, so I'm not sure what point you're arguing with this one. It's much, much, much more likely for any new, future readers to read Flash Rebirth long before they ever read terminal velocity. Which colors and spoils it retroactively and unfortunately. For years, and still today, the most common suggestion to start with the Flash was unfortunately Flash Rebirth.

When most people say that nowadays, they mean the 2016 one i.e. the start of the current run, not the original.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    For the current regime, Barry Allen is the Flash. Their philosophy is to quote from a favourite movie of mine, "There can be only one."
    Except there wasn't only one. They made 5 more and talk of a remake! So, there can never be only one...

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    My philosophy comes from a different movie: "Your focus determines your reality."

Regardless of the overall perceived quality of THE PHANTOM MENACE as a movie, Qui-Gon Jinn was a great character.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Nowadays more have read Rebirth than Wally's run, though, so I'm not sure what point you're arguing with this one. It's much, much, much more likely for any new, future readers to read Flash Rebirth long before they ever read terminal velocity. Which colors and spoils it retroactively and unfortunately. For years, and still today, the most common suggestion to start with the Flash was unfortunately Flash Rebirth.
    It doesn't help that it started the "dead mom, imprisoned father" origin.