Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If she does keep her current powers, she'd technically no longer be a Green Lantern (notice that she doesn't make constructs any more - probably because she can't). So she'd need a new name. One of the animated movies gave her one: Limelight. Do you guys think she should adopt that name in the comics?
    Saw the movie. I don't think that was actually a codename, but a confused metaphor by the speaker; when we see the glimpse of the future, Jessica is remembered as a Green Lantern, not a Limelight.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Thinking Jessica will take over the GL book for 5G.
    a Jessica book would be interesting to see, I wonder how epic they'd go with Jessica Cruz at the lead. I would hope if they do a Jess book that they reference her development in Odyssey. she's got a sorta Kitty Pryde meets Star Lord vibe going on, I wonder how they would build off that persona in a solo run.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    a Jessica book would be interesting to see, I wonder how epic they'd go with Jessica Cruz at the lead. I would hope if they do a Jess book that they reference her development in Odyssey. she's got a sorta Kitty Pryde meets Star Lord vibe going on, I wonder how they would build off that persona in a solo run.
    I think a Jessica book would be more down-to-Earth then "epic."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    that would be a shame, we've done down to earth Jess, if they are going to make her the headlining Green Lantern book, she should be in space taking on large-scale cosmic threats like they would make Hal or John or Kyle if they were headlining; Kyle was largely on earth in the 90s but even he's had his more epic adventures.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

that would be a shame, we've done down to earth Jess, if they are going to make her the headlining Green Lantern book, she should be in space taking on large-scale cosmic threats like they would make Hal or John or Kyle if they were headlining; Kyle was largely on earth in the 90s but even he's had his more epic adventures.
    I'm looking at it from a character perspective. I just feels she fits better with Earth-driven and character-oriented stories. Not to say she can't occasionally be involve in an epic cosmic event, but I feel like you should build up to it.

Frankly, I'm not expecting her to be the new headlining GL since it seems like they'll be going with someone even newer.

I love her

Excellent image to start this appreciation topic.

I'm looking at it from a character perspective. I just feels she fits better with Earth-driven and character-oriented stories. Not to say she can't occasionally be involve in an epic cosmic event, but I feel like you should build up to it.

Frankly, I'm not expecting her to be the new headlining GL since it seems like they'll be going with someone even newer.
    But none of the newer ones are suitable. Jo from Far Sector is from the future, Keli, the Teen Lantern in Young Justice, is just a kid, and so is the boy from that new graphic novel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

IMHO, I think the character is on the "down-to-earth" spectrum. I mean, for all the power she's been given with the ring and other sources, she's not much of a "god among men" type, like Superman or Wonder Woman. Frankly, I think she has more in common with superhero characters like Spider-Man and other street-level operators then not.

IMHO, I'd like to see a revival of the series she and Simon Baz shared, but, in any event, hope the character doesn't get pushed to the back like so many great legacy characters do over time.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I hope Jessica takes over as GL for 5G. It makes the most sense and her leading a solo title wold be so cool! Though it makes too much sense to make her the main Gl for 5G, therefore DC likely won’t do it.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Bringing back this thread because she was mentioned in the John Stewart thread. What race do you consider Jessica Cruz? Does she count as a diverse character? A poster was debating that she’s another White character and is similar to Diana or Harley, race wise. Curious to see what others think.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Bringing back this thread because she was mentioned in the John Stewart thread. What race do you consider Jessica Cruz? Does she count as a diverse character? A poster was debating that she’s another White character and is similar to Diana or Harley, race wise. Curious to see what others think.
    I've always considered her as a Latino with mostly native ancestry. She may have some white in her but for the most part has native.

So far I think my favorite appearance of her I think was in the JL: Fatal Five movie.

Extraordinary Member

The way jessica cruz looks in comics?
    She look half white and is half white.
    She may have near white look or almost near white look depending on the art.
    Most of the time i think it's the latter.
    Anyway she is brown racially like simon baz for example.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-09-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Judging by her physical appearance, she is clearly meant to be a diverse character. Other than the racial diversity aspect, her anxiety issues add to the representation factor as well. So yes, I'd certainly consider her diverse.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-09-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Jessica is Mexican/American on her fathers side, Honduran/American on her mothers. Her Honduran heritage was first mentioned during Tim Seeley's run on Green Lanterns.

Her physical appearance has varied at times, probably by artists that haven't been too focused on her character, but she is usually depicted as a bit of a generic Latina. She definitely isn't white.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    She is diverse. She is part of a groujp where there is no set in stone appearance. She can look like Natalie Martinez (CSI New York) or Zoey Salanda or Arlen Escarpeta.

Part of the issue we are seeing is colorist doing whatever they want (Hi Sunspot & Monet) in most comics.