Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    No, they still say a lot. It's the number Marvel and DC use to determine if a book continues. After a book gets too a store, they don't care. At that point, they already have their money. If stores order less of a book going forward, then that's a sign that it isn't selling, and the company starts making changes.

Yes, its terrible. Yes its inefficient. But that's the system they use. Blame Diamond Publishing.
    Retail sales are the most important metric for Marvel keep going a book.

A book have to do very well into book sales or have a Scholar contract to live without good retail sales

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    If the profit margin for digital releases is higher than for print comics, moving entirely to digital might be preferable if the overall market keeps shrinking.
    Seems like that isn't the case. Digital sales stopped growing, while direct market and book sales grew more

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    This is such lies, I can't even.

Let's back up a bit...

This era is doing just as well as GOLD and BLUE? Are you serious? The avg number for GOLD and BLUE were nowhere near XMEN's. Maybe they're near the numbers Fallen Angels is making. Starting off with such a Bold lie as this was pretty ballsy. You must think everyone here is stupid.

Now let's look at Bendis. There's this thing called Comichron where this thing called data is archived.

Bendis Uncanny #1:182K
    #2: 97K
    #3: 88K

So right there, you got caught in another lie. But let's further inspect. Back in 2013, Uncanny was being beat by tons of other books.

The Batman books were all verging out close to 150K. Currently, the Batman books average less than 100K. Hell, even AVENGERS were selling over 100K. Now? Basically 2/3rd of that on a good day. Guardians of the Glaxy was also making over 100K. Now? It's around half of that. Same thins for Spidey. Back then? over 100K. Now? Around 60-70K. And Spidey is the most consistent franchise MARVEL has as well.

Now let's look at ANAD, starting in 2015.

Back then, the #10 best selling book sold 271K. Let's compare that to 2019. Oh. yeah, the #2 best selling book of 2019 (Spawn 300) made 275K. In 2015, the number 2 book of the year made (Secret Wars) made 550K. The number 2 book of 2015 sold almost twice as much as the number 2 book of 2019. Perspective!

Let me continue though.

Extraordinary #1: 135K.
    #2: 66K.
    #3 56K.

So, really. Stop lying about stuff to prove a faulty point.

Then you reveal nothing is as good as Hulk? Oh, so you think your personal opinion is more important than facts? You really like to spread negativity because posters here like diff things than you?

My advice, stick to facts and not emotions when it comes to these things.
    I'm not lying. I already said that Hickman x-men is the outlier. Never saw a book come with so much hype like it
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-16-2020 at 06:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Excalibur #3 and 4 had Venom Island variants. X-Force, Marauders and New Mutants didn't.
    Marauders #3 and #4 did have incentive variants (including an 'appealing' Emma Frost variant for #4), but I have already mentioned this twice and people keep going on about the content of the book, whatever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Seems like that isn't the case. Digital sales stopped growing, while direct market and book sales grew more
    Where are you getting your digital sales information? I'm very curious to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    And it doesn't account for digital sales, from people like me who buys my floppies in digital and then trades in hardcopy.

I think there are a number of us who bought every issue of HoX/PoX on Comixology and then shelled out money for the awesomely produced hardcover collection too.
    You are my comic reading twin.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    You are my comic reading twin.
    We must be triplets then.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

I have HoX PoX on comiXology. Thinking about getting the hardback.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    We must be triplets then.
    Two more and we have our own Coco's.

Just for fun, I checked my digital comic source and all 4-5 issues of X-Men, Excalibur, Marauders, and X-Force received 4 out of 5 stars, whatever that means. They're based on anywhere between 300-500 votes for each book. Fallen Angels was the only one that had three issues (2, 3, and 4) receive 3 stars.

This message brought to you by the letter X.

Just for fun, I checked my digital comic source and all 4-5 issues of X-Men, Excalibur, Marauders, and X-Force received 4 out of 5 stars, whatever that means. They're based on anywhere between 300-500 votes for each book. Fallen Angels was the only one that had three issues (2, 3, and 4) receive 3 stars.

Ooof

Fallen Angels
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Bottom line: the books are doing OK, with the main X book doing amazing. They're at the point where the post-HoXPoX and shiny new-ness is wearing off, so the numbers probably won't grow. If things stay stable, especially when the new series launch, the current line-up should be fine for a long while. If it keeps dropping we might start seeing some cancellations, but that's not likely to happen until we get to 9-10 issues of most of the series.

We must be because I was planning on making the Cuckoo joke too!

WOOT!

Nice to see the books getting that level of review!

Bottom line: the books are doing OK, with the main X book doing amazing. They're at the point where the post-HoXPoX and shiny new-ness is wearing off, so the numbers probably won't grow. If things stay stable, especially when the new series launch, the current line-up should be fine for a long while. If it keeps dropping we might start seeing some cancellations, but that's not likely to happen until we get to 9-10 issues of most of the series.
    Fallen Angels will be gone first. Not even a mystery.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    people complained the hell out of sales on the past, now the numbers are even worse or the same and it is completely fine because books sell like this.
    I don’t think people ever complained about an x-men book selling over 100k, or x-books in general selling in in the 45-50k range. If these books in 3 months are in the 30s it will be another story, but for now they are holding well, especially considered how in the same page you can see how all of them topped the advanced reorders charts, meaning many retailers needed more than they ordered.

Also important to note that the books that are selling in the 45-50k range are not a slew of x-men books as usual, but titles like Excalibur, Marauders, Fallen Angels that a year ago would never even be released and if released would have never done these numbers. I think this was done on purpose, in order to exploit the hype to revive or introduce new brands instead than relying on having the usual 4 different X-Men teams an X-Force and a Wolverine book. Next wave looks similar with Giant x-men and Wolverine as bigger books and new books like Hellions.

As a general note it only makes sense to compare sales based on the current states of the market, not when the market performed totally different, it’s the same logic than saying that anything is a failure compared to Claremont 400k x-men.

Extraordinary Member

Well... the bottom line is we don't know what the bottom line is. Sure, nothing is looking like a complete flop yet (except maybe Fallen Angels) but keep in mind that this December sales for books that had only been out for less than 2 months (X-Force and New Mutants did not even launch until November). Retailers have not had time to adjust orders yet, and similarly readers may or may not know where they stand, and yes, this goes both ways, we could be seeing people pick it up from word of mouth and retailers making big reorders just as likely as retailer slash January/February orders and readers finally get through their stack of issues and decide that all those other new shiny #1s are a better use of their dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    We must be because I was planning on making the Cuckoo joke too!

WOOT!
    "Ohana means family".

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post

Also important to note that the books that are selling in the 45-50k range are not a slew of x-men books as usual, but titles like Excalibur, Marauders, Fallen Angels that a year ago would never even be released and if released would have never done these numbers. I think this was done on purpose, in order to exploit the hype to revive or introduce new brands instead than relying on having the usual 4 different X-Men teams an X-Force and a Wolverine book. Next wave looks similar with Giant x-men and Wolverine as bigger books and new books like Hellions.
    Well said. Having the books so closely creatively linked was a great idea to launch them and help them grow legs of their own in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post

Edit: nobody cares about comics anymore. People only get hyped about the dumb movies.
    Nobody cares about *buying* comics anymore. Even people who supposedly don’t care about comics admit to reading them for free online.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?