Incredible Member

Default Why are 'appreciation threads' started year over year?

Why not just have an appreciation thread that keeps going and if it winds up closing due to people not posting start a new one then?

Astonishing Member

Some people think it's fun to create appreciation threads.

The admins decided at the end of 2018 to close all appreciation threads because, if I remember right, there were some site stability issues at the time and they thought long threads was to blame. But new ones could still be created. And that's an annual policy from now on. In other words, don't bother making new threads in December - they'll still get locked come December 31st.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

That's correct. Some that had continued to grow for year after year would have thousands of posts and after a while I think the database indexing and retrievals started to degrade the performance of the site's servers.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Why not just have an appreciation thread that keeps going and if it winds up closing due to people not posting start a new one then?
    The Appreciation threads never worked that way. They were never closed for lack of activity, quite the opposite. Before this yearly purge, the mods would close down the most active appreciation thread when they reached an abundance of pages, and let them start a new iteration.

Plus mods close down / merge duplicate threads, so lack of activity isn't a reason to start a new version of an appreciation thread. Check out the Appreciation Thread Index stickied at the top of the forum to see if a character has a thread.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...n-thread-index

What I don't understand, is why the admin mods changed / stripped out all the cool thread titles in the first couple of days? Besides being annoying, they aren't keeping up with it, so anyone that started an appreciation after the first few days can have whatever title they want, with whatever formatting they want. Hardly fair.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Yeah, I didn't ask the mods to do it, but those shorter titles actually benefit me - I'm the one who made and maintains the appreciation index threads. Longer titles mean longer links, and there's a character limit (that's why post 2 is reserved). But I agree, they should be renaming either all threads, or none. A thread renamed by an admin can't be changed back either - which is annoying, as one of the new DC appreciation thread indexes I made had 2020 added to the title - since what I did in the Marvel ones was to actually move old links to the bottom and clear the top posts to use for the new links, and that's what I'll do each year from now on, that means the same thread will stay open after the yearly lockdown - so the year doesn't belong in the thread name.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    What I don't understand, is why the admin mods changed / stripped out all the cool thread titles in the first couple of days? Besides being annoying, they aren't keeping up with it, so anyone that started an appreciation after the first few days can have whatever title they want, with whatever formatting they want. Hardly fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, I didn't ask the mods to do it, but those shorter titles actually benefit me - I'm the one who made and maintains the appreciation index threads. Longer titles mean longer links, and there's a character limit (that's why post 2 is reserved). But I agree, they should be renaming either all threads, or none. A thread renamed by an admin can't be changed back either - which is annoying, as one of the new DC appreciation thread indexes I made had 2020 added to the title - since what I did in the Marvel ones was to actually move old links to the bottom and clear the top posts to use for the new links, and that's what I'll do each year from now on, that means the same thread will stay open after the yearly lockdown - so the year doesn't belong in the thread name.
    A mod changed the title of the appreciation thread I started, and I asked him in private if he could put it back the way it was before, with a bit of context as to why I had written my title the way I did in the first place. He changed it back right away, leaving out the word "thread" in the title as he said it was redundant (they did the same for all the appreciation threads). So if you really want your title the way you first wrote it, you can always ask a mod if he wants to change it back
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff