Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Floppy's are only dying because of their prices.
    Prices is but one factor. The other is the limited distribution channels. There is a reason why DC's Zoom and Ink lines aren't in the floppy form factor and distribution format.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  2. #17

    Default

    Single issues will always be around because they are cheaper and provide a faster return on investment, but there will likely be a change to the current status quo where companies are using the same comic for multiple revenue streams (IE- digital, Trade Paperback, single issues.)

    It's likely that many titles won't be released in single issue formats. But some stuff will.

  3. #18
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Now that is a legitimate concern. It seems to me that Marvel is creeping up on the $4.99 plateau. You see it with debut issues of new comics or a new mini series. There is a few more pages for that extra dollar but I don't know if I will be as willing to try out new stuff at those prices.
    This is why when I want to read comics I just subscribe to Marvel Unlimited for less than $10 a month.

    I still have most of my older comics (mainly because I still use artists like Rick Leonardi, Arthur Adams, and Travis Charest as artistic references) but I don't really see the point of buying new ones when I can read almost infinitely more comics online for a lot less money.

    On the one hand I feel bad for not supporting the newer titles when they first come out, but on the other hand I know I'd do so if the price was right.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-18-2020 at 11:07 AM.

  4. #19
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Now that is a legitimate concern. It seems to me that Marvel is creeping up on the $4.99 plateau. You see it with debut issues of new comics or a new mini series. There is a few more pages for that extra dollar but I don't know if I will be as willing to try out new stuff at those prices.
    Kind of noticed more $4.99 Marvel titles lately as well, like you said, new number 1s and mini series, but if they decide to basically go five bucks across the board I'll definitely have to consider waiting for the tpbs.

  5. #20
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    This is why when I want to read comics I just subscribe to Marvel Unlimited for less than $10 a month.

    I still have most of my older comics (mainly because I still use artists like Rick Leonardi, Arthur Adams, and Travis Charest as artistic references) but I don't really see the point of buying new ones when I can read almost infinitely more comics online for a lot less money.

    On the one hand I feel bad for not supporting the newer titles when they first come out, but on the other hand I know I'd do so if the price was right.
    Oh, I have a Marvel Unlimited subscription too and I love it, especially for series I missed. But I still buy the Fantastic Four every month and the now the new Doctor Doom series. I dropped the Avengers, and haven't kept up with the multiple relaunches of Doctor Strange. But if I hear good things about them, I can go back and pull them up on my Marvel Unlimited as you said. Plus you get those yearly goodie packages, which I usually given to one of my nephews or nieces in the case of the Captain Marvel from a couple years back.

  6. #21
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Oh, I have a Marvel Unlimited subscription too and I love it, especially for series I missed. But I still buy the Fantastic Four every month and the now the new Doctor Doom series. I dropped the Avengers, and haven't kept up with the multiple relaunches of Doctor Strange. But if I hear good things about them, I can go back and pull them up on my Marvel Unlimited as you said. Plus you get those yearly goodie packages, which I usually given to one of my nephews or nieces in the case of the Captain Marvel from a couple years back.
    I tend to do the same, but mainly when I see work from an artist I like, such as Sara Pichelli (Spider-Man, Guardians) or Jerome Opena (X-Force, Avengers).

    I have no problem paying four or five dollars for quality artwork -- in some cases (like the Wildcats/X-Men crossover by Charest) I feel it's worth a lot more.

    Speaking of which, I need to pick up Seinkiewicz' New Mutants one-shot, since his early work on that title is one of the reasons I started collecting comics.

    https://www.newsarama.com/47066-chri...interview.html
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-18-2020 at 09:59 PM.

  7. #22
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,096

    Default

    Monthly issues have cheated death more times than Sam and Dean Winchester put together.

    While there might be a time when they are a thing of the past, I'm not so sure that there will be any predicting just when it will be.

  8. #23
    A Gentle Woman Mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Corner Office
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Floppy's are only dying because of their prices.
    Not to mention their content. The need to be PC/SJW has sucked the creativity and storytelling out of the books. CB used to be out being a hero (ie. the bigger person) now it's about narcissism and need to see oneself reflected in the books. I mean if I want to see people like me, I can get that for free by sitting in the food court at the mall. The X-Men for instance used to be overcoming prejudice and not allowing your enemies to define you. Now it's about retiring to a corner because the world won't bow down and worship them. Batman- a self made man- has turned into Catwoman's dog on a leash. This is not inspiring.

