Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,028

    Default Shiki Granbell (Edens Zero) vs. Asta (Black Clover)

    Just me testing the power levels of some of the newer shounen action stars that haven't been matched up yet.

    The current Demon King of the spaceship Edens Zero takes on the anti-magic mage of the Black Bulls.

    Who wins in an arena battle?

  2. #2
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    5,326

    Default

    I feel like you and I are about the only people who read Eden's Zero around here, which is a shame because I think it's a lot better than Fairy Tail.

    I'd personally back Asta here, he's got speed and skill on Shiki. Also, depending on how Ether Gear interacts with anti-magic, he might be able to ignore some of Shiki's techniques.

    He doesn't want to get hit much though, Shiki does hit like a truck.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Underbelly: A Mafia Intrigue RPG. Come and do crimes!
    Art Thread on CBR

  3. #3
    Reborn Samurai Len Ikari145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Right behind you.
    Posts
    3,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I feel like you and I are about the only people who read Eden's Zero around here, which is a shame because I think it's a lot better than Fairy Tail.

    I'd personally back Asta here, he's got speed and skill on Shiki. Also, depending on how Ether Gear interacts with anti-magic, he might be able to ignore some of Shiki's techniques.

    He doesn't want to get hit much though, Shiki does hit like a truck.
    Nah, I read it religiously. I just don't talk about it because it seemed like *I* was the only person who read it. Good to know that's not the case.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

    Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I feel like you and I are about the only people who read Eden's Zero around here, which is a shame because I think it's a lot better than Fairy Tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Nah, I read it religiously. I just don't talk about it because it seemed like *I* was the only person who read it. Good to know that's not the case.
    I had fallen off but caught in the last two days, and yeah it's just damn good. It feels a lot more planned out than Fairy Tail. There's some nice moral ambiguity here and there. The fights are more creative while still retaining that same level of energy and solid coreography as Fairy Tail's best battles. And it has a lot of really cool high end concepts, Xiaomei works really well as our omniscient narrator that can interact with the story.

    It's just really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'd personally back Asta here, he's got speed and skill on Shiki. Also, depending on how Ether Gear interacts with anti-magic, he might be able to ignore some of Shiki's techniques.

    He doesn't want to get hit much though, Shiki does hit like a truck.
    I wouldn't agree that Asta has the skill advantage here. Much like Luffy, Shiki is a really good brawler and is great at adapting on the fly to a given combat situation. He's also pulled off some rather impressive moves with his gravity powers showing that he knows how to use at least to the same extent as Asta does with his anti-magic.

    As for magimech against anti-magic. Remember that it's not Asta's body that's anti-magic, it's the swords. So I'd reckon that he'd still get affected and hurt by Shiki's techniques if he's hit. He might still be able to block and even cut the tecniques with the swords.

  5. #5
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    5,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I wouldn't agree that Asta has the skill advantage here. Much like Luffy, Shiki is a really good brawler and is great at adapting on the fly to a given combat situation. He's also pulled off some rather impressive moves with his gravity powers showing that he knows how to use at least to the same extent as Asta does with his anti-magic.
    I would disagree, Asta has a skill advantage to me for a couple of reasons.

    1) Experience - Asta has been active longer, has fought a greater variety of foes and is more consistently the underdog. There have been more instances of him being skillful in his wheelhouse than in Shiki's.
    2) Training - Asta has been training to be a knight and use a sword both prior to the start of his story but also in the context of his world, he is portrayed as a bit of a training freak. Shiki doesn't actually train that we see, he learnt a lot on his home planet but he's not shown keeping his skills sharp or trying to improve much.
    3) Diversity of opponent - The world of Black Clover tends to have a broader spectrum of fighting styles and Asta has fought against more of them. Shiki has mostly fought big dudes and robots while the gimmick fights have been taken care of by other members of the crew.

    While it's not like he's going to styling wildly over him, I'd give Asta the edge in skill myself.

    As for magimech against anti-magic. Remember that it's not Asta's body that's anti-magic, it's the swords. So I'd reckon that he'd still get affected and hurt by Shiki's techniques if he's hit. He might still be able to block and even cut the tecniques with the swords.
    Asta's demonic form, which he can use at will, wreathes him in anti-magical energy. If we assume ether works like magic then Shiki is going to have a hard time effecting him.


    Also, I'm reasonably sure Asta is quite a bit faster than Shiki with his flight.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Underbelly: A Mafia Intrigue RPG. Come and do crimes!
    Art Thread on CBR

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I would disagree, Asta has a skill advantage to me for a couple of reasons.

