Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    We must be because I was planning on making the Cuckoo joke too!

WOOT!

Nice to see the books getting that level of review!
    It should be noted and understood that the readership who congregate in CBR are not indicative of the sum total of the readership worldwide. The views and opinions presented here are more than likely in the minority.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    We already are on volume 6. Current X-Men is Uncanny (since it uses it's legacy numbering) minus the adjective. So, it goes from Rosenberg's Uncanny #22 (LGY #644) to Hickman's X-Men #1 (LGY 645).
    Thank you.

Is X-Men and New Mutants story line pretty decent? That's where I'm thinking of picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by TedderX View Post
    Thank you.

Is X-Men and New Mutants story line pretty decent? That's where I'm thinking of picking up.
    That is a tricky question

X-men does not have a storyline It is series of individual stories right now, New Mutants story right now is split up good story by Hickman and decent story by Brisson. If you like New Mutants in the past you will probably like the Hickman part of the story.Honestly I would say wait until both X-men and New Mutants are trade to get them if you haven't gotten them yet. If you are determined to pick up something saying I would say pick up the New Mutants. As good as X-men is it is not everyone I would suggest reading a bunch of reviews and try to get a feel for you will like X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    I don’t think people ever complained about an x-men book selling over 100k, or x-books in general selling in in the 45-50k range. If these books in 3 months are in the 30s it will be another story, but for now they are holding well, especially considered how in the same page you can see how all of them topped the advanced reorders charts, meaning many retailers needed more than they ordered.

Also important to note that the books that are selling in the 45-50k range are not a slew of x-men books as usual, but titles like Excalibur, Marauders, Fallen Angels that a year ago would never even be released and if released would have never done these numbers. I think this was done on purpose, in order to exploit the hype to revive or introduce new brands instead than relying on having the usual 4 different X-Men teams an X-Force and a Wolverine book. Next wave looks similar with Giant x-men and Wolverine as bigger books and new books like Hellions.

As a general note it only makes sense to compare sales based on the current states of the market, not when the market performed totally different, it’s the same logic than saying that anything is a failure compared to Claremont 400k x-men.
    i'm not even comparing to 2000s. I'm using the last 3 x-men relaunches on 2010s.
    X-men had 4 relaunches on 2010s, thi sis really a sign of the trouble for marvel comics way of handling it

I don't think names are important, what matters are characters, art and of course hype. What I heard on this forum was how sales were awful, x-men weren't selling. ANd it wasn't only about the flagship book
    we are few issues on, of course numbers would be good

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Well... the bottom line is we don't know what the bottom line is. Sure, nothing is looking like a complete flop yet (except maybe Fallen Angels) but keep in mind that this December sales for books that had only been out for less than 2 months (X-Force and New Mutants did not even launch until November). Retailers have not had time to adjust orders yet, and similarly readers may or may not know where they stand, and yes, this goes both ways, we could be seeing people pick it up from word of mouth and retailers making big reorders just as likely as retailer slash January/February orders and readers finally get through their stack of issues and decide that all those other new shiny #1s are a better use of their dollars.
    Also the new books. Image said that there is more comics than what comics ships can support.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-16-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Also the new books. Image said that there is more comics than what comics ships can support.
    Yeah my LCS is overflowing with titles, many of them partially hidden and covered by others, much more than usual.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Spectacular Member

Retail sales are the most important metric for Marvel keep going a book.
    Seems like that isn't the case. Digital sales stopped growing, while direct market and book sales grew more
    Direct market sales didn’t grow last years, dollar wise they were 2% positive but with less copies sold at a higher price.

Note to the team behind X-Force :
    Wolverine on the cover rather than Forge (Don't get me wrong, I love your take on Forge. But even"cut in half" Logan would sell more)

I’m not an expert when it comes to sales, but these look like ok numbers. I wish X-force was closer to Hickman’s X-men numbers. It is so good, and often times it feels like it should be the flagship.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    Where are you getting your digital sales information? I'm very curious to know.
    There i smany reports on bleeding cool and other comics sites like the beat

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Direct market sales didn’t grow last years, dollar wise they were 2% positive but with less copies sold at a higher price.
    they have been growing since 2011

Not sure what is the deal with X-Force's numbers cause that book is awesome but I'm loving the numbers that the Hickman book is doing.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Full chart with FA added
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-12.html

#2. X-Men #3 -- 105,708
    #20. New Mutants #3 -- 49,991
    #22. Marauders #3 -- 49,309
    #25. New Mutants #4 -- 47,489
    #26. Excalibur #3 -- 47,253
    #27. X-Force #3 -- 47,178
    #32. Excalibur #4 -- 46,022
    #34. Marauders #4 -- 45,641
    #35. X-Force #4 -- 44,872
    #42. Fallen Angels #3 -- 38,883
    #44. Fallen Angels #4 -- 37,350

BANNED

Someone tell the comic shop owners that actually the books are doing just as poorly as they were doing pre-Hickman.

It's one comic shop owner and we aren't even 6 months into the relaunch.

Going back through a lot of the Bleeding Cool articles where they get statements from stores, it's a lot more than one store.

While this thread is specifically about sales, something for us all to consider is at least one other criteria (if not an actual KPI) for success: namely, that as long as sales don't drop horribly low, if editorial and the creative teams continue to be excited about the new possibilities and story ideas that DoX opens up, it is still a success over an old way that is perceived internally as more stagnant than the current direction.

Ultimate Member

It's one comic shop owner and we aren't even 6 months into the relaunch.
    Remember some of those owners have AGENDAS especially towards Marvel (& DC) pandering to them.

Especially those in certain places where certain types of books don't sell. So they assume that is the same everywhere.

Someone tell the comic shop owners that actually the books are doing just as poorly as they were doing pre-Hickman.
    Yes at some stores you have X-Men books doing the same, better or worst than they did before Hickman showed up.

Because it's X-MEN not Moon Girl, Ms Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Champions, Young Justice or most POC lead books-they won't complain.

All they care about is WHO is on the cover. Because they assume X-Men will sell.

The downside to that is when you have large orders of books-you have TONS of folks who are selling those books at prices 50-90% below cover price. Your store sells X-Men #5 at $5 with B&B. Midtown will have that book at 60% off in less than 6 months. Don't get me started with Half Price books where a new book can end up there by Friday.

YOu can over order all you like but you better know your competition.