Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Jim Lee's made the following Poison Ivy sketch for a charity auction where proceeds go to aiding LCS's at this time of need

The Digital First Batman comic arriving this Tuesday with Poison Ivy

Batman Tuesday: Batman: Gotham Nights #3 “Law of the Jungle” by Michael Grey, Ryan Benjamin, Richard Friend, Alex Sinclair and Troy Peteri

Batman is hot on the trail of a series of murders in Brazil, where government officials and various captains of industry have been mysteriously murdered by their own bodyguards. None of the assailants knew each other, but the Bodyguard Murders story went viral. As the Dark Knight starts assembling the pieces of the puzzle, he notices the things all these victims have in common are a connection to the logging industry, a penchant for bribes...and a woman who goes by the name POISON IVY.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The Digital First Batman comic arriving this Tuesday with Poison Ivy

I hope they use a different design in the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope they use a different design in the interior.
    There is a preview, but we don't get to see Ivy in it. Note that I think the story is a reprint from an earlier Batman Giant.

We'll have to see how the story goes when it arrives, but the introduction doesn't inspire me with confidence. Batman is in Brazil to defend the loggers, while in reality it is the loggers who are the murderers.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Found on twitter, by Aina

Larger size at link.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

In Gotham Nights #3 "Law of the Jungle", Batman goes to Brazil, to investigate a series of murders of logging barons and their allies. He suspects Ra's al Ghul, but finds out that it was Poison Ivy who committed them. They fight, and Ivy turns into a Nasty Excessively Violent Woman, unable to control herself. Batman manages to subdue Ivy with the help of one of the native inhabitants of the Amazon jungles. He brings back Ivy to Arkham and decides to buy some jungle to turn into a nature preserve once he gets back. The end.

There is so much wrong with this story that I hardly know where to begin. To start, the loggers and their enablers are guilty of murders and terrorism, and lots of them. Why didn't Batman investigate those? Having a nasty and violent Ivy isn't necessarily wrong per so, but to me it's the least interesting take on her as a character, and it ties into the strong theme in misogyny that women are incapable of reason, and it feels like it does a disservice to the many more nuanced take on the character that we have seen.

Third, Batman decides to protect the rainforest by buying a piece of it, which again serves to push a solution on capitalist terms, where everything is a matter of ownership and money. But real-life loggers in the area don't stop at murders, so why would some signs with the text "Property of Wayne Enterprises" stop them?

Art felt flat, but there was nothing that could salvage this moral turd of a story.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    In Gotham Nights #3 "Law of the Jungle", Batman goes to Brazil, to investigate a series of murders of logging barons and their allies. He suspects Ra's al Ghul, but finds out that it was Poison Ivy who committed them. They fight, and Ivy turns into a Nasty Excessively Violent Woman, unable to control herself. Batman manages to subdue Ivy with the help of one of the native inhabitants of the Amazon jungles. He brings back Ivy to Arkham and decides to buy some jungle to turn into a nature preserve once he gets back. The end.

There is so much wrong with this story that I hardly know where to begin. To start, the loggers and their enablers are guilty of murders and terrorism, and lots of them. Why didn't Batman investigate those? Having a nasty and violent Ivy isn't necessarily wrong per so, but to me it's the least interesting take on her as a character, and it ties into the strong theme in misogyny that women are incapable of reason, and it feels like it does a disservice to the many more nuanced take on the character that we have seen.

Third, Batman decides to protect the rainforest by buying a piece of it, which again serves to push a solution on capitalist terms, where everything is a matter of ownership and money. But real-life loggers in the area don't stop at murders, so why would some signs with the text "Property of Wayne Enterprises" stop them?

Art felt flat, but there was nothing that could salvage this moral turd of a story.
    wow...that's a terrible story indeed. Being Brazilian this take on it specially hits hard since our maniac president wettest dreams is to sell all our natural resources. Oh and kill everybody that isn't a white, straight, rich male in the process.
    A picture would last longer darling...

In a way, the premise of "Law of the Jungle" reminds me of Rucka's The Hiketeia. In that story, Batman is chasing a murderer—Danielle Wellys—who is going after the people who forced her sister into prostitution and drug addiction, and was killed by that. In this story, Batman is chasing a murderer who is going after people who destroy the forest (and who in real life murders and terrorises the people in their way).

Both stories feature setups of crimes that Batman fails to prosecute. But where The Hiketeia is told from Wonder Woman's point of view, and gives Danielle a voice, this one is told from Batman's point of view and denies Ivy her voice, by presenting her as deranged and neurotic. The moral edge of the story in The Hiketeia is firmly pointed at Batman, while the one in Law of the Jungle removes any kind of moral edge in order to affirm Batman's moral hegemony.

As a result, the story fails to say anything.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Oh look! Batman being the embodiment of white man capitalism and globalism again. Just buy the land of developing nations for their own sake. White man's burden amarite! Poor people bad. Why can't they just get better jobs in an overcompetitive market that pays pennies? Batman writers should simply return Bruce on beating mentally ill people.

I loved the most recent Harley Quinn episode. Ivy was great as usual in it.

I love doing these virtual paper dolls. Las ones I tried were the Sailor Moon styled ones for the Gotham City Sirens.

I did them as proper Sailor girls:

Sailor-Gotham.jpg

and also as villains for the show:

Sailor-Sirens.jpg
    A picture would last longer darling...

I heard Ivy has a no-killing rule now? I know she won't kill children.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I heard Ivy has a no-killing rule now? I know she won't kill children.
    Ivy's always had reasons for killing, and only kills people she thinks need to die.

I do like the Harley Quinn show. But I can't get over Ivy's personality. She was more outgoing in other things. It's not bad but you know.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Poison Ivy as she appeared in Justice #6 (August, 2006). Art by Doug Braithwaite and Alex Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I loved the most recent Harley Quinn episode. Ivy was great as usual in it.
    Great twist with the Joker stealing Ivy's childhood tragedy to manipulate a vulnerable Dr. Quinzel. As someone said on Twitter, it makes a point that the person Harley fell in love with was Ivy all along, at least in the show's universe (which the showrunners joked took place on Earth 69 during a DC Universe Q and A).