Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    But not dark enough that they would cast a black actor to play Sunspot, or have Gina Torres play a latina even though she is one.

The problem with Hollywood, and the US in general is that they have a very narrow view of what constitute being a latino. This is clear with Gina Torres, who don't get roles of latinas and on James Roday who had to change his names because he was too white to play a latino.
    Yeah. The idea in Hollywood is that latinos have darker skin than white people, but lighter skin than black people. So, Hollywood would hire latino with that skin tone for latino characters.

However, the point I was trying to convey was that it is pretty unlikely they would cast a white latino actor for Jessica Cruz, which seems to be the fear of lemonplace.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-11-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Honestly, I think Holywood only see color. That's why they always think a Latino character should have darker skin.

In fact, it is more unlikely that Holywood would hire a white latino actor for a latino character. They would usually hire a darkest skin latino, because they want to let clear that the character is latino.
    "doesn't see color" was used ironically, as to point out Hollywood's notoriously poor track record with colorism and cast and such. what Hollywood are you talking about? Hollywood's problem with the latino has never been hiring "too dark". not gonna lie, that assertion seems pretty insulting to the the very real and regular erasure of the afro-latino community in media. google latina actress and majority of the shade you are gonna see is barely above a tan white person, even the very few afro-latina actresses of prominence are fairly light-skinned. the odds of them casting a white passing or straight up white Latina is far more likely that they are to hiring a darker skin afro-latino or native/mixed actress. Ra-El makes a good point, Hollywood has a very narrow idea of what Latino looks like; and I know one thing for sure, it ain't all that dark my guy. even the people we've thrown out here, while relatively tan, a lot of them are still not all that dark (some are still pretty white passing).
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-11-2020 at 07:19 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    "doesn't see color" was used ironically, as to point out Hollywood's notoriously poor track record with colorism and cast and such. what Hollywood are you talking about? Hollywood's problem with the latino has never been hiring "too dark". not gonna lie, that assertion seems pretty insulting to the the very real and regular erasure of the afro-latino community in media. google latina actress and majority of the shade you are gonna see is barely above a tan white person, even the very few afro-latina actresses of prominence are fairly light-skinned. the odds of them casting a white passing or straight up white Latina is far more likely that they are to hiring a darker skin afro-latino or native/mixed actress. Ra-El makes a good point, Hollywood has a very narrow idea of what Latino looks like; and I know one thing for sure, it ain't all that dark my guy. even the people we've thrown out here, while relatively tan, a lot of them are still not all that dark (some are still pretty white passing).
    My point was never to hint or imply that Hollywood has a problem of hiring "too dark" Latinos. I am perfectly aware that Hollywood ignores darker skin latinos.

My point is that Hollywood usually pigeonhole Latinos on a skin tone.

So, it is pretty unlikely they will hire a white latino actor for Jessica Cruz, because they would want the character to reflect the idea they have for a latino.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-11-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    unfortunately, Hollywood "doesn't see color" so there is a GOOD chance whoever does the casting won't be able to tell the difference and will "just so happen" to cast a white Latina actress; which would be unfortunate imo.

you have a good crop of choices, I wouldn't mind any of these. (side bar: I agree Eiza would make a good Hawkgirl but I think Kendra is supposed to be afro-latina so I would rather her for Jess so they could go with an afro-latina actress). I'd throw in Melissa Barrera, she has a show called Vida and she's gonna be in the In the Heights movie coming down the pipeline; she has a grounded relatable vibe that reminds me of Jess. Her sister on the show (Mishel Prada) plays a more neurotic type-A kinda character, I think she could pull off a fresh just coming out of her severe anxiety era Jess.
    Melissa is also a good choice... honestly I’m excited to see who they cast as Jess. They have a lot of options! One thing is for sure, she better be a Latina!

After further thought, Stephanie Sigman would be my top choice for Jess. She’s Mexican, Brown and a great actress. Also has done action before.

I also wouldn’t mind them casting a Native American actress as Jessica either, since that’s what she is racially. Ashley Callingbull or Kahara Hodges would be my choices if that’s the case!

In my view In terms of casting Jessica (and even Jaime and other Mexican characters), Native Latino actor or Native actor is the way to go. I’d prefer the latter over casting another White Latina

Then the other 22 pages will be filled with tales across the Corps. What happens to all the other Lanterns? What happens to Jessica Cruz? What happens to Guy Gardener? What happens to the Teen Lantern and Mogo if they’re on a mission together and the power battery goes down? We’re going to get a wide variety of tones and admissions and artwork to across these stories that feature the tale of Green Lantern Corps. I think John Stewart’s going to get a great spotlight.

Wait, so Keli becomes an official Lantern?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Will Jessica's story mention what happened to Simon?

