Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    We clearly have very different standards as to what and excellent director or a complex storyline is. I still think Catwoman and Poison Ivy would work in amore intellectual setting. This was just to silly and easy.
    The moving parts of the movie:

Three plot threads: Harley getting chased by angry people, Roman chasing Cassandra (and the diamond), and Huntress's vendetta.

Each of the five Gotham City Spice Girls have a different relation to Roman, and to each other, and each of them reach and make their decisions independently.

Tale told out-of-order, with several flashbacks.

Plot-wise, this was seriously complex. It only appears simple because it was executed so well.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

As I understood it from rumors, the "sequel" would be Gotham City Sirens.

BANNED

Gotham City Sirens is definitely one of those things I thought I would like a lot more than I actually did. The characters are very different thematically and so bringing them together is a case of the whole being less than the sum of its parts. None of them work particularly well as supporting characters, so it tends to be more a case of competing storylines fighting for panel space rather than an developing a compelling team dynamic. And you know that a film adaptation will try to turn Harley into the lead which just seems weird given that she's silly comic relief of the trio.

Back on topic! A new concept thing from Stjepan Sejic

a concept idea for Isley. kinda based on how all the parliament of the trees members usually have that swamp thing nose thing and then it hit me, what if during the one glorious moment ivy truly channels the green she develops those traits as well
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Batman Tales: Once Upon A Crime has two fun Poison Ivy appearances, and the one in the final story of the collection is gorgeous.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Back on topic! A new concept thing from Stjepan Sejic

She looks like Hela.

Also, Vines and Roses #1 dropped today. As an old faned of paper fanzines (though at the tail end of their time) and sf fan it looks and reads a bit odd to me as a fanzine, but no matter. I recommend downloading the PDF.

(Fanzines to me implies a very strong authorial voice and presence and a strong focus on communication with readers and other faneds. But I'm the first to admit that classical fanzine culture is long dead and gone now.)

Interview with Stjepan Sejic over at Newsarama. Includes various pieces of concept art, but I think everything of that has been published over on his twitter or on DeviantArt.

But it contains a major piece of nice news for Poison Ivy!

Šejic: My plan is to produce Isley before the second Harleen story arc. My reasoning is two-fold.

First, I have a very cool story to tell about Harleen’s version of Poison Ivy. A truly epic tale that will be both a visual and a narrative joy. If Harleen was more of a psychological thriller. this one will be more of a blockbuster with a lot of heart.

The second reason is, I want people to truly understand the actual glorious mess that Poison Ivy is. It plays into her evolving relationship with Harley and really fleshes out her motivations.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Interview with Stjepan Sejic over at Newsarama. Includes various pieces of concept art, but I think everything of that has been published over on his twitter or on DeviantArt.

But it contains a major piece of nice news for Poison Ivy!
    So is the series greenlit? Does Sejic have free reign to do Isley after the success of Harleen? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    So is the series greenlit? Does Sejic have free reign to do Isley after the success of Harleen? I'm confused.
    No idea. The "Harley & Joker" damned well ought to be greenlit (the HC is #1 on Amazon for superhero comics & graphic novels, and #14 for all comics & graphics novels, including beating a lot of Kindle editions), but I think Sejic would prefer to do "Isley" first.

On the other hand, I think he wouldn't speak like that if he didn't have it pretty much in the bag from DC's side. But the man is busy with his own stuff as well, but if I were DC I'd give the man a hefty advance in order to move things along, and just let him tell the stories he wants to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Ladies in love and larceny .

Bonus points for using a good Ivy costume .

More Stjepan Sejic concept work:

Ivy as the new Avatar of the Green:

Last edited by Confuzzled; 02-16-2020 at 09:07 AM.