Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't that what Isabella did with them for that mini-series? I feel like it's completely missing the point, though.
    They were his nieces
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Basically the creator was upset when it was even hinted at Jefferson getting with someone besides his ex wife. Said it ruins his character or something to that effect.
    Ok that's ridiculous, he should still be able to be with another person. If Superman can be with WW then Jefferson should be able to see other people. It happens irl all the time, it's a normal thing adults deal with all the time
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Current BL is depicted as being in his mid twenties- early thirties.

What bothers me more than the absence of his daughters is that the current writer made him to dependant on Batman.

It left a bad taste in my mouth that Batman 'upgraded' his powerset when BL had all those abilities without needing Batman's upgrade in the past.

Its like the writer made him inexperienced to shill Batman.
    I haven't read much of the new comic, how did he upgrade his powers? I'm having trouble picturing how Bats could possibly do that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I've never understood why comics are so resistant to having some of their characters be old(relatively speaking), especially when it makes sense for some of them(Batman in particular). Age rarely stops anyone from being competent or kicking butt in a manga and comics should learn from that.

The idea that some posters have that BL being family man hold him back doesn't really make sense.
    It is weird you use manga as an example when it is extremely unlikely to have an old protagonist in manga. In fact, it is difficult to find a protagonist older than 30.

Sure, there are powerful old (relatively speaking) characters, but they are usually secondary characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why is having kids seen as making a character inherently worse? Jefferson wasn't depicted that way in the comics and Jennifer and Anissa have helped his popularity. You don't have to like the characters but pretending they've harmed is character is inaccurate and ludicrous.
    Facts........

Why is having kids seen as making a character inherently worse? Jefferson wasn't depicted that way in the comics and Jennifer and Anissa have helped his popularity. You don't have to like the characters but pretending they've harmed is character is inaccurate and ludicrous.
    The harm is that it steals away his youth for those who care to see it. It steals the development to the legend he becomes. Is it so difficult to see how some might want to watch the journey? You saw Peter Parker’s journey and now you’re ready for adult Peter. Same with Bruce. Same with Flash. Now it ok to age them a bit. Their stories have been done to death. Jeff’s hasn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I haven't read much of the new comic, how did he upgrade his powers? I'm having trouble picturing how Bats could possibly do that.
    Jeff: Hell of a machine you used on me, Batman.
    Bruce: It just augmented what you have innately. Having a tech corporation at my command has its benefits.

He upgraded the suit and got Jeff to push himself more than before.

Not as egregious as it’s being made out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    The harm is that it steals away his youth for those who care to see it. It steals the development to the legend he becomes. Is it so difficult to see how some might want to watch the journey? You saw Peter Parker’s journey and now you’re ready for adult Peter. Same with Bruce. Same with Flash. Now it ok to age them a bit. Their stories have been done to death. Jeff’s hasn’t.

Jeff: Hell of a machine you used on me, Batman.
    Bruce: It just augmented what you have innately. Having a tech corporation at my command has its benefits.

He upgraded the suit and got Jeff to push himself more than before.

Not as egregious as it’s being made out to be.
    We have the original Black Lightning series and Cold Dead Hands for those who want to see Black Lightning in his youth. If you want to see an even younger Black Lightning, Brave and the Bold has him as a teenager.

Jennifer and Anissa aren't stealing anything away from Jefferson and by this point, I think way more people care about an older Jefferson who is a father than those who want him young.

We have the original Black Lightning series and Cold Dead Hands for those who want to see Black Lightning in his youth. If you want to see an even younger Black Lightning, Brave and the Bold has him as a teenager.

Jennifer and Anissa aren't stealing anything away from Jefferson and by this point, I think way more people care about an older Jefferson who is a father than those who want him young.
    You honestly think folks want the handful of issues from the 70’s/80’s and the 6 issues from recent to be all that represents his youth? That’s it? Folks want modern stories. Even the most recent story by Isabella felt hollow and generic. Some fans want a modern take on Black Lightning such as what Bryan Hill started. Why should Jeff’s story be sped past?

