Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Jessica Cruz: Green Lantern Appreciation Thread 2020

one of the biggest breakouts of the 2010s, 1/2 of my favorite Green Lantern team, and the first lady of the Earth Lanterns; Jessica Cruz! I'm pretty into Jessica, while I love her the most when she's bouncing off Simon, she's second only to John Stewart in my heart and easily one of my favorite female characters from DC ever. she's just great!

I'm gonna spruce this into up later but, do you think that they are gonna have Jessica become a reinterpretation of the Omega Lantern using these Darkseid powers? if only temporary? what do you think are the Abnett's plans for Jessica going forward?

Link to last year's thread
    Link to the original thread
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I hope the Omega Effect powers are only temporary. A Green Lantern shouldn't need anything other than a ring and I never like it when they try to add something more to make one earth GL more "special" than the others.

I do think that she's grown beyond her initial agoraphobic origins and it's awesome how far she's come in such a short period of time - being a mainstay in DC Superhero Girls has been great for her exposure to a new generation. I have no doubt we'll see her live-action soon as well! (in either the tv show or the GLC movie)

Yeah I really am glad that Jessica is becoming a bigger character, while I do hope to see more Simon Baz in the future, I’m really glad that she’s still around and doing important stuff and I can’t wait to see her do more. I’m not sure how to feel about the Darkseid power, it’s not a bad thing and it’s genuinely interesting just no idea if I want her to keep it or not.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

on the Omega powers, I'm still waiting to see how they get explained and fleshed out a bit more. if it is meant to stay this nebulous then I can definitely see them just being a temporary thing, especially considering she's still wearing the standard Green Lantern suit. However if they grow into something interesting I think I'd be fine with her embracing them and doing her own thing, lord knows DC is struggling maintaining having so many interesting running under the Green Lantern banner. however, I love her teamed up with Simon and she is becoming the definitive female Green Lantern, I don't think I want her to lose that and such a status quo shift would definitely uproot that.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

BANNED

What does the Omega ring do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    What does the Omega ring do?
    IIRC the Kyle Rayner Omega Lantern was just a darker-tinged White Lantern.

currently following:

BANNED

Nvm, I just skimmed through recaps, her power is Omega Effect like. No ring is needed anymore, so I wonder if her control of her power is connected to will power?

Nvm, I just skimmed through recaps, her power is Omega Effect like. No ring is needed anymore, so I wonder if her control of her power is connected to will power?
    you may be on to something, she did get her ring crushed into her hand before being bombarded with Omega beams. considering she's still recieving transmissions to her ring from Vic in her dreams, maybe her will to live plus the ring fragments helped her revive via absorbing the Omega effect.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    you may be on to something, she did get her ring crushed into her hand before being bombarded with Omega beams. considering she's still recieving transmissions to her ring from Vic in her dreams, maybe her will to live plus the ring fragments helped her revive via absorbing the Omega effect.
    Hey if Alan Scott can literally fuse with his magic lantern at times then I could totally believe a freak accident where the fragments of a lantern ring are just lodged inside someone but still operational so long as powered by willpower.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Hey if Alan Scott can literally fuse with his magic lantern at times then I could totally believe a freak accident where the fragments of a lantern ring are just lodged inside someone but still operational so long as powered by willpower.
    exactly, wouldn't be the first time someone was able to pull off a miracle with little to no ring, Jade could wield Starheart with here birthmark and John Stewart is a human power ring right now, plus even Simon was able to use the fragments of a Green Lantern power ring in Green Lanterns. I think it's more than likely how she survived, the question is what comes next?

currently following:

Nice to see my favorite DC character get a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I hope the Omega Effect powers are only temporary. A Green Lantern shouldn't need anything other than a ring and I never like it when they try to add something more to make one earth GL more "special" than the others.
    Yeah, interesting for a story, but I'd like things to get back to normal after it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I do think that she's grown beyond her initial agoraphobic origins and it's awesome how far she's come in such a short period of time - being a mainstay in DC Superhero Girls has been great for her exposure to a new generation. I have no doubt we'll see her live-action soon as well! (in either the tv show or the GLC movie)
    Hope so.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

If she does keep her current powers, she'd technically no longer be a Green Lantern (notice that she doesn't make constructs any more - probably because she can't). So she'd need a new name. One of the animated movies gave her one: Limelight. Do you guys think she should adopt that name in the comics?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If she does keep her current powers, she'd technically no longer be a Green Lantern (notice that she doesn't make constructs any more - probably because she can't). So she'd need a new name. One of the animated movies gave her one: Limelight. Do you guys think she should adopt that name in the comics?
    considering the Omega effect isn't green it wouldn't really work if she kept the powers. if they make the powers permanent and she wasn't a Lantern she'd probably get a design overhaul that'll make the name limelight less likely. I was learning toward a recontextualized use of the name Omega Lantern but thinking about it, it doesn't roll off the tongue very well. iunno, maybe have it be a codename and she just goes by Jessica Cruz, although we'll have to see what they're doing with these powers before we can gauge how likely any of that is.

currently following:

BANNED

Thinking Jessica will take over the GL book for 5G.

Happy New Year to my favorite fear-overcoming female Lantern .
    Thinking Jessica will take over the GL book for 5G.
    I wouldn't mind it, but Jessica feels too much like the obvious choice.