Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    In fairness, that was Sony, not Marvel/Disney.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea that wasn't Disney but Big Hero 6 was and that was a good movie. I wouldn't mind A Big Disney animated movie based on Power Pack/Young Avengers/Ms Marvel and the Nuhumans etc.... but I'm Biased for 2yesrs Beymax become my sons favroite Character and I honestly didnt even know it was related to Marvel till it came out.
    Okay what about Planet Hulk then? I think that was better than any DC offering except for Flashpoint. I'm pretty sure Disney had a hand in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I

Okay what about Planet Hulk then? I think that was better than any DC offering except for Flashpoint. I'm pretty sure Disney had a hand in that one.
    Planet Hulk one my favorite straight to video Animated Comics movies but it came out right after Disney bought Marvel and woulda have been in production from before. That's why it's a Liongate movie, they distributed alot of Marvels animated movies before Disney came along.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Starting with Flashpoint the DC animated stuff has plundered into mediocrity and lower. Only exceptions I can think of are Gotham by Gaslight and the 66 series tie-in films.
    Thought Justice League vs The Fata Five was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    It is needed.
    I was speaking more from Marvel's financial standpoint; they don't need more animation projects to end in the black. For that matter, none of us consumers need anything that's entertainment. Would I like more cartoon stuff? Sure, but the world will go on if that never happens.

we expect our comic franchise to be good in every medium, Comics, games, TV, movies.
    "Reality is often disappointing."

This is the way things have always been, I already gave an example for the 2000s. We had X2/Spiderman 2. X-Men Evolution, X-Men Legends/Spiderman 2 (game) and the comics which was back then all about 616/1610 ultimate universe. all were strong marvel entertainment to be enjoyed by fans.
    That's incredibly subjective. Not everyone likes all mediums, or the same things. Heck, most of my favorite comics were made in the past the '00s and I think we're in a golden age of superhero movies in terms of consistency and all that. Besides, these things wax and wane, and then wax and wane again all the time. It may not be good now, but eventually, things will shift in a direction you like again.

Why else did you think Sony was our darling in 2018. they gave of the Spiderman 4 game on PS4 which was a great success and Into the Spiderverse all in that same year. Marvel fans should not really be running to Sony for this love when marvel can do that.
    2018, the year Marvel Studios released Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, and Ant-Man and the Wasp. Yeah, Sony was not the darling that year (and I'm saying that thinking that Into the Spider-Verse was the best of the four Marvel-based movies that year).

Also not to go too of topic, Fiege is pressured right now . he has said it that he see DC as marvel's competitor, this was the guy who reworked captain America 3 to counter attack batman v superman. yeah, I think he is pressured right now, what he can do to ease some of that is to give us great animations that can compete with DC's animated movies.
    Be great if he did (and I think that if you want it, best keep on eye on Disney+), but the guy has got a system going, so I don't think he's in any danger of losing to DC anytime soon.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

So we're just gonna totally hand wave the multiple award winning Into the Spiderverse? Okay forgot what thread I'm in- never mind...
    As others have said, that was Sony. Also, this conversation seems to be more about direct to video movies like what DC is doing, not the rare theatrical film.

I

As Midvillain said Disney had nothing to do with Planet Hulk, other than I guess not shelving it for petty reasons after they bought Marvel. But Disney is the reason why no other such film came out after Planet Hulk. Since Disney axed that line of animated movies that'd been done by Liongate, and hasn't released anything similar since, I think it's safe to say they don't see the point or value to such a line of animated movies for older fans.

Personally I like Planet Hulk, but I wouldn't put it above Under the Red Hood, The Dark Knight Returns, or Crisis on Two Earths from DC. But that's just my own preferences.

Incredible Member

For movies, Feige won't be pressured until Marvel is no longer making billion dollar films. Right off the top of my head I see Black Panther 2 doing a billion. While, I see the other films that it has lined up making at minimum 500 million each.I still think the pressure will come from decreased merchandise and licensing sales. Once HBO Max goes live in May, cartoons like Looney Tunes, animaniacs, adventure time, as well as more DC characters will provide more competition. Truthfully, I don't see any of the upcoming MCU films having characters that can replace Captain America or Iron Man among kids but I may be wrong. Hopefully, I am right because quality in the different mediums should increase from more competition.

I think the biggest thing people need to remember is Disney doesn't care about making content that teenagers or adults want, its strictly about the 13 and under crowd. If adults like their content, great but if not it's no big deal because it doesn't mean that they still won't take their kids to see it.

I don't agree with that. The Batman stuff has been good. Hush, Batman Bad Blood, Batman Son of Batman and Assult and Arkham are masterpieces compared too any of the marvel cartoons we have now.
    Assault on Arkham is a good one indeed. I've forgotten the existence of that Suicide Squad movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    You obviously haven't seen the Batman/TMNT crossover film yet...
    I've seen it and forgot it happened while I was writing my post then. Good call on the unexpectedly good crossover.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

The truth is Dc will always be better in the animation department because unlike their movies they seem to get what fans want. Dc is just kicking Marvel's butt on the tv market. That may change when Disney comes out with their plus shows. But disney has always been geared more towards kids and I dont see that really changing in the near futyre.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    The truth is Dc will always be better in the animation department because unlike their movies they seem to get what fans want. Dc is just kicking Marvel's butt on the tv market. That may change when Disney comes out with their plus shows. But disney has always been geared more towards kids and I dont see that really changing in the near futyre.
    Depends how far they go on Hulu. If these 4 adult cartoons are all we are gonna get then sure. But also we havent seen the Disney+ produced animation yet. What If?, some anime style Future Avengers show. Disney with they're animated films are masters of making films that kids and adults love. So with Marvel tv gone we gotta see what Marvel Studios does with this stuff. Is it gonna be more like the MCU and Disnet films or more like Avengers Assemble and Utlimate Spiderman.

Then the TV market in genral yea the live action stuff is basicaly MCU movies spread out over 6-8 hours. That stuff is gonna be huge. Have to wait and see how Green Lantern in HBO max goes. Cause that's gonna be the competition. CW shows are fun for what they are but they are basicaly Soap operas. Titans is awful, Doom Patrol is good but I hope HBO max saves it and gives the same cast and writing team some real money to work with. Comics based content is exciting looking forward. Good time to be a comic fan.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    In fairness, that was Sony, not Marvel/Disney.
    Speaking of that...does Sony still hold the rights to animated movies with Spider-Man? Interestingly the Spectacular animated series started off as DTV movies so I would say that Sony knew what it was doing when it came to animation. (I'm just saying if they wanted to do a Hobgoblin mystery DTV, I'm here waiting for it)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Speaking of that...does Sony still hold the rights to animated movies with Spider-Man? Interestingly the Spectacular animated series started off as DTV movies so I would say that Sony knew what it was doing when it came to animation. (I'm just saying if they wanted to do a Hobgoblin mystery DTV, I'm here waiting for it)
    Sony can make animated stuff if it's an hour or longer. Disney can do.shorter TV shows apparently. But who knows what the current partnership is now.

Considering that they just cancelled a couple of the adult shows that were in development like Howard the Duck, I'm going to say that the odds of more mature animation is not good.

MODOK is still happening, I guess because it was already too far along.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Loeb was running Marvel Animation for a period of time, and that era saw a vast decrease in quality across the entire animation line.
    I'm sure that's partly Loeb, but AEMH's replacement also clove much closer to the film looks and situations. AEMHs used the Phase 1 films as a start point but rapidly became an echo of the classic comics. I can see one of The Mouses functionaries saying, "That's not what we're putting on the big screen or in Walmart."

The quality thing? Again, I'm sure Loeb had a hand, but I'm equally sure somebody asked about the ROI.