Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

I guess they can shift the daughters' ages for any story too .

Finally Anissa and Jennifer are back. I really disliked how they tried to erase them from comics, glad those attempts failed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Finally Anissa and Jennifer are back. I really disliked how they tried to erase them from comics, glad those attempts failed.
    What’s up with DC not using and promoting them iN comics when the show was out?

Was it due to Isabella?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

Was it due to Isabella?
    it was probably one of those things where they wanted the characters to be distinct so fans "don't get confused" or something, because it felt like they wanted to subtly reinforce Jefferson is a younger hero and not the older grizzled guy on the show. it's hard to say really considering their refusal to even attempt a Black Lightning solo ongoing during (if they don't announce one by season 4's end) the entirety of his show's run. so it's hard to tell what DC's vision was/is for Black Lightning.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-02-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

^DC's generally terrible at synergizing with their cross media counterparts. It's usually a one way street where stuff Nu52 may end up on screen but stuff originating from there rarely impacts the comics.

Anyway, I just came into this thread to say that John Ridley's 'Otherside of the DCU' is the single best DC comic I've read in a while. I've been ambivalent about DC's output for this year but this was worth the read.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it was probably one of those things where they wanted the characters to be distinct so fans "don't get confused" or something, because it felt like they wanted to subtly reinforce Jefferson is a younger hero and not the older grizzled guy on the show. it's hard to say really considering they're refusal to even attempt a Black Lightning solo ongoing during (if they don't announce one by season 4's end) the entirety of his show's run. so it's hard to tell what DC's vision was/is for Black Lightning.
    What was happening to Marvel's Captain America was different from what was happening to him on screen yet Marvel made sure to synch up the launch of a new Captain America book with the release of the latest Cap movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

Was it due to Isabella?
    Yeah, I read somewhere that Isabella was one of the main reasons as he hated the fact that Jefferson had daughters, so he tried to erase them and then tried to retcon them as Jefferson's cousins or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    ^DC's generally terrible at synergizing with their cross media counterparts. It's usually a one way street where stuff Nu52 may end up on screen but stuff originating from there rarely impacts the comics.

Anyway, I just came into this thread to say that John Ridley's 'Otherside of the DCU' is the single best DC comic I've read in a while. I've been ambivalent about DC's output for this year but this was worth the read.
    I remember the first season of Supergirl was either over or winding down when they finally announced a new comic for Kara.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Given how poorly Outsiders sold, I expect that Black Lightning will get something digital first, but The Other History of the DC Universe certainly put a big spotlight on him, but likely for his back issues.

I hope that Endless Winter does something worthwhile with Black Lightning. I think he should be a more regular part of the larger DCU, along with his daughters.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Given how poorly Outsiders sold, I expect that Black Lightning will get something digital first, but The Other History of the DC Universe certainly put a big spotlight on him, but likely for his back issues.

I hope that Endless Winter does something worthwhile with Black Lightning. I think he should be a more regular part of the larger DCU, along with his daughters.
    Totally agree that he deserves more use in the larger DCU. Jefferson is like top 3 role models in the DCU. How is he not getting more play? Dude is an educator, Olympian gold medal winner, superhero and father.

What's a guy gotta do?

After the strength of Other History's opening salvo I really hope it's not the last time we see John Ridley take Jefferson under his pen.

I hope that BL gets a slight costume redesign in the near future. I’m really not feeling the goggles. I think he would look way cooler if he didn’t have a mask and just had white/electric eyes when he’s using his powers. the rest of his costume is fine.

Last edited by Robotman; 12-03-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I hope that BL gets a slight costume redesign in the near future. I’m really not feeling the goggles. I think he would look way cooler if he didn’t have a mask and just had white/electric eyes when he’s using his powers. the rest of his costume is fine.

not gonna lie, I've grown to really enjoy the googles. it feels like it adds a touch of cyberpunk, a hint techieness to give him a little bit of an afrofuturism vibe. I think they should double down on the scifi elements and go with something more in line with the latest version of his character design on the show (i'd tone down some of the busier silver lines on his suit tho).

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    not gonna lie, I've grown to really enjoy the googles. it feels like it adds a touch of cyberpunk, a hint techieness to give him a little bit of an afrofuturism vibe. I think they should double down on the scifi elements and go with something more in line with the latest version of his character design on the show (i'd tone down some of the busier silver lines on his suit tho).

This isn't too far off from his modern costume in my opinion.

Mighty Member

You know, I just want to see Black Lightning in his own comic.

It's been a long time coming, (1995) After the mini series they should have launched a regular series when the Netflix show got hot. I'm sure it could have stretched to 18 issues at the very least sales wise.

I guess the chances of his own title is slim now that the WB show is slated to go into its last year, but here's hoping they will do something with him soon, outside of a super team.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This isn't too far off from his modern costume in my opinion.

his modern costume is based off his first suit from season one.

I feel this look is more streamlined (relatively given the medium) than that one. the color placements is less blocky and tacked on, the blue and yellow are far more balanced in the design. i also think this one has better texture, incorporating that sorta circuit board pattern more prominently and less of the bulky metal-plated bits; it conveys that sleek scifi/afrofuturism feel better imo.

currently following: