Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I believe it comes at an expense because of the major shift his daughters at young adult age would entail. he's a single guy currently, at minimum decade and a half of story would have to be left out for Jeff as a character in order to get him to a place where he would have two fully grown daughters like they were pre N52. it's not difficult to hand wave a reason to skip ahead, but it's not worth the trade imo. there is no reason Jeff can't be a father and a hero, this is a true thing, but this conversation only exist because Jeff has had so little going for himself lately that the only thing people can think of to define him is who he's married to and him being a father. Batman and Superman pull it off because we have a solid grasp of the rich legacy they are imparting on their progeny, we can't say Black Lightning has that right now.

you can have one off mini to go back, if they skip ahead, or skip around with flashbacks in an ongoing, but that seems unnecessary convoluted and wouldn't flesh him out as well as just progressing him toward Old Man Lightning. I don't think the rush is necessary, the strength of his franchise will live and die by him so I don't see anything wrong with taking time to have him establish himself.
    Well, again, I'm not advocating for him to instantly become Old Man Lightning, he didn't even seem that old Post-Crisis back when his daughters were basically adults. There's definitely more to him then just his daughters, so if you feel like that needs to become more clear through solo stories, I understand.

I guess I just see as much value in the experienced family man Superhero as I do the young Black Lightning coming into his own. But flashbacks seem more practical to me than expecting publishing to legitimately build him up to having his daughters and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I feel they can develop that closeness as cousins over time. Jeff’s grandmother will eventually be gone and the girls will need a new caretaker. Until then Jeff can travel the universe on adventures before taking on a family. Win-win I think.
    But it's not really the same dynamic. It would be if he ends up being their father figure, but then why even bother not making them his daughters? A family doesn't have to be a bar from adventures across the universe, a win-win would be for him to have a family but still go on epic Superhero adventures.
    We could also see how Jeff and Lynn connect in the first place. Her character can be fleshed out as more than just “I married Black Lightning”. I find stuff like that to be important.
    I think the TV show has done a good job of that, and that's depicting her well after she married Jefferson.
    Respect that man’s legend by actually showing it to us with the same respect you gave Superman, Batman, Flash, etc.
    Would that Jefferson be as consistently published as those characters are...

Extraordinary Member

Well it’s a done deal , with static as DCs young electric based African American hero

Jefferson being an older veteran of sorts is kind of on lock

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Well it’s a done deal , with static as DCs young electric based African American hero

A 28 year old man compared to a 13-15 year old boy?

DC’s mainline compared to the separate imprint of Milestone?

Ultimate Member

Dc does not OWN Static.

So who is DC's OWNED electric based hero? In all reality it's Jakeem Thunder or Aqualad or Wallace or Darla-all of whom can produce that power.

BANNED

DC has always had rights issues with Jefferson as well. And there's not much to his mythology once you take away the family man thing--which was even present in the Year One story.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    DC has always had rights issues with Jefferson as well. And there's not much to his mythology once you take away the family man thing--which was even present in the Year One story.
    Thus the reason we’re clamoring for a solo!

No character has a mythology without stories focused on them. BL needs those stories now.

Extraordinary Member

If the solo static does gangbusters in the box office he won’t get that solo

DC is not going to bury Black Lightning because Static sells, if he doesn't get a solo it'll be because DC's continuously incompetent in promoting original heroes of color; not because of Static. if anything, we'll just see them rekindling the relationship between Static and Black Lightning.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I guess you’re right. Probably why Superboy can’t keep a book because of Superman. And why Batgirl & Batwoman can’t keep a book because of Batman. And why Supersons can’t keep a book because of Batman/Superman. Cold world.

I guess I’ll stop imagining that two black characters with similar powers on 2 different imprints can exist at the same time.

That Jeff/Tatsu pairing got me thinking how much does BL creator interfere with plans for the character? Could he possibly stopped more content from coming out? Is he the reason DC hasn't given him a random maxi series like Adam Strange or MM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

DC does not OWN Static. Milestone does and if they want they can leave DC.

DC under PREVIOUS leadership has shown pure INCOMPETENCE when it comes to POC.

Which is why we are in the mess we are in NOW.

Because they chose to pander to certain groups who get insecure when a POC got ANYTHING.

Who saw Miles Morales, Black Panther, Spawn, Static himself and a variety of black created projects from Bitter Root, Excellence to Black find success.

Yet at DC it's a struggle.

Why is it a struggle in comics but Black Lightning can have a 4 season run as a tv show?

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    That Jeff/Tatsu pairing got me thinking how much does BL creator interfere with plans for the character? Could he possibly stopped more content from coming out? Is he the reason DC hasn't given him a random maxi series like Adam Strange or MM.
    well the most direct way he's interfered with the character is the fact that he's kinda hogged solo duty for the character; I think to this day he's done every solo book for him, I could be wrong. I don't know if that has more to do with DC's incompetence or if he's the one blocking other creators from working on the character besides harassing DC over everything they do with Jeff.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Ultimate Member

I guess you’re right. Probably why Superboy can’t keep a book because of Superman. And why Batgirl & Batwoman can’t keep a book because of Batman. And why Supersons can’t keep a book because of Batman/Superman. Cold world.

I guess I’ll stop imagining that two black characters with similar powers on 2 different imprints can exist at the same time.
    Static and Black Lightning both held books at the same time TWICE.

BL was the ONLY black lead book released while Milestone was active the first time.
    New 52 saw Static and DC Universe present BL & Blue Devil active at the same time.

And in some reality we are going to see it again.

Other side of DC Universe with BL and Static's digital stuff for a time.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Static and Black Lightning both held books at the same time TWICE.

BL was the ONLY black lead book released while Milestone was active the first time.
    New 52 saw Static and DC Universe present BL & Blue Devil active at the same time.

And in some reality we are going to see it again.

Other side of DC Universe with BL and Static's digital stuff for a time.
    I think they were being sarcastic.

currently following:

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    He is not a DC employee. Because if he had power, that Outsider book would not have happened. Heck the tv show with it's low ratings would have been gone year one sine he does get a check.

That tv show and merchandise ENDED any interference he could have. They can't bury BL now. Who do they have to replace him? They have screwed up everyone else.