Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Has anyone been keeping up with this. Jamal Campbell is knocking it out of the park with the art. N.K. Jemisin writing is good too.
    Yep. I’m loving the series. Wish there was more discussion of it here.

I have to reread them but yeah I still keep up with it.

Picked this up, and read the first three issues. I'll probably get through the other published issues in the coming days.

First, I'm a bit disappointed in how anthropomorphic all of the alien species are, given how alien and imaginative the world-building is. My perspective here might be a little skewed, given that I grew up reading Valérian et Laureline.

Second, Jemisin sure sets the bar high when she goes for a science fiction mystery—the two genres are seldom combined because the requirements on how to handle the rules of the world and the story are so different.

Third, this is a love letter to science fiction and fandom. Jo gets her fanfic from TO3, which isn't fooling anyone's who's been visiting AO3. And CanHaz is an AI who wants cat memes: see Cat Pictures Please by Naomi Kritzer.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Jo was the 5G Justice League Green Lantern. However, the main GL book stars John Stewart.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jo was the 5G Justice League Green Lantern. However, the main GL book stars John Stewart.
    I guess that solves that mystery .

Incredible Member

Any title with Jo in I will get as Far Sector has been an outstanding book so far.

Main takeaway is Jo has the best costume of the legacy characters so far.

Incredible Member

Is it confirmed it's Jo? I mean like officially? Sure it looks like her but...

I'll be honest, I'd prefer if it wasn't.

For me, I think books fair better when they are as independent from "continuity"/ others as much as possible. I know this is just a "future look" but don't want DC getting any ideas.

They "fair" better but they don't matter unless they're a part of the continuity lbr.

People weren't even willing to pick up the maxi b/c they were under the impression the book wasn't connected to continuity at all ...or they were using that reason as some excuse to justify not wanting to pick up the book as if any of us cared lol.

So I am assuming that because in the difference in how her ring works (that it is self-charging) is the reason why she still has power while the rest of the GLC is out of commission when the battery dies. Which I guess would make Jo the last green lantern in the entire universe during Future State.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    They "fair" better but they don't matter unless they're a part of the continuity lbr.

People weren't even willing to pick up the maxi b/c they were under the impression the book wasn't connected to continuity at all ...or they were using that reason as some excuse to justify not wanting to pick up the book as if any of us cared lol.
    Honestly with out of continuity stories I think it’s important to strike a good balance. Because looking just at Jo, you don’t need to know the extensive history of the green lantern corps but you probably need a basic understanding of what a green lantern is. So I think when it comes to out of continuity stories using dc heroes or concepts that the important thing is to know at least the bare minimum of a concept or character
    Last edited by sifighter; 10-26-2020 at 07:50 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm 50/50 on her appearing in Future State. I prefer her being on her own Earth than on Prime.

She was always created as part of continuity, NK was even asked how difficult it was to work in the confines of dc continuity in one of her first comic panels, so maybe I'm not getting why DC treating the character like she's in continuity is a bad thing.

#1 is now on DC Universe.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I really gotta get back on this book. I dropped off around #3 and I don't recall why. How has it been since? You don't gotta tell me the art's phenomenal because Jamal Campbell can't help deliver anything but.

I'm considering trade waiting since I've missed a few months, but a few limited series in my pull are concluding and I'll have a little extra in my comics budget until Future State shows up and buries my finances. Far Sector was one I was considering filling that gap with again.

Finished reading issue #8 last night. It's starting to pick-up in terms of closing in on answers to the mystery the book has been setting up, rather slowly, over the past 5-6 issues. Up until this point, the world building and broader themes have taken center stage relative to moving the core story along.

And that's fine, because god damn is it ever done well. Jo Mullein is easily the best new human GL, in my opinion, since Kyle Rayner. I know that's not going to be a popular opinion with some, but I love this woman.