View Poll Results: Superheroes and their PTO

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that’s a great idea! Do it after every large storyline!

14 60.87%
  • Sure, but they should be used sparingly.

9 39.13%
  • No, they aren’t books that will appeal to readers who don’t know anything about their relationship.

0 0%
  • I’m undecided. Can you recommend an issue for me to see afar you’re talking about?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Default A Day in the Life...Downtime Issues

Does anyone else miss those down time issues where the multiverse wasn’t on the verge of collapse? Where we’d see Hal and Barry, or Hal and Ollie just get together and bullshit. Not a few scenes, here or there, but issues where their humanities are explored and expanded upon? Or if powers need to be a part of it, maybe a Superman/Flash charity race. Diana having a life that isn’t just being Wonder Woman? Have subplots sporadically to build up tension to something happening, but just let them be.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

JSA had a handful of these and they're some of my favorites. Hell, the Thanksgiving/Christmas one shots were masterful. Palette cleanser issues are underrated.

Speaking of Christmas, My Favorite would be...

Superman, Vol.2 #165
    (February, 2001)

I’m all for a day in the life stories.
    One of the best examples...:

I like them.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Those are usually the issue where the most character development happens so I am all for them.

Boisterously Confused

I like them a lot. I voted for sparingly b/c it shouldn't become rote [event.lounge.build.event.lounge.repeat]. I love them as a special treat.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I like them a lot. I voted for sparingly b/c it shouldn't become rote [event.lounge.build.event.lounge.repeat]. I love them as a special treat.
    I think they should be used sparingly, because a lot of people want action. I'd rather have fewer events and world-threatening storylines, in general, but I know that's not going to happen. Even so, I don't think the day-in-the-life need to be tied to any particular time, and like you said, not to have a formula. Also, I think a day in the life works best when not right after big events - that's when things are often in flux, something that at least should alter daily lives has just happened, etc. Not when we're having the typical days, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Palette cleanser issues are underrated.
    So true. We love to see big fights, conflicts and victories. The other aspects that make a good book great get forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Those are usually the issue where the most character development happens so I am all for them.
    And this is the main reason why. We discover a lot more about who these people (or whatevers) are in their quieter moments. While a lot can be learned from seeing people at work, seeing them at home fixing dinner, and planning the evenings tells you much more than how they do their jobs.

I did vote occasional, as one of these issues after every arc seems forced and formulaic. I'd much rather an occasion issue with a scene every now and then. We really do not need a five issue arc with 100 pages of all action heroics.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This is what JLI excelled in. I'd love to see a series that explores the heroes during their downtime, playing poker, gossiping about how dumb Superman was to reveal his identity, and seeing J'Onn bail Blue & Gold out of some good ol' shenanigans.

Issues like that are great, but I feel we rarely get even little scenes like that anymore. I keep thinking about a JLA issue where Hal and Clark were hanging out in the Fortress - they were doing some experiment or something, but they just chatted about what it's like to wield as much power as they do. It wasn't relevant to the plot at all, but it was great.

I love them, I'd love more of them, but having a formula where they do one after every big arc would start to feel forced and artificial. Do them when they feel right and fall naturally into the beats of the story.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I voted to use them sparingly for reasons already given.

In truth though, I think a run becomes stronger when these moments are interspliced within the broader arcs, rather than as standalone issues. Those moments let the story breathe a bit and elevate the stakes into something personal. I'm much more likely to care about the hero being in peril or going through a struggle if they've been humanized within the story.

But in terms of standalone issues, I like powers being used subtly or in service of a personal act of charity or service that doesn't involve punching someone. These characters are so dynamic in what they can do, and all they seem to do is fight fight fight. I get it, action sells, but a challenge doesn't have to be a bad guy, and action doesn't have to be fighting.

Sparingly or they lose most of their appeal.

Jimenez's Wonder Woman #170 is a favorite of mine.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

These are always great issues because it humanizes these larger than life characters.

Recently Avengers did this after a giant Thor event and it's refreshing to see the emotional aftermath of these cosmic fisticuffs.

I really wish Snyder utilized this more in his writing, if he had done this in his Justice League or Batman it would add so much more to the characters because currently it just feels like DC characters go from one crisis to the next without even thinking about what just happened.

Joker nearly killed my child - off to my next adventure
    Luthor hired an assassins supervillain to kill my wife - off to my next adventure
    Dick Grayson was just shot in the head - off to my next adventure