Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

[QUOTE=Tzigone;4786669]
    That gives it a whiff of "destiny" or "chosenness" to me, which I don't like for any characters (I do hate prophecy) since nobody else is getting dropped of on the island....actually, I guess some have (at least temporarily).
    Short of Diana herself doing it, which creates some weird continuity problems itself, there really isn't a feasible way of Donna getting to the island without some sort of divine intervention. Access to the island is forbidden except for when the goddesses allow it. Plus I'd like to have some time where Diana and Donna were both kids being raised by Hippolyta together, though Diana would of course be in the 11-13 range while Donna is an infant.

If Rhea rescues her, there is some unavoidable "destiny" stuff, but that was sort of in place anyway. As convoluted as some of that Titan Seed stuff was, it does come with new locations and a corner of Greek myth Donna can call her own that her big sister doesn't really have a claim on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Will she still be living on the island, as per original TT and traveling to work with them? Because I definitely don't want her in Diana's custody as a teen - that recasts the relationship to me, making Diana a quasi-parent, and that's just not what they were. And, of course, despite later comments/retcons, Donna and the other TTs were more like 15 than 13 when they formed. Well, Garth aged weird, and Donna's existence was weird. But Dick was absolutely definitely at least 15 (quite reasonably 16 or 17) and Wally at least 14.
    I'd have her be living on the island until she leaves to become Wonder Girl and pretty much live with Diana from that point on. I would like her to travel back and forth, but I also like Rucka's Rebirth Year One (and how it played into the origins of Cheetah, Cale, Deimos and Phobos, and Cyber) so I'd prefer that be kept. So when she leaves, she's pretty much stuck in Man's World until both she and Diana can regain access due to Ares escaping or whatever.

I'd think she'd have to leave early at a younger age than Diana to acclimate to our culture more quickly than Diana does. Especially as she's more of an "everywoman" than Diana who has a double identity and is starting her own business with Aurora Studios. I'd even have her lose her accent a little more than Diana when she learns English to distinguish them. So the younger the better, like around the same age as Dick after he's been Robin a couple years.

One issue with Donna's origin is that it's so dependant on things in Diana's origin and worldbuilding. Like how long has Diana been active in Man's World? Is it possible for her to get to Themyscira, and if so, under which circumstances? If an Olympian or other Greek god saved Donna and brought her to Themyscira, it opens up another whole slew of questions…

ETA: SiegePerilous02 covered a lot of this in more detail.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Spectacular Member

Short of Diana herself doing it, which creates some weird continuity problems itself, there really isn't a feasible way of Donna getting to the island without some sort of divine intervention. Access to the island is forbidden except for when the goddesses allow it
    It's not so much that gods have to give their approval than the fact it is very hard to greach. It's in Skyworld so i think if you have any means to travel from the multiverse to the sphere of gods, you can then access it. Problem is, except gods, very few people can do this (Constantine maybe, but at what cost ?!) or you need to find a natural portal (even rarer...)

Donna can be rescued when she's a preteen like the Titans show did.

Personally, I'd go for Donna and Nubia being Diana's sisters (Nubia via Hippolyta's marriage to Philippus).

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    One issue with Donna's origin is that it's so dependant on things in Diana's origin and worldbuilding. Like how long has Diana been active in Man's World? Is it possible for her to get to Themyscira, and if so, under which circumstances? If an Olympian or other Greek god saved Donna and brought her to Themyscira, it opens up another whole slew of questions…
    Some of the old stories used a "washed up on the beach" thing for children being sent to Paradise Island to be raised as Amazons. WHO does this isn't necessarily a single entity. Hippolyta probably doesn't know exactly which entities sent some of the Amazons. So even if Rhea isn't the one who normally does it, having her do it in Donna's case can work.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

There are ways of making this work. Diana serves with the JSA in the 1940s and then "retires" like in the movies but still operates in secret. Donna is one of the people she rescues in secret and since she has no family, is taken to Paradise Island where she is raised until the age of superheroes.
    Assassinate Putin!

Diana becomes the champion of the Amazons and is a clandestine superhero throughout several ages of humanity and the back-and-forth accessibility of Themyscira that Perez introduced is eventually reinstated by the goddesses after a several of Diana's earliest adventures and years of being away from Paradise Island.

The Amazons are a flourishing culture that thrives developing their own advancements in architecture, engineering, medicine, psychology, farming, communications, technology, art, design, energy, aeronautics, etc. Their citizenry is highly skilled in multiple forms of combat that are non-lethal, but can be turned into lethal tactics if the need arises.

During one adventure in Patriarch's World, a young Diana saves a four-year-old girl from a building fire. Unable to find her parents or someone to care for her, Diana takes the toddler back to Themyscira. The Amazons are overjoyed at her arrival and another opportunity to raise a young girl, like Diana, amongst themselves. The girl is named Donna based upon some embroidery found on a garment she was wearing when rescued by Wonder Woman and eventually becomes an adopted daughter, sister, and princess of the Amazons.

Amazons are immortal, but for mere mortals time passes more slowly, relatively, on Themyscira the longer you're there. Donna is raised and trained as an Amazon, a royal, artist, and a peacemaker by Hippolyta, Philippus, Diana, Io, and many other Amazons. Donna shows promise as an artist who is able to capture the nature of things or unique moments through her art - a skill that will lead her into becoming a photographer years later in Patriarch's World.

As a mortal woman raised amongst the immortal Amazons, Donna always struggled to keep up with the superhuman physicality of the Amazons, despite being skilled in what she'd been taught, given mortal considerations. She showed natural ability and proficiency in using a bo staff as a defensive and offensive weapon.

All that changed at age sixteen when in an adventure with the Amazons, Donna was given Amazonian powers.