Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why didn't Hasbro set GIJOE and TF in the same universe?

I think it was a HUGE mistake, even in the cartoon they are in the same universe.

GIJOE cannot stand on its own, and with GIJOE we won't have to endure those boring human characters in TF.

Isnt that what they were supposedly gonna do? Along with some other Hasbro IPs. Maybe the DCEU stumbles and the Failure of the Dark Universe changed their mind. More likely it's the fact the transformers movies declined in popularity. But that was the supposed plan not that long ago. Maybe it still is I dont know

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Isnt that what they were supposedly gonna do? Along with some other Hasbro IPs. Maybe the DCEU stumbles and the Failure of the Dark Universe changed their mind. More likely it's the fact the transformers movies declined in popularity. But that was the supposed plan not that long ago. Maybe it still is I dont know
    TF was a success before the start of MCU, GIJOE should have set in the same universe.

given the military co-characters in several of the Transformers movies, you could argue that GI Joe types were unofficially a part of those films. The Josh Duhamel character was more or less Duke, for example. Works for me. The Tyrese character came across like Alpine.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    TF was a success before the start of MCU, GIJOE should have set in the same universe.
    Ok your asking why they didnt do it from the jump. Yea I dont know but they did plan to do it later and for all I know they might still be planning that. We got a snake eyes movie coming. Rumors were John Cena's character from Bumble bee would also be in a GI joe movie but I dont see that happening now.

GiJoe could have stood on its own, it did as a cartoon, comic, and toyline for years, but they were terrible movies. Also the recently made GiJoe Resolute and short live animated series were pretty good too.

GI Joe and Transformers have nothing in common. There's no point to force them together. (Also, as far as the Transformers movies having boring characters, the answer to that is just have good writing, like in Bumblebee.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yes both the comics and cartoons are in the same universe but the comic only crossed over here and there. they stayed in their own stories more or less. Cartoon had more nods like cobra commander and hawks daughter in transformers, dinobot island in gijoe and inhumanoids on a news show in jem.

As for movies gijoe can stand on it's own as the marvel comics were well written and lasted over 100 issues plus 3 spin-off comics and limited series!

transformers had some great stories also and lasted 80 issues and limited series and in uk lasted over 100 issues!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

The cartoon sunbow universe includes the follow shows in the same universe--

Gijoe (sunbow series)
    gijoe (dic series)
    Gijoe the movie
    Gijoe greatest evil tv special
    Sgt savage and his screaming eagles
    gijoe extreme
    cops
    inhumoids
    jem
    transformers
    transformers the movie
    beast wars
    beast machines
    mask (not at first but later reconned into the universe with mask now part of gijoe)
    vor-tech

Unconfirmed if robotix and bigfoot and the muscle machines is in the universe. Same with visionaries.

This makes up the sunbow universe.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-15-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Incredible Member

transformers and gi joe cartoon were set in diffrerent times , didn't cobra commander appear in one tf g1 episode as a has been

Simple answer:

The thought never crossed their minds as this was BEFORE the MCU took off.

That said, I believe they've been planning a Hasbro Cinematic Universe for a while. The idea is to have Transformers, G.I. Joe, Micronauts, M.A.S.K., Rom: Spaceknight, Visionaries, and probably Power Rangers as well. They've planned this for a while, but haven't spoken of it but last I checked I believe it's still on the cards (they delayed Micronauts to better plan the universe). Bumblebee went from a Bayformers prequel to a full-on reboot, which could be used to launch Snake Eyes (also a reboot) and Micronauts into that universe, and then everything else. Just be careful. The reason the MCU is the only successful cinematic universe is because they actually took the time to build it, not rush to the big pay-off to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    transformers and gi joe cartoon were set in diffrerent times , didn't cobra commander appear in one tf g1 episode as a has been
    The Transformers series did a time jump with the animated movie; the Cobra Commander episode is set after.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Yup s1 and s2 took place in the 80s and s3 was in 2005. (the future!) That's why flint is a old man with a daughter in transformers s3 and cobra commander has gone solo.

Gijoe would later take a time jump with gijoe extreme however they start in the sgt savage special where 80s joes like hawk and lady jay pass the torch to the extreme team.

Boisterously Confused

There's some logical troubles in such a shared verse. If the Autobots co-existed in GIJoe's environment, it seems like Cobra wouldn't survive very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Simple answer:

The thought never crossed their minds as this was BEFORE the MCU took off.

That said, I believe they've been planning a Hasbro Cinematic Universe for a while. The idea is to have Transformers, G.I. Joe, Micronauts, M.A.S.K., Rom: Spaceknight, Visionaries, and probably Power Rangers as well. They've planned this for a while, but haven't spoken of it but last I checked I believe it's still on the cards (they delayed Micronauts to better plan the universe). Bumblebee went from a Bayformers prequel to a full-on reboot, which could be used to launch Snake Eyes (also a reboot) and Micronauts into that universe, and then everything else. Just be careful. The reason the MCU is the only successful cinematic universe is because they actually took the time to build it, not rush to the big pay-off to fail.
    Theres two other successful Cinematuc universes. The Monsterverse (not a massive success but one nonethe less) and The Conjuringverse)

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There's some logical troubles in such a shared verse. If the Autobots co-existed in GIJoe's environment, it seems like Cobra wouldn't survive very long.
    Easy ways around that. Autobots refuse to take part in humanities wars. Their here to stop the Decepticons and protect humanity from them, not to hunt down Human terrorists.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Easy ways around that. Autobots refuse to take part in humanities wars. Their here to stop the Decepticons and protect humanity from them, not to hunt down Human terrorists.
    A sound answer, but I also have a hard time seeing Cobra being willing to simply stay out of the Autobot's way. I doubt they could see that kind of wildly advanced technology within reach without wanting to seize for themselves.

Of course, it would make for some fun watching Cobra and the Decepticons try to manage an inherently treacherous alliance with one another.