DC remembers Simon?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    DC remembers Simon?
    He was in one of the Death Metal stories, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I also wouldn’t mind them casting a Native American actress as Jessica either, since that’s what she is racially. Ashley Callingbull or Kahara Hodges would be my choices if that’s the case!

In my view In terms of casting Jessica (and even Jaime and other Mexican characters), Native Latino actor or Native actor is the way to go. I’d prefer the latter over casting another White Latina
    Also good choices...

Extraordinary Member

I think some folks confuse race with nationally or ethnicity.
    I mention something like this in the dc native american/mestizo thread.
    Mestizos by the way could be racially asiatic looking,brown looking or white looking.

Most native americans are racially Asiatic looking and jessica is not from the art i have seen.
    Native americans come in all phenotypes but racially most are Asiatic but not all.

Some native americans today by the way are white,some brown and some black.
    Take quake from agents of shield.
    She is part asian but looks and is racially intermediate (brown) with a near white look.

The actress they cast for moonstar for example in the new mutants movie is a brown race looking native american,so that is not average native american.
    Jason momoa (aquaman) in the dceu is part Asiatic but racially is brown but has a near white look.
    The actor Temuera Morrison who plays dceu aquaman father is harder to pinpoint,but i think he has more of a brown look then a asiatic look i think.

Taika waititi has a brown look for example.

The older teenage version of arthur looks Asiatic so that was inconsistent but the other kid actors look racially brown as well in the movie.
    Still a really good movie however.

Racially jessica is the same has godspeed,jessica alba,jasmine from aladdin(cartoon and the live action movie) jason momoa renee montoya,kamala khan,simon baz,nova sam alexander,robbie reyes(ghost rider).

She is not same racially like warpath,dawnstar,eugene choi or equinox or maybe Jaime Reyes.

Jessica cruz racially looks like god speed latino from the comics and not the first god speed from the flash tv show.
    That one looks asiatic and he was native american in the cw show before crisis.
    The one in comics is latino.

With jamie it's hard to pin point the look because i have not seen enough of him.
    He is either racially brown or asiatic(depending on artist) but i what i seen so far he is suppose to be a asiatic looking native american latino.
    Not jessica.

Kahara hodges i just looked her up and and it says she is afro- native american but racially i am not too sure what she fall under yet.
    It is either black or brown phenotype wise.
    If brown then jessica racially would be like her.
    Ashley Callingbull looks racially asiatic to me.

Anyway a actress they would need to get to be accurate to the comics racially wise for jessica would be someone that looks like they could related to simon baz or robbie reyes for example.
    When you think about they do look related.

This was posted in another forum.
    The New mutants film talk and brown washing(yes there is such i thing).
    Those actors who play sunspot and cecilia reyes are not white anyway in new mutants. They are brown and folks have been complaining about the race change of sunspot and doctor cecilia reyes in comic book forums and other places but you and armin have not been paying attention. Even the native american actor in the movie is race changed. In movie she looks brown but the character in comics mirage is racially mongoloid looking. Now there are brown race looking native americans but mirage or dani moonstar is not brown.
    She suppose to look east asian looking.

Danielle Moonstar

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Danie...ar_(Earth-616)

Even the sunspot casting was talk about years ago in movie days of future past on comicbook forums and other places.That actor who play a older sunspot i think was a white latino who is mexican or mexican american.

Anyway to my other point.
    IF they do not pick a native american or latino brown race looking actress for jessica i would rather they pick a asiatic looking native american or latino actress then a white looking latino actress.
    I would say the same thing for the ms america chavez casting and echo casting in the upcoming mcu.
    In fact america chavez will be showing up in the mcu and echo as well.
    Echo is native american and latino.
    They are looking for a native american actress or latino actress or both.
    Info here below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/...eye-exclusive/

Illuminerdi is reporting that that casting call we got for a deaf/indigenous/latina actress a while back was indeed for Echo, and she will be making her debut in the Hawkeye show.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Part-II/page81

Note- In comics i know racially speaking ms. america chavez is brown but i am not to clear on echo yet.
    Echo is either racially asiatic or racially brown in comics but i have not seen enough to really know yet.
    Last edited by mace11; 10-16-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Edited above.
    or
    The older teenage version of arthur looks more Asiatic so that was inconsistent but the other kid actors look racially brown as well in the movie.
    Note- i was looking back more carefully at the young versions of arthur and realized the only one that was racially inconsistent was the older teenage version of arthur.
    There is a younger teenage version but he looks racially brown looking carefully at the pic.

Solicitations for Future State GL say the backup Jess feature will her up against the Sinestro Corps but apparently ringless.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-16-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Solicitations for Future Slate GL say the backup Jess feature will her up against the Sinestro Corps but apparently ringless.
    That's one way to pit her against Sinestro .