Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Black Lightning! Jefferson Pierce Appreciation Thread 2020

"Justice, like lightning, should ever appear to some men, hope; and to others, fear!"
    - Jefferson Pierce

~~~~~

Created by: Tony Isabella (writer) Trevor Von Eeden (artist)

First Appearance: Black Lightning #1 (April 1977).

Essential Reading
    Black Lightning (1977) #1
    Outsiders (2009) #28
    --
    --
    what do you consider "Black Lightning" essential reading material?

Powers: Black Lightning can manipulate bio-electric currents that exist within all aspects of the body, from the nervous system, heart and muscles, whether his own or his targets. He can generate and channel his own bio-electrical energy, and absorb electrical energies from external sources. His electrical discharge can vary in color (Blue, Yellow, Red, Purple, etc.). The electrical currents are capable of killing someone or stunning them, depending on his control. The upper limit of the electrical energy Black Lightning can generate and manipulate is unknown.

Black Lightning can increase his electrical output by ionizing the hydrogen atoms in the atmosphere, creating ultra-high level static discharges and having the potential to create electrical storms that release hundreds of lightning strikes per minute (the average lightning strike contains a billion volts of electricity). He can discharge streams of electricity in the form of arc-strands, ball lightning, and/or single arcs that resemble lightning bolts, to attack his opponents. Black Lightning is capable of discharging destructive electrical energy that flows through the air negating all resistance that may be received from air or space. The destructive electrical energy is capable of destroying a wide area of effect.

my man's damn-near an elemental

All aspects of Black Lightning's powers become dramatically more powerful the madder he gets, becoming overall stronger, faster, more durable, more electrically potent, and so on, the angrier he is. On occasion, Black Lightning can generate and control literal black lightning which ignores the limitations and weaknesses of normal lightning. Black Lightning can wield it like normal electricity, and also use its mystical power for a wide variety of attacks and effects.

By absorbing electrons, Black lightning can stimulate molecules and renew damaged cells, effectively healing himself or others using electricity. Black Lightning can also release and surround himself in electrical energy for defensive and offensive purposes, becoming almost untouchable and granting him various enhanced physical capabilities such as speed, strength and durability. he can also use Electromagnetism to manipulate matter similar to telekinesis. Black Lightning can also manipulate electrical fields and generate electromagnetic fields of his own to create highly concentrated electric force fields capable of withstanding tremendous physical attacks, and various other purposes.

"Should we Move Black Lightning to Freeland?" thread

Link to the 2019 thread
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-09-2020 at 05:01 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Don’t know much about Jeff but the aesthetic of black lightning was always cool to me. I loved the mentor role he served for Static in YJ and heard he was apparently suppose to get stuff done with him when The Timmverse stuff was going on

Spoilers for Crisis on Infinite Earths:

spoilers:
    Black Lightning and Freeland are now part of Earth Prime along with the other Arrowverse shows.

Jefferson is also now a member of the burgeoning Super Friends team.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Don’t know much about Jeff but the aesthetic of black lightning was always cool to me. I loved the mentor role he served for Static in YJ and heard he was apparently suppose to get stuff done with him when The Timmverse stuff was going on
    Soul Power from Static Shock was originally supposed to be Black Lightning but they couldn't use him so they had to create an original character.

Same situation in SuperFriends where they had to create Black Vulcan because they couldn't use BL. Apparently due to some copyright issue with Tony Isabella. Though that's now been cleared.

Then you had Soul Power's sidekick who used the same shtick that the original BL did in using gadgets to replicate electrical powers. Then JLU used Juice who was their riff on Black Vulcan.

BANNED

Damn that’s so many appearances he missed out on. I could be wrong but I heard something a long time ago where it was suggested they wanted to give Jeff an animated instead of Static

Incredible Member

GalleryComics_1920x1080_20180530__Black_Lightning_Hong_Kong_Fooey_cvr_b_5ae21ba6ec3797.89823448.jpg

You know, something I rarely see get talked about is BL martial Arts skills. Elemental powers plus martial artist is what made avatar pretty unique. I feel liked it would be pretty cool if Jefferson did an axe kick with a lighting strike coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    GalleryComics_1920x1080_20180530__Black_Lightning_Hong_Kong_Fooey_cvr_b_5ae21ba6ec3797.89823448.jpg

You know, something I rarely see get talked about is BL martial Arts skills. Elemental powers plus martial artist is what made avatar pretty unique. I feel liked it would be pretty cool if Jefferson did an axe kick with a lighting strike coming down.
    ^^^^ uh. so that was a real thing? lol.

Hope the show lasts at least several more years. Smallville lasted 10 years, but of course, it was Superman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ^^^^ uh. so that was a real thing? lol.

Hope the show lasts at least several more years. Smallville lasted 10 years, but of course, it was Superman.
    I feel like they might have to introduce a bit of new elements into the story for BL to continue on. It started off strong in the first season, but it has become really boring lately. Hopefully the merged world brings some interesting alien/mystic threats to Freeland. Not that BL has to go that route, but maybe a storyline of alien tech falling in the hand of the 100 gang could spice things up.

Or maybe some ninjas try to abduct kids for a tmnt foot style clan.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Chiming in to show some love for one of the DCU's genuine best role models. Jefferson is a class act through and through and definitely deserves to always headline a title at DC, be it his own or leading the Outsiders.

And for my money, his is the only show in the Arrowverse I can keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Chiming in to show some love for one of the DCU's genuine best role models. Jefferson is a class act through and through and definitely deserves to always headline a title at DC, be it his own or leading the Outsiders.

And for my money, his is the only show in the Arrowverse I can keep watching.
    I agree I also wouldn’t mind if he was back in the Justice League again or paired up with Green Arrow in an ongoing since they’re close friends, wouldn’t upstage each other, and seem to have trouble carrying their own solo books at times over the past 40 years even though they’re 2 of DC’s most popular street level characters.

wf256_005.jpg
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-19-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    I agree I also wouldn’t mind if he was back in the Justice League again or paired up with Green Arrow in an ongoing since they’re close friends, wouldn’t upstage each other, and seem to have trouble carrying their own solo books at times over the past 40 years even though they’re 2 of DC’s most popular street level characters.
    Now that you've said that out loud that actually kind of make sense as a pairing. If DC wants BL to remain street level then a pairing with Black Canary and Green Arrow could work. It oddly reminds me of Richard Dragon, Lady Shiva, and Bronze tiger.

Kiss my black ass! ....I mean lightning!

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Kiss my black ass! ....I mean lightning!

I swear he's said that on the show once...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I swear he's said that on the show once...
    maybe, doubt it was this spectacular tho. easily one of my top 5 Black Lightning moments of all time

currently following: