Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

These numbers are way better than Age of X-Man, right before it. So that's a plus.

Hard to compare today's marketplace for a #3 to anything farther back than that.

Very curious to how many reprints (farther down full list) should be added to the #2s for these books.

If X-Force had one of the X-Men titles with the adjective I think it would be selling better. Just IMO.

People already mentioned the flaw in the approach to numbers but I am going to mention the other couple of things.

1. The market is the market, Going OMG these books aren't selling well now or they are doing as before is kinda bs. These are top 20 to 40 books these are the numbers that top 30 books make in today market. When they drop into 50s and 70s then you have a point but this current market. The only thing ahead of these books is Batman family (Joker,Harleen Quinn) and Spiderman family(Venom),Monthly new number 1s.

2. What is realistic expectation for X-men franchise to sell, What is realistic expectation for these books. So realistic expectation for the line is that they are two books in the top 10 to 20 range. So only real criticism you can throw out right now is that there is not a book that is doing what a Uncanny X-men would be doing. If you look traditional at sales you will see that X-men supports two flag books being in that area. So that part of Hickman relaunch is kinda failure at least one of these books Marauders, X-force, Excalibur should be doing be doing way better.

As for everything else they are trending ahead, So lets say Marauders is the floundering book. Then other 4 books are doing better than support X-men books normal do based on today market the X books normally are around mid level numbers to slight above cancellation numbers. You guys are X-men fans you know New Mutants, Excalibur, X-factor, X-men teen book all bite the bullet with some level of frequency. The most fact most of them are sitting above cancelation level is a great sign. The general hope is these books eventually sit in the 50 to 100 with about 30,000 to 20,000 unit sold on comichron. The upper 30,000 where Wonder Woman,Iron Man and Captain America play around and lower 20,000 is where Aquaman,Green Arrow, Black Panther play around at.

I have zero worries about most of these books because the JDW knows the game. I am going to let you in the secret none of these books are "ongoings" what does that mean they will relaunch these titles as necessary (see fallen angels). The comic market is stupid it has been proven that for most books selling 1 to 12 then 1-12 again well outsell 1 to 24. If you leave most books go 24 the numbers will keep degrading while if leave the same exact creative team and characters and just change the numbers after then comic speculator number drop off issue 3-4 will have higher numbers 13-14. It is silly but true you can leave books as ongoing put a new great creative team and the numbers will never recover today. Books today are going to relaunch even if there numbers are solid at times.

There is not enough context at times with these numbers that can't be help we don't get the full numbers and we don't general chart trends. Nothing other than Batman family, Spiderman family,Wolverine and Deadpool, Superman , Justice League,Avengers, Wonder Woman, Flash, Star Wars, The top X-book, Walking Dead,Saga and barely Iron Man,Hulk(pre immortal) and Thor are stable.These are books that regularly sit in the top 50 monthly(most above top 30). Everything else you put an just average creative team they will drop to oblivion over time and you will have to relaunch. Under that context the current X-men line numbers is fine we are just waiting to see if they stabilize above cancelation level. These are last months numbers with books above 12 issues. This gives you a context of the market (Yes I cut out couple some duplicates and I missed a couple Daredevil,Catwoman,etc)

7 Amazing Spider-Man 33 Marvel 77,581
    9 Batman 82 DC 71,310
    11 Venom 20 Marvel 67,702
    13 Captain Marvel 12 Marvel 62,227
    15 Batman 83 DC 60,307
    20 Spawn 302 Image 51,968
    24 Immortal Hulk 27 Marvel 50,452
    28 Superman 17 DC 46,132
    31 Detective Comics 1015 DC 43,928
    32 Star Wars 75 Marvel 42,696
    35 Avengers 26 Marvel 42,077
    38 Flash 82 DC 39,710
    45 Fantastic Four 16 Marvel 36,757
    47 Detective Comics 1016 DC 36,324
    48 Action Comics 1017 DC 35,996
    63 Harley Quinn 67 DC 30,377
    75 Teen Titans 36 DC 26,181
    84 Tony Stark Iron Man 18 Marvel 24,408
    93 Deathstroke 49 DC 21,577
    98 Hawkman 18 DC 21,084
    104 Nightwing 66 DC 20,409
    108 Star Wars Doctor Aphra 38 Marvel 19,516
    109 Aquaman 54 DC 19,449
    121 Terrifics 22 DC 17,236
    126 Batgirl 41 DC 16,969
    134 Oblivion Song 21 Image 15,419
    141 Black Panther 18 Marvel 14,727
    177 East of West 44 Image 10,777
    207 Runaways 27 Marvel 8,864

The point being very few books make to 50. Cancellation level for Marvel and DC begin after Aquaman. That is how far X-men books have to drop before you worry about them being cancel. The X-line is performing well except for they should be a second book that is performing better and that is literally a brand name issue I am 100% sure if X-force or Marauders was called Uncanny and Astonishing X-men they would be doing slight better numberwise.

It is crazy people are criticizing the books for not having numbers only Spiderman and Batman put up today. Excalibur,New Mutants and Fallen Angels aren't putting up above 50k that only Batman and Spiderman oh nos the the X-line is doing bad now because I am pulling up past numbers that look similar today numbers. But the market is different today so a direct comparison doesn't make as much sense as you think.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-16-2020 at 12:49 AM.

I'm just now getting back into comic books after a several years hiatus.

Can someone bring me up to speed on Uncanny (printing wise)? It seems like volume five stopped production for several months? Are we getting ready for volume 6?

Quote Originally Posted by TedderX View Post

Can someone bring me up to speed on Uncanny (printing wise)? It seems like volume five stopped production for several months? Are we getting ready for volume 6?
    For now there is no Uncanny just adjectiveless.
    Last edited by CoCoBandz; 01-16-2020 at 12:36 AM.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    For now there is no Uncanny.
    Well... Dang... Anything considered cannon right now?

Well... Dang... Anything considered cannon right now?
    Everything is canon right now.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

These numbers look all around pretty low. I wouldn't be surprised to see comics go entirely digital this decade except maybe for trade paperbacks.

My actual thoughts on the books

1 X-Men 1 255,724
    395 X-Men 1 1,619
    2 X-Men 2 117,538
    2 X-Men 3 105,708

No surprise this is the highest selling book. And it look like is going to be holding its numbers pretty well. Remember this one of the books that is trashed a bit on the forums we can guess the non forum users and casual fans are little higher on this book than the people here.

1 New Mutants 1 138,484
    14 New Mutants 2 60,518
    23 New Mutants 3 49,991
    28 New Mutants 4 47,489

Numberswise I think this second best selling X-book which is sort of a message to X-office maybe the focus on Cyclops/Wolverine and the old crew to carry the line shouldn't happen as much they are other good characters. Some of the credit for the high numbers have to go it being a Hickman written book but I am fine with that message if you put good creators on the so call lesser X-men properties they could possible do good. I hate that Glob/Armor storyline is going to way down this book saleswise.

2 Excalibur 1 83,023
    283 Excalibur 1 4,962
    16 Excalibur 2 55,828
    29 Excalibur 3 47,253
    33 Excalibur 4 46,022

10 Marauders 1 86,830
    22 Marauders 2 51,241
    25 Marauders 3 49,309
    34 Marauders 4 45,641

4 X-Force 1 105,138
    18 X-Force 2 53,667
    30 X-Force 3 47,178
    35 X-Force 4 44,872

It is a little bit of surprise that currently Excalibur is the best selling out of these three but numbers are pretty similar and I would love to see if digitally that is the same deal. X-force has good word of mouth so expect it to eventually go up in sales at some point in time. Overall the drop from issue to issue is that not crazy I think it about the norm but it is still early but dropping about 1,000 per issue isn't that bad. If they stabilize around monthly around 30,000 that would be amazing but my guess at around the 12 issue the majority will be at the 25,000 range with one of the four being a little higher. These are books where switch in creator and they could just drop into the abyss.

5 Fallen Angels 1 86,672
    27 Fallen Angels 2 46,859

Everybody predict this was going to be lowest selling one and it is the lowest selling. Not surprisingly it has been stealth canceled and its replacement Hellions I would bet on the same thing happening to it. It is cool that they are trying out of the box stuff but they keep putting roster that nobody wants to see really. Which is kinda hard when X-men fans tend to love wide variety of characters.

Like I said earlier the line is missing a second book that is going to put up high numbers but other than that the numbers look solid from what I have seen. Future guessing Wolverine solo could have negative effective on X-force if Wolverine fans was only reading it for him. I don't see Cable or Hellions really disrupting anything. X-factor I think is going to fit in with the middle group of books. Vita Alya book might be the one to look out for because are still some decent names in Angel, Nightcrawler, M, Banshee sitting around without a book.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-16-2020 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    These numbers look all around pretty low. I wouldn't be surprised to see comics go entirely digital this decade except maybe for trade paperbacks.
    Marvel and DC have no reason to do that yet some of the numbers is the result of them flooding the market with comics that shouldn't exist and weakening the creator pool. A tighter more focus group of books from Marvel and DC will do just fine very a long period of time.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-16-2020 at 03:30 AM.

BANNED

We already are on volume 6. Current X-Men is Uncanny (since it uses it's legacy numbering) minus the adjective. So, it goes from Rosenberg's Uncanny #22 (LGY #644) to Hickman's X-Men #1 (LGY 645).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    They are as great as anad, Bendis and Gold/blue era.

I'm not seeing anything bold on hoxpox, a bit more diversity but nothing wowing me like Immortal hulk
    This is such lies, I can't even.

Let's back up a bit...

This era is doing just as well as GOLD and BLUE? Are you serious? The avg number for GOLD and BLUE were nowhere near XMEN's. Maybe they're near the numbers Fallen Angels is making. Starting off with such a Bold lie as this was pretty ballsy. You must think everyone here is stupid.

Now let's look at Bendis. There's this thing called Comichron where this thing called data is archived.

Bendis Uncanny #1:182K
    #2: 97K
    #3: 88K

So right there, you got caught in another lie. But let's further inspect. Back in 2013, Uncanny was being beat by tons of other books.

The Batman books were all verging out close to 150K. Currently, the Batman books average less than 100K. Hell, even AVENGERS were selling over 100K. Now? Basically 2/3rd of that on a good day. Guardians of the Glaxy was also making over 100K. Now? It's around half of that. Same thins for Spidey. Back then? over 100K. Now? Around 60-70K. And Spidey is the most consistent franchise MARVEL has as well.

Now let's look at ANAD, starting in 2015.

Back then, the #10 best selling book sold 271K. Let's compare that to 2019. Oh. yeah, the #2 best selling book of 2019 (Spawn 300) made 275K. In 2015, the number 2 book of the year made (Secret Wars) made 550K. The number 2 book of 2015 sold almost twice as much as the number 2 book of 2019. Perspective!

Let me continue though.

Extraordinary #1: 135K.
    #2: 66K.
    #3 56K.

So, really. Stop lying about stuff to prove a faulty point.

Then you reveal nothing is as good as Hulk? Oh, so you think your personal opinion is more important than facts? You really like to spread negativity because posters here like diff things than you?

My advice, stick to facts and not emotions when it comes to these things.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 01-16-2020 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    No, they're not unless that's what you want to see.

There are five, possibly six depending on where Fallen Angels gets to, books right now. No top X-book #3 has sold 105K in a long while. No fifth-highest selling X-book at issue #4 has sold as high as X-Force in recent history.
    It's currently six. Hellions is a direct replacement for Fallen Angels, which ends at issue 6, and Wolverine, Cable, and X-Factor are all launching, so that makes nine. We already know X-Corp will be coming too, so that'd be ten.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Marvel and DC have no reason to do that yet some of the numbers is the result of them flooding the market with comics that shouldn't exist and weakening the creator pool. A tighter more focus group of books from Marvel and DC will do just fine very a long period of time.
    If the profit margin for digital releases is higher than for print comics, moving entirely to digital might be preferable if the overall market keeps shrinking.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    If the profit margin for digital releases is higher than for print comics, moving entirely to digital might be preferable if the overall market keeps shrinking.
    And XMEN is doing even better digitally (based on Comixology rankings) than physically. Even Fallen Angles is still in the weekly top 10 digitally when it's been out.