Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Battle of the Franchises

Thought I would have a little fun with this one. What franchise is the best and why?

So I will try something a bit different, when it comes to Marvel and DC cinematic films those will be viewed as culmination of mini franchises so the full culmination can't be part of the comparison. This should make for a more apples to apples comparison.

For example Iron Man 1, 2, & 3 would be a franchise as well as Thor 1, 2, and 3 would be considered a separate franchise.

I'm starting with only 3 but will add more input on others as the discussion goes on. For me Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and The Dark Knight Trilogy are ahead of the packs. See my ranking below:

Best - Lord of the Rings. It did a good job of keeping close to the books as well as the acting, action, and having a huge cultural impact.

Second Best - Harry Potter it would've been first if it wasnt for the awful Goblet of Fire adaption.

Third Best - I love me some Batman but TDKR didn't out due TDK and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman was a miss.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 01-14-2020 at 05:59 PM.

For me the best two Franchises becaue they didnt have any movies that were a disappointment is Captain America trilogy and The Apes trilogy. The worst movie in both is the first and I still really like both those movies and think 2 and 3 in both franchises is great.

TDKR takes that trilogy out for me personally. Ironman 2 take Ironman out. If we could count Civil war, Infinty war, endgame as a mini franchise that would make my list. But if I have to use Ultron then nope.

For longevity, I don't think anything beats James Bond.

Star Wars OT should be considered.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Best, IMHO are Star Trek and Star Wars. Will have to think of a third.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Do all the various Spider-Man movies count as one franchise?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-14-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Do all the various Spider-Man movies count as one franchise?
    No raimi and MCU Spidey are separate. So if you love the OG trilogy that counts. Otherwise Hobbit would count against LOTR. Batman and Robin against Nolans Films.

Also if MCU dont count then James Bond doesnt either.. you have to pick one actors string of films.

All have their pros and cons. I cannot rank them by the best, even objectivity.

Lord of the Rings has been stained badly by the prequels. the LOTR prequels are much much worse than the star wars prequels. but LOTR still has the best trilogy ever.

Harry Potter films were well made films but were derivate takes of the books. After the success of Game of thrones and hopefully the Lord of the Rings amazon series, fantasy stories with rich worlds works better on TV.

MCU is one and the same, I equate iron man and thor as the same thing, they have a formula that seems to work for them.

Star Trek, Batman , James Bond, and X-Men are hit or miss franchises but it gave them some level of good longevity. they kept coming back with various new characters and incarnation of their series. sometimes a hit, sometimes a miss.

Superman and Spiderman need a break through live action film again.

Star Wars is still the most iconic movie franchise of all time but now its at ground zero destruction thanks to the Disney star wars movies.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-15-2020 at 04:15 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    For me the best two Franchises becaue they didnt have any movies that were a disappointment is Captain America trilogy and The Apes trilogy. The worst movie in both is the first and I still really like both those movies and think 2 and 3 in both franchises is great.

TDKR takes that trilogy out for me personally. Ironman 2 take Ironman out. If we could count Civil war, Infinty war, endgame as a mini franchise that would make my list. But if I have to use Ultron then nope.
    Are you talking about the Matt Reeves Apes trilogy?

1. Lotor- All franchise all generally flawed but the third movie is as good or better than first movie and it has satisfying ending.

2. Avengers- Obviously the second movie isn't the greatest but it is exaggerated how bad it is , but the fun part is you can pretty much ignore it so that why it is here for me and Infinity Wars and Endgame more than make up for it. Once again I think the last movie is as good or better than the first movie and it has a satisfying end

3. a .Mission Impossible franchise is a bunch of solid movies
    3. b.Harry Potter franchise is a bunch of solid movies
    3. c. Captain America is a bunch of solid movies

4. Terminator 1,2,3- The obvious flaw is the last one but it is not as bad people make it out to be. The first two are good

5. Jurassic Park(whole series)- I can't remember not enjoying a movie but I am pretty sure they have made basically the same movie a couple of times

Of course that is just how I feel right now because between Batman, Bourne, Die Hard, Star Wars, Fast & Furious, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Matrix, Alien, Back to Future, Indiana Jones, John Wick, etc You can ask me again later I am sure the list is going to change. I am fine with first two though

I have said it and i will say it again, the best franchise ever for me is Gundam. Amazing how they managed to keep such a good level of quality over something like 40 years worth of shows, movies and oavs. Some not so good shows here and there of course but overall? That's amazing and Zeta Gundam for me is the best piece of sci-fi ever made. I rank it way higher than Star Trek or its slow cousin Star Wars.

Harry Potter, you know, i hate how they butchered some characters just to make some others shine (like how they murder Ron and turn Hermione into wonder woman) but all in all that's one fine job. Sure, goblet of fire sucks and it was really pointless to make two movies for the Deathly Hallows but eh, money right? Gotta milk them while you can.

Raimi's Spidey, Spider Man 2 is still to this day my favorite super hero movie.

I just remembered that Harry Potter is beginning to show signs of cracks. The Fantastic Beasts movies are problematic. JK Rowling is an amazing author of books but she is not a screen writer, the fantastic beast movies feel too dense for films. she should have written the books first then let WB make films about it.

Also of all the harry potter lore, back story prequel films about the 4 founding fathers of Hogwarts set in the mediaeval ages would have been better prequels than the fantastic beasts concept. I would have loved to have seen a Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor showdown In movies and how they built Hogwarts than watch some wizard dude chase beasts. the best movie franchises do make big mistakes, but the good thing is most fans are honest and can talk about it , which is not the case for all franchises.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-15-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Third Best - I love me some Batman but TDKR didn't out due TDK and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman was a miss.
    I thought Anne's Catwoman was the most faithful portrayal of the character.

Michelle Pfeiffer gave the best performance in Batman Returns, no doubt but Anne captured her characterization from the comics more. Selina Kyle is more of a grey character who is willing to change or fall on the side of good because of her love for Bruce/Batman. I think Anne showcased that most important trait of her character well, while Michelle didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Are you talking about the Matt Reeves Apes trilogy?
    Yes I am. .

Harry potter was not perfect. Goblet of fire and half blooded prince was a mess with plot points cut out. The movie version didn't even have much of the half blood prince in it. Also they lost their fun and turned batman v superman and got to dark and depressing. The early ones are the best to me. Once baldy came book they lost most of the fun of their early films. Don't care for fantastic beasts as much. I liked the magic school part of harry potter and taking place in the past also just made me not care about it.

I would say toy story but there are people who hated 4 feeling it made woody a hypocrite and hated the way they made bonnie. (I didn't mind those but did see it as not as good as 3.)

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    JK Rowling is an amazing author of books but she is not a screen writer
    Poor woman is experiencing what the scientists call the "George Lucas syndrome", AKA the "Ridley Scott complex", she has reached such a level of notoriety that everyone just say yes to every crap she has the misfortune to come with. (and boy, she sure had no shortages of those since the end of the last HP book, good f***ing god...)

A swift kick in the butt tend to help. It did work for George and thanks the Force he is sane again now.