    1) Experience - Asta has been active longer, has fought a greater variety of foes and is more consistently the underdog. There have been more instances of him being skillful in his wheelhouse than in Shiki's.
    2) Training - Asta has been training to be a knight and use a sword both prior to the start of his story but also in the context of his world, he is portrayed as a bit of a training freak. Shiki doesn't actually train that we see, he learnt a lot on his home planet but he's not shown keeping his skills sharp or trying to improve much.
    3) Diversity of opponent - The world of Black Clover tends to have a broader spectrum of fighting styles and Asta has fought against more of them. Shiki has mostly fought big dudes and robots while the gimmick fights have been taken care of by other members of the crew.

    While it's not like he's going to styling wildly over him, I'd give Asta the edge in skill myself.
    I will grant that Asta has been active longer, especially with the recent timeskip, and has fought a more varied set of opponents. However, a lot of his wins have happened thanks to massive amounts of teamwork (one of my favourite aspects of Black Clover actually) and while he may be the underdog in terms of experience and conventional power, he's also got the big advantage of being able to negate and/or reflect most of his opponents' attacks and abilities. Now, I'm not saying that he's got no skill and only relies on his allies and the inherit advantage of his weapons, I do feel that these are important caveats at least.

    While we do see Asta train a lot more, it's often pretty basic exercises taken to an extreme limit. And since Shiki generally kicks a lot of butt without needing daily active training one could see it as him alreadly being skilled enough.

    However, I don't necessarily think that Shiki is more skilled than Asta. I'm more of the mind that both are so skilled that any difference is fairly negligible. Asta's ki-sense is what might give him the edge in this if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Asta's demonic form, which he can use at will, wreathes him in anti-magical energy. If we assume ether works like magic then Shiki is going to have a hard time effecting him.
    Mereoleona has knocked Asta out of Black Asta mode with a punch, and it is pretty clearly being boosted by magic. So even when he's in that mode he doesn't necessarily become immune to magical attacks. Or has he tanked any magic attacks while being Black Asta that I'm just blanking on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Also, I'm reasonably sure Asta is quite a bit faster than Shiki with his flight.
    Can't quite comment as I don't remember the best speed feats for either of them. Asta definitely has better travel speed.

  7. #7
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    5,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I will grant that Asta has been active longer, especially with the recent timeskip, and has fought a more varied set of opponents. However, a lot of his wins have happened thanks to massive amounts of teamwork (one of my favourite aspects of Black Clover actually) and while he may be the underdog in terms of experience and conventional power, he's also got the big advantage of being able to negate and/or reflect most of his opponents' attacks and abilities. Now, I'm not saying that he's got no skill and only relies on his allies and the inherit advantage of his weapons, I do feel that these are important caveats at least.

    While we do see Asta train a lot more, it's often pretty basic exercises taken to an extreme limit. And since Shiki generally kicks a lot of butt without needing daily active training one could see it as him alreadly being skilled enough.

    However, I don't necessarily think that Shiki is more skilled than Asta. I'm more of the mind that both are so skilled that any difference is fairly negligible. Asta's ki-sense is what might give him the edge in this if you ask me.
    I disagree with you myself. Asta is, to my mind, a better fighter who actually trains, studies and been taught fighting by more accomplished fighters than either himself or Shiki. Conversely, Shiki is a brawler who gets by on gimmicks which is exactly the kind of thing Asta fights all the time in his own series.

    Mereoleona has knocked Asta out of Black Asta mode with a punch, and it is pretty clearly being boosted by magic. So even when he's in that mode he doesn't necessarily become immune to magical attacks. Or has he tanked any magic attacks while being Black Asta that I'm just blanking on?
    He took a ton of punishment from Licht when he and Yuno fought him together and from... the guy in the woods in the witch queen arc... when he first unlocked his demon form. Like destroying significant chunks of hills and reducing them to piles of boiling lava so it certainly seems to up his resistance to magic/damage by a hell of a lot.

    Can't quite comment as I don't remember the best speed feats for either of them. Asta definitely has better travel speed.
    His flightspeed is pretty ridiculous and he does seem to have feats of pinpoint manoeuvres and blitzing using said flight speed.

    Certainly seems faster than Shiki.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Underbelly: A Mafia Intrigue RPG. Come and do crimes!
    Art Thread on CBR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •