Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Batman gave him some technology that strengthens his meta gene.
    Per Batman and the Outsiders #13:

Bruce says, “Your suit should do more. Harness your power. Focus it. Enhance it. I believe in you Jefferson. Your mind. Your power.”

So Jeff already had the power. He just did something with the suit to further unlock it.
    Last edited by Iconic; 10-14-2020 at 07:39 AM.

Didn't Black Lightning: Year One already have him married and with Jennifer about to be born?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't Black Lightning: Year One already have him married and with Jennifer about to be born?
    Different continuity, it came out before the New 52. The earliest we see Jefferson in this continuity is his adventures with Blue Devil in LA, he appears to have not met Lynn yet (unless she's in Cold Hands or whatever, I don't remember much from that series).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Different continuity, it came out before the New 52. The earliest we see Jefferson in this continuity is his adventures with Blue Devil in LA, he appears to have not met Lynn yet (unless she's in Cold Hands or whatever, I don't remember much from that series).
    Lynn is reintroduced in Cold Dead Hands.

I know, but I'm looking at it from the perspective of an early years and young Black Lightning who was already a family man.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Lynn is reintroduced in Cold Dead Hands.
    figured as much, it came out around the time of the show and considering how butthurt Isabella was on her behalf over Jeff and Tatsu being a thing; it makes sense. how was she handled? she do anything interesting?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I know, but I'm looking at it from the perspective of an early years and young Black Lightning who was already a family man.
    oh, yeah that worked fine. the thing is, I'm not saying Jennifer and Anissa can't exist (I offered up a couple ways they can be reintroduced) but my stance has always been that u don't think that their introduction should come at the expense to Jefferson because they are not THAT essential; I believe bringing them back as they were Pre N52 would do that. If they were Teen Titan age like Damian and Jon (before) are, that would be fine but, short of Jefferson adopting them or Multiverse shenanigans, I don't think we need to rush to even that yet. get a couple solo Black Lightning stories, established his mythology as the flagship of the brand, so that when Anissa and Jennifer are introduced they are more effectively carrying a more tangible legacy and their characters would be richer for it.

also wild pitch that just hit me out of nowhere: what if Anissa had the Strengthforce? it'll never happen, but I think it could work; even if it's just for one story or for a moment.

currently following:

figured as much, it came out around the time of the show and considering how butthurt Isabella was on her behalf over Jeff and Tatsu being a thing; it makes sense. how was she handled? she do anything interesting?
    Nah. He meets her for the first time. She’s the assistant principal and has a British accent. At the end they went on a date.

Also, Anissa and Jennifer are Jon and Damian’s age in this. They show a desire to get out and help their cousin.

oh, yeah that worked fine. the thing is, I'm not saying Jennifer and Anissa can't exist (I offered up a couple ways they can be reintroduced) but my stance has always been that u don't think that their introduction should come at the expense to Jefferson because they are not THAT essential; I believe bringing them back as they were Pre N52 would do that. If they were Teen Titan age like Damian and Jon (before) are, that would be fine but, short of Jefferson adopting them or Multiverse shenanigans, I don't think we need to rush to even that yet. get a couple solo Black Lightning stories, established his mythology as the flagship of the brand, so that when Anissa and Jennifer are introduced they are more effectively carrying a more tangible legacy and their characters would be richer for it.

also wild pitch that just hit me out of nowhere: what if Anissa had the Strengthforce? it'll never happen, but I think it could work; even if it's just for one story or for a moment.
    I just don't see how including them needs to come at Jefferson's expense, and with all the continuity shenanigan's going on it wouldn't be that difficult to bring them back. I don't see them as a bar from establishing a strong personal mythos and leading man status in his own stories unless the writer cares more about the daughters than the man himself, but I wouldn't put someone like that on a Black Lightning title.

I guess you could connect the two?
    Nah. He meets her for the first time. She’s the assistant principal and has a British accent. At the end they went on a date.
    So someone just took the fact that her actress is British and just made her actually British ?
    Also, Anissa and Jennifer are Jon and Damian’s age in this. They show a desire to get out and help their cousin.
    May as well just make them his actual daughters if they're the same age as the other Super Kids.

The British thing was Isabella’s doing.

What’s wrong with them being cousins as they are now? Who loses in this situation?

The British thing was Isabella’s doing.
    I know, it's just funny to me considering Christine Adams is British .
    What’s wrong with them being cousins as they are now? Who loses in this situation?
    The people who want them to be his daughters? There's a huge difference between being cousins and being daughters unless they get treated as daughters in every sense but biological.

I just don't see how including them needs to come at Jefferson's expense, and with all the continuity shenanigan's going on it wouldn't be that difficult to bring them back. I don't see them as a bar from establishing a strong personal mythos and leading man status in his own stories unless the writer cares more about the daughters than the man himself, but I wouldn't put someone like that on a Black Lightning title.

I guess you could connect the two?
    I believe it comes at an expense because of the major shift his daughters at young adult age would entail. he's a single guy currently, at minimum decade and a half of story would have to be left out for Jeff as a character in order to get him to a place where he would have two fully grown daughters like they were pre N52. it's not difficult to hand wave a reason to skip ahead, but it's not worth the trade imo. there is no reason Jeff can't be a father and a hero, this is a true thing, but this conversation only exist because Jeff has had so little going for himself lately that the only thing people can think of to define him is who he's married to and him being a father. Batman and Superman pull it off because we have a solid grasp of the rich legacy they are imparting on their progeny, we can't say Black Lightning has that right now.

you can have one off mini to go back, if they skip ahead, or skip around with flashbacks in an ongoing, but that seems unnecessary convoluted and wouldn't flesh him out as well as just progressing him toward Old Man Lightning. I don't think the rush is necessary, the strength of his franchise will live and die by him so I don't see anything wrong with taking time to have him establish himself.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-14-2020 at 11:43 AM.

currently following:

Mighty Member

BLs leading unique factor that is very rare in superhero fare is being a father and a family man with superhero kids.

The vast greater majority of superheroes are single & dating territory.

Being a family man was the one factor that made BL stand out as a character beyond just his race.

Taking away that family aspect is like taking away the kingdom aspects of Aquaman and black panther IMO.

The family provided a platform to build a mythos for BL.

Now that he is solitary, BL just feels ordinary like 98% of superheroes.

I say this inspite of liking the BL/Tatsu pairing....I still want BL to have his daughters and wife back ....unless....DC plans on making Tatsu BLs wife and mother of his kids which is VERY MUCH DOUBT will happen.

And it would be problematic.....u know...erasing the only recurring black superhero family in mainstream comics.

The people who want them to be his daughters? There's a huge difference between being cousins and being daughters unless they get treated as daughters in every sense but biological.
    I feel they can develop that closeness as cousins over time. Jeff’s grandmother will eventually be gone and the girls will need a new caretaker. Until then Jeff can travel the universe on adventures before taking on a family. Win-win I think.

We could also see how Jeff and Lynn connect in the first place. Her character can be fleshed out as more than just “I married Black Lightning”. I find stuff like that to be important.

Respect that man’s legend by actually showing it to us with the same respect you gave Superman, Batman, Flash, etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    BLs leading unique factor that is very rare in superhero fare is being a father and a family man with superhero kids.

The vast greater majority of superheroes are single & dating territory.

Being a family man was the one factor that made BL stand out as a character beyond just his race.

Taking away that family aspect is like taking away the kingdom aspects of Aquaman and black panther IMO.

The family provided a platform to build a mythos for BL.

Now that he is solitary, BL just feels ordinary like 98% of superheroes.

I say this inspite of liking the BL/Tatsu pairing....I still want BL to have his daughters and wife back ....unless....DC plans on making Tatsu BLs wife and mother of his kids which is VERY MUCH DOUBT will happen.

And it would be problematic.....u know...erasing the only recurring black superhero family in mainstream comics.
    You perfectly summed up most of my concerns.