Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I think this all goes back to the thread about what kind of comic reader are you. Some only follow certain characters, some only buy issues with art they like, some follow writers, some follow good stories. But what's a good story, right? Some only collect paper issues, some may feel the line is too wide and they don't have the storage for so many (me). Budget conscious as well, etc.

In conclusion, who the heck knows?!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I think this all goes back to the thread about what kind of comic reader are you. Some only follow certain characters, some only buy issues with art they like, some follow writers, some follow good stories. But what's a good story, right? Some only collect paper issues, some may feel the line is too wide and they don't have the storage for so many (me). Budget conscious as well, etc.

For the most part yeah. But a good story can boost sales and help keep them steady. Venom and Immortal Hulk are the best current examples. Venom is particular wouldn't have stuck around this long if it wasn't written well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    "Most of the others" in this case meaning "books that have X-Men in the title" lol. X-Force has always been the most succesful satellite book.
    People were buying the Brisson, Spurrier, Pak (forget what it was called but same kind of thing), Humphries versions?

I didn't remember people caring about them or the books being huge, but numbers could prove me a liar. How did the Hopeless version sell?

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    For the most part yeah. But a good story can boost sales and help keep them steady. Venom and Immortal Hulk are the best current examples. Venom is particular wouldn't have stuck around this long if it wasn't written well.
    I bet if there were 5 other Venom titles, only one would be selling as much as Cates' book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

It's writers and stories for me.

I hated Kitty with a passion yet here I am buying every issue of Marauders...

I'd open my wallet for a Glob book as long as the story could carry him.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Unpopular opinion: Not surprised X-Force is selling lower than the other books.
    I am surprised because it’s the safest and least adventurous book style-wise, so I figured it’d do well with people who wanted something they were more familiar with. Mutant magic, Mutants in space, Mutants at sea and Kwannon as lead are all a little out there and would’ve failed fast without the DOX halo.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I am surprised because it’s the safest and least adventurous book style-wise, so I figured it’d do well with people who wanted something they were more familiar with. Mutant magic, Mutants in space, Mutants at sea and Kwannon as lead are all a little out there and would’ve failed fast without the DOX halo.
    HoX/PoX is "New and Bold" to many which was worth buying after years of stagnation. It feels like that same reasoning carried over to the DoX books.

And the larger audience finally decided they were done with the late 2000's style of X-Books which is what, I see X-Force as.

Unpopular Opinion #2: It feels like K&Y's X-Force which I wasn't too fond of.

This is all good news to me because now it means that the greater X-Fandom MAY be ready for writers to experiment and try new things which I think is good.for the line in the long run, but I'd be lying if I said thay Hickman's name attached to the new Status Quo of the X-Line didn't help a lot. Thats what he's here for though, I guess.
    Last edited by CoCoBandz; 01-15-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Wait..Mutants have always been in space, though? That wouldn't have tanked? Hell, Gambit and Rogue spent half their run there!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Wait..Mutants have always been in space, though? That wouldn't have tanked? Hell, Gambit and Rogue spent half their run there!
    When was the last time Mutants were dedicated to space adventures in a MAIN X-book though?
    New Mutants is a huge name and for it to take this direction right out the gate is big.

Think about the past ten or so years...

It's been for the most part slog unfortunately. The K&Y/Remember style of X-Books became really popular. AvX just took it to a new level.

Speaking of Rouge and Gambits books what were the numbers on those?(If you know, if you don't forget it)
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    HoX/PoX is "New and Bold" to many which was worth buying after years of stagnation. It feels like that same reasoning carried over to the DoX books.

And the larger audience finally decided they were done with the late 2000's style of X-Books which is why I see X-Force as.

Unpopular Opinion #2: It feels like K&Y's X-Force which I wasn't too fond of.

This is all good news to me because now it means that the greater X-Fandom MAY be ready for writers to experiment and try new things which I think is good.for the line I the long run, but I'd be lying if I said the Hickman's name attached to the new Status Quo od the X-Line didn't help a lot. The what he's here for though, I guess.
    As good as Percy is, he, indeed, isn't offering anything that new or with that much potential as far as the eye can see. As bad as Excalibur is, I can at least commend Howard for actually trying to deal with different than usual concepts. Same for Duggan in Marauders. Hickman is the star and even weird stuff like Hordeculture feels like a step into more weird/interesting plots in the future. This leaves the two edgy, DARKNESS/NO PARENTS books with the task of being consistently good so they can carry themselves through word of mouth, like Immortal Hulk and Venom did. Fallen Angels already failed. Let's see how far X-Force goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    People were buying the Brisson, Spurrier, Pak (forget what it was called but same kind of thing), Humphries versions?

I didn't remember people caring about them or the books being huge, but numbers could prove me a liar. How did the Hopeless version sell?
    I was a fan of Humphries because I love Betsy. She did a lot of s**t-talking which I love and the character work between her and Storm was tremendous.

Quick rant: this was the series where Logan and Betsy got into it and he exiled her from the mansion. Shortly after that he died so I would have paid ANYTHING to at least see her reaction to him dying, with them having left on such bad terms. AND a reaction to his return but whatevs. I'm not bitter.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    It is an apt comparison, but when forgetting to look at the recent past and actually compare, the numbers seem shocking.

In other words, X-Men comics sales suck lollipops, but not really any worse than normal and still better than most other comics can do. I think some of us just expected hype to carry on longer and stronger, but people pretty much immediately jumped ship once HoxPox was done.

The people want constant tentpole stories or nothing, and while I personally will contine to be reading because I have the disposable income, the market's reaction as a whole makes sense.

Seems like creators will have to figure out how to come in with a strong, buzz-worthy issue one and never let up on the gas if they want to see numbers stay above 50K for any significant time.

Funny thing is I think X-Force is pretty much doing that and here we are.
    X-force isn't holding up things. Maybe if it was called x-men instead of x-force it would sell better

Mighty Member

I'm surprised to see New Mutants #3 and #4 written by Brisson selling so well as it was boring for me. Another surprise is X-Force which ranks at the bottom when it was clearly the best of the bunch. Maybe the fans here all have different taste than the public.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Mutants are in space every other Wednesday. That's where poker night is.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    I'm surprised to see New Mutants #3 and #4 written by Brisson selling so well as it was boring for me. Another surprise is X-Force which ranks at the bottom when it was clearly the best of the bunch. Maybe the fans here all have different taste than the public.
    Well, it was probably preordered by people who got caught unaware of the random plot switch.