The girls already exist. Currently they’re his cousins I believe. They can do they’re own thing while still being related to Jeff. Lynn can be introduced in a John Stewart book. I’d actually like to see that relationship develop as opposed to just existing out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    You honestly think folks want the handful of issues from the 70’s/80’s and the 6 issues from recent to be all that represents his youth? That’s it? Folks want modern stories. Even the most recent story by Isabella felt hollow and generic. Some fans want a modern take on Black Lightning such as what Bryan Hill started. Why should Jeff’s story be sped past?

The girls already exist. Currently they’re his cousins I believe. They can do they’re own thing while still being related to Jeff. Lynn can be introduced in a John Stewart book. I’d actually like to see that relationship develop as opposed to just existing out of nowhere.
    I think most people don't really care all that much about a Jefferson who isn't a father but even then they aren't lacking in stories for that. There is also the original run of Batman and the Outsiders for those who want him without the kids. If Cold Dead Hands felt hollow and generic, maybe that says something about a status quo without the girls.

You and others are acting as if Jefferson's story ends once he has children when we've seen that isn't the case both in the comics and in the show.

I think most people don't really care all that much about a Jefferson who isn't a father but even then they aren't lacking in stories for that. There is also the original run of Batman and the Outsiders for those who want him without the kids. If Cold Dead Hands felt hollow and generic, maybe that says something about a status quo without the girls.

You and others are acting as if Jefferson's story ends once he has children when we've seen that isn't the case both in the comics and in the show.
    Again offering another book where he shared the title. A solo of a younger BL is what is desired here.

Did you read Cold Dead Hands? It had nothing to do with a lack of fatherhood and to suggest that is simply being disingenuous. Notice how no one has complained about how Bryan Hill wrote BL.

And it’s not about his story ending with the girls. It’s about his story beginning. Remember: the girls currently exist. Nothing is stopping them from being used and developed.
    Last edited by Iconic; 10-14-2020 at 06:02 AM.

Did you read Cold Dead Hands? It had nothing to do with a lack of fatherhood and to suggest that is simply being disingenuous.
    It's equally disingenuous to claim a lack of stories about Black Lightning's youth harms the character when there is evidence to the contrary.

And it’s not about his story ending with the girls. It’s about his story beginning. Remember: the girls currently exist. Nothing is stopping them from being used and developed.
    As his nieces not his daughters which is a completely different dynamic from what was in pre-Flashpoint. The people who liked the show didn't need an entire series to see his origin and that helped him standout. His maturity is an asset not a weakness.

Extraordinary Member

Static shock is gonna return so him being a young bachelors will not help

BANNED

It should be pretty easy to see why some would think being 45~ years old and having two grown daughters who could potentially make the character a grandfather would not be some people's preference for the character. You can disagree about preference, but to act like people are ridiculous for feeling that way is kind of out of bounds to me.

I'm pretty neutral on all characters involved, by the way.

It's equally disingenuous to claim a lack of stories about Black Lightning's youth harms the character when there is evidence to the contrary.

As his nieces not his daughters which is a completely different dynamic from what was in pre-Flashpoint. The people who liked the show didn't need an entire series to see his origin and that helped him standout. His maturity is an asset not a weakness.
    They are his cousins. They live with Jeff’s grandmother currently. They already display powers as shown in cold Dead Hands #4. They exist and at the same time Jeff isn’t tethered to fatherhood which allows him relative youth and freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    It should be pretty easy to see why some would think being 45~ years old and having two grown daughters who could potentially make the character a grandfather would not be some people's preference for the character. You can disagree about preference, but to act like people are ridiculous for feeling that way is kind of out of bounds to me.

I'm pretty neutral on all characters involved, by the way.
    All of this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Batman gave him some technology that strengthens his meta gene.