    I can't tell the last comic book I picked up that I want to re-read. As it is I purchase about 5 books. Two are Image titles and one is about to be cancelled after 6 issues. So there you go.
    Therefore I urge you who have been chosen by God to live up to the life to which God called you. Always be humble, gentle, and patient. Ephesians 4:1-2

  9. #24
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I tend to do the same, but mainly when I see work from an artist I like, such as Sara Pichelli (Spider-Man, Guardians) or Jerome Opena (X-Force, Avengers).

    I have no problem paying four or five dollars for quality artwork -- in some cases (like the Wildcats/X-Men crossover by Charest) I feel it's worth a lot more.

    Speaking of which, I need to pick up Seinkiewicz' New Mutants one-shot, since his early work on that title is one of the reasons I started collecting comics.

    https://www.newsarama.com/47066-chri...interview.html
    I might get that one too since it is rare to see Sienkiewicz on a book these days. I will pick up a reasonably priced variant now and then but not a 1/25 that will go for insane prices. Those are only for speculators who flip them on eBay,

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Not to mention their content. The need to be PC/SJW has sucked the creativity and storytelling out of the books. CB used to be out being a hero (ie. the bigger person) now it's about narcissism and need to see oneself reflected in the books. I mean if I want to see people like me, I can get that for free by sitting in the food court at the mall. The X-Men for instance used to be overcoming prejudice and not allowing your enemies to define you. Now it's about retiring to a corner because the world won't bow down and worship them. Batman- a self made man- has turned into Catwoman's dog on a leash. This is not inspiring.
    I'm going to go out and call bullshit on that.

    What used to be the case was that mainly white dudes were allowed to be heroes. Opening that up to other people and groups is a good thing.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm going to go out and call bullshit on that.

    What used to be the case was that mainly white dudes were allowed to be heroes. Opening that up to other people and groups is a good thing.
    Agreed .

  12. #27
    Mighty Member Enigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Agreed .
    Going to have to join you there.
    Enigma's YouTube Channel! | Enigma's Collection!
    "Live a poem... or die a fool!"

  13. #28
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Not to mention their content. The need to be PC/SJW has sucked the creativity and storytelling out of the books. CB used to be out being a hero (ie. the bigger person) now it's about narcissism and need to see oneself reflected in the books. I mean if I want to see people like me, I can get that for free by sitting in the food court at the mall. The X-Men for instance used to be overcoming prejudice and not allowing your enemies to define you. Now it's about retiring to a corner because the world won't bow down and worship them. Batman- a self made man- has turned into Catwoman's dog on a leash. This is not inspiring.

    I can't tell the last comic book I picked up that I want to re-read. As it is I purchase about 5 books. Two are Image titles and one is about to be cancelled after 6 issues. So there you go.
    Well, I'll agree that there's some professionally released that have shockingly substandard art or scripts, but that's a problem in craft and editing, not because of political correctness.

  14. #29
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm going to go out and call bullshit on that.

    What used to be the case was that mainly white dudes were allowed to be heroes. Opening that up to other people and groups is a good thing.
    Thing is though, the Big 2 have been trying to add diversity ( however good or bad the characters were) for years. Why it was suddenly deemed "forced" a few years ago is what was nuts to me.

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Thing is though, the Big 2 have been trying to add diversity ( however good or bad the characters were) for years. Why it was suddenly deemed "forced" a few years ago is what was nuts to me.
    I'd quibble with the "trying to add".

    However, I think I have some parts of the answers to your question. As long as women, or queer people, or black, or other minority groups were confined to the margins as teammates, tokens, or fringe titles, then they were no threat. They were an alibi. "Some of my friends are black."

    But once the former marginalised group becomes too successful, there will be a backlash. The Sad Puppies, Gamergate, and similar movements are violent examples, both because of former marginalised groups demanding space both in general and doing so successfully in the creative areas. Samuel R Delany wrote a really great article on it in his "Racism and Science Fiction".

    Or Youtuber fandom musings in her movie essay "Attack on Captain Marvel: A casual look at the backlash against recent female lead superheroes" looking at similar mechanisms against women.

    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •