Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    An in-depth explanation is that he flies via electromagnetism and has x-ray vision due to being able to see electrical impulses in the human body.

What really bothers me about the new Batman and the Outsiders comic is that he 'needed' an 'upgrade' from Batman to do things he was fully capable of doing pre Rebirth or whatever the current era of DC comics is.
    BL was able to see through concrete walls like Superman in the tv show....concrete walls do not have "electrical impulses" like the human body in which case his x-ray vision would look very different from Supes whereby BLs x-ray will not be able to see inanimate objects that have no electrical current.

For instance, BLs electro-xray will enable him to see through obsttuctions/wall to the other side into the electrical impulses in humans, living things and electrical systems e.g: phones, computers, etc but he will not be able to see their clothes or hair color or wall paintings or furniture, etc....anything without an electrical pulse/current would be undetectable and absent in BLs x-ray vision yet his x-ray is being potrayed exactly like Supes.

Oh yeah.....I do agree with about about Batman being used to upgrade BL. That was very wrong carrying a heavy sub-twxt of black people (black men in this case) are incapable of achieve self improvement and ascent without handouts from white people.

That upgrade should have been BLs idea and achieved on his own.

It also contradicts the whole back n forth between BL and Batman were BL wants to do things and lead the team his without being under the thumb of and being dependent on Batman.

Ultimate Member

An in-depth explanation is that he flies via electromagnetism and has x-ray vision due to being able to see electrical impulses in the human body.

What really bothers me about the new Batman and the Outsiders comic is that he 'needed' an 'upgrade' from Batman to do things he was fully capable of doing pre Rebirth or whatever the current era of DC comics is.
    That is the new thing-black men need OTHERS to give them stuff DESPITE the past establishing many did it themselves.

That is what happens when you don't control a product.

from the Batman and the Outsiders Finale. For now it's looking like Jeff's next major appearance is gonna be in The Other History of the DC Universe (which may or may not be in continuity(?)). I hope we can get a Black Lightning title soon man, we need a high profile Black Lightning run! I don't know who but we need a stacked creative team for at least 12 issues to cement Black Lightning's place at the table. just please DC, for the love of god, don't even let Isabella smell the ink in the same room as this man's next book.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Since when did BL become electromagnetic?

His powers have always been pure electricity..... electromagnetism/EM powers is STATICs and SPECTRUM s/Monica Rambeau's superpower.....looks like they wanna head BL in that direction which would be too copycatie.
    If you go by real world physics (Maxwell's equations), you can't really have one without the other, unless you stick to the static case.
    Moving electrons generate magic fields and magnetic field effect the movement of electrons.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

from the Batman and the Outsiders Finale. For now it's looking like Jeff's next major appearance is gonna be in The Other History of the DC Universe (which may or may not be in continuity(?)). I hope we can get a Black Lightning title soon man, we need a high profile Black Lightning run! I don't know who but we need a stacked creative team for at least 12 issues to cement Black Lightning's place at the table. just please DC, for the love of god, don't even let Isabella smell the ink in the same room as this man's next book.
    Looks like they were going for the Lightimg/Kitana relationship, pretty cool. Also people two different hairstyle for Jefferson (cover and pages). I do like how Duke is at least a different color than Jeff.

Mighty Member

Wherever Jefferson appears next I hope he is with Tatsu. Those two are really great together and I hope future writers and storylines keep the relationship going. I like this younger unfettered Jeff, no ex wife drama or mature father to teen daughters. Just a recognized powerhouse in the DCU with loads of potential for appearances and new storylines.

fun little John cameo paired up with Jefferson in the Outsiders finale

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

fun little John cameo paired up with Jefferson in the Outsiders finale

Now that’s an awesome pairing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Wherever Jefferson appears next I hope he is with Tatsu. Those two are really great together and I hope future writers and storylines keep the relationship going. I like this younger unfettered Jeff, no ex wife drama or mature father to teen daughters. Just a recognized powerhouse in the DCU with loads of potential for appearances and new storylines.
    Disagree, Black Lightning without his daughters feels too generic. He can be a powerhouse with a family.

Disagree, Black Lightning without his daughters feels too generic. He can be a powerhouse with a family.
    Disagree. I have far more interest in getting to know the man Jefferson Pierce in his relative youth. I’m intrigued by this angle with Tatsu. I want to watch this character grow. Not already be grown.

We got to see Clark grow. Bruce grow. Barry grow. I want to see Jefferson grow. I want to see him grow into his future. Not speed to his family’s future.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Disagree. I have far more interest in getting to know the man Jefferson Pierce in his relative youth. I’m intrigued by this angle with Tatsu. I want to watch this character grow. Not already be grown.

We got to see Clark grow. Bruce grow. Barry grow. I want to see Jefferson grow. I want to see him grow into his future. Not speed to his family’s future.
    exactly, I have love for Anissa and Jennifer but they aren't really worth much if Black Lightning himself isn't built well and fleshed out. it's comics, there are a million ways to ensure fans that Thunder and Lightning are part of his future without skipping over Black Lightning establishing who he is right now. and honestly, his daughters were a relatively short stint in his canon and they didn't exactly do wonders for his characters growth when they suddenly busted on the scene. you can have them come from the future (or have Jeff go to the future) or some Multiverse shenanigans if you need to see them but I think fast forwarding the character a couple decades from what he is now would not turn out well from a storytelling standpoint. unless he goes the Batman route and adopts them.

currently following:

I mean, having kids and a family doesn't prevent someone from growing and I don't think incorporating them means transforming Jefferson into Cress Williams, they've just become an expected aspect of his character and world for general audiences.

I get wanting to see a character in their prime and youth growing into a more seasoned version of themselves and into that orbit of having a developed family around them, but short of giving a writer a consecutive 100-150 issue run on a character I'm not sure how doable that is to accomplish in today's market.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, having kids and a family doesn't prevent someone from growing and I don't think incorporating them means transforming Jefferson into Cress Williams, they've just become an expected aspect of his character and world for general audiences.

I get wanting to see a character in their prime and youth growing into a more seasoned version of themselves and into that orbit of having a developed family around them, but short of giving a writer a consecutive 100-150 issue run on a character I'm not sure how doable that is to accomplish in today's market.
    it's always doable, I think people are just too worried trying to rush to the end goal. the 17 issues they burned on this Outsiders book (which was lowkey a backdoor Black Lightning showcase) could've be a Black Lightning book to start getting stories under his belt. DC throws out random one off maxis and minis and short lived titles all the time, the problem it's never the characters they should be building up and they never are made to overtly build on what's established for the character. there isn't any reason that in 3-4 season of Black Lightning we get 6 issues of a BL solo but we have time to do Lois Lane mini, a Jimmy Olsen mini, a Martian Manhunter maxi, etc etc. that's not a knock on these characters, every character is someone's favorite, but all the talent and resources they pump into these scattershot random books could've been use to build up and capitalize on Black Lightning all these years. you don't need 100-150 issues, you can establish Black Lightning in 50 (Priest did it, Lobdell did it, hell Venditti breathed new life into Hawkman in 28 issues, and Gene Luen Yang did it with Mister Terrific in about the same. people forget, the daughters weren't around for all that long before people started warming up to them as being iconic to Jeff's character, like 8 years before the reset that I think were less than 100 issues in total.

currently following:

it's always doable, I think people are just too worried trying to rush to the end goal. the 17 issues they burned on this Outsiders book (which was lowkey a backdoor Black Lightning showcase) could've be a Black Lightning book to start getting stories under his belt. DC throws out random one off maxis and minis and short lived titles all the time, the problem it's never the characters they should be building up and they never are made to overtly build on what's established for the character. there isn't any reason that in 3-4 season of Black Lightning we get 6 issues of a BL solo but we have time to do Lois Lane mini, a Jimmy Olsen mini, a Martian Manhunter maxi, etc etc. that's not a knock on these characters, every character is someone's favorite, but all the talent and resources they pump into these scattershot random books could've been use to build up and capitalize on Black Lightning all these years. you don't need 100-150 issues, you can establish Black Lightning in 50 (Priest did it, Lobdell did it, hell Venditti breathed new life into Hawkman in 28 issues, and Gene Luen Yang did it with Mister Terrific in about the same. people forget, the daughters weren't around for all that long before people started warming up to them as being iconic to Jeff's character, like 8 years before the reset that I think were less than 100 issues in total.
    I definitely think the best thing for Jeff moving forward is more solo content. I think 100-150 is enough to get in everything you need for a character (Setting, Rogues, supporting cast, sidekicks, etc.) but in general he just needs more stories.

After today’s final issue of Outsiders, I’m excited for the direction Jeff will go in 2021. Whether it’s the League, teaming with Katana, a solo outing or all 3.