Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default Dropping the ball during pandemic

To Marvel
    During the Covid pandemic Marvel & DC could have been heroes to all fans with a great crossover that could have
    helped fanboys and fan girls get distracted from the pandemic by doing an incredible crossover event. Imagine a crossover similar to JLA/Avengers or better yet a combination sequel to Secret Wars and the Convergence where DC’s and Marvel’s multiverses meet? Face it both companies dropped the ball during this crisis instead of raising prices both companies should have done something together for the fans.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Even if they wanted to do it, planning, writing and drawing something that huge would take monthes, if not years.
    It wouldn't even begin before 2021.
    And this assuming they would have worked hard on it since the first days of the pandemia, when nobody knew how long that situation would last (which we still don't know).
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

That's super unrealistic.

The federal government was incredibly underprepared and still isn't doing a great job combatting the pandemic.

Marvel was doing its best to maintain business as usual while respecting local comic shops. Then take into account the massive economic losses Disney is still taking. There have been thousands of employees laid off and pay cuts. Only a few companies and departments were in a position to take any dynamic actions. The comic book publishing side was not one of those unless they did something on the digital end, which frankly seems like a bad investment. Their focus is on Disney+ and their other properties Hulu, Disney+, etc., as it should be.

Lastly, we are still very much in a pandemic, and times are tough for many citizens. We'll be in a pandemic next year and maybe into 2022; this isn't over.
    The J-man

all the legal stuff would get in the way-- and of course, who gets to write it, who gets to draw it, etc.

I predict it will happen again someday. But not now.

Mighty Member

This kind of thing takes years of planning and talks. It’s hard enough to get a single comic on shelves, never mind a cross company comic between the two biggest companies out there. Although the pandemic may have increased the chances, the biggest factor stopping it is Warner and Disney, especially as they are also direct competitors and have been for years.
    I would have said at the start of the pandemic, we could hear talk of one in the next five years, but after DC dropped diamond and the nastiness that came from Marvel with those variants, it may have pushed talks back a bit.

I’m sure I’ll see another in my lifetime, I hope I do. But it won’t be anytime soon.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The Covid economy is just not right for that sort of undertaking. DC alone had a major reduction in forces with much of their remaining talent doing everything that they can just to keep the company afloat. Even if the two companies could push a project like that, the soft market all but assures that they won't achieve max sales. Fewer and fewer people have income to purchase comics. Loyalists are buying their favorite titles, but not much else.

The only way that a DC/Marvel crossover would happen is if AT&T decides to get rid of DC, the sale resulting in them being divorced from Warner Bros. However, I can't see that happening, as it would cripple The CW network (half of their shows are Arrowverse ones) and lose HBO Max a fair amount of content.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I saw a video on Youtube with a guy talking about how his relatives lived during the pandemic 100 years ago, but never mentioned it. It was like people didn't want to remember it. I wonder if it's just going to go away, and people will act like nothing ever happened in 5 years (after it ends), or if they're going to include it in pop culture to remind themselves of this terrible time in our lives. Some (a lot of) people don't even believe it's real. They might boycott Marvel if they write stories about it. It's too insane now.

Things were different 100 years ago. No television (started in the 1930s). Not even radio (that started later in the 1920s). Movies were still silent. So, it was a lot easier to ignore. This pandemic has had too great an impact on culture. It won't be forgotten.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    all the legal stuff would get in the way-- and of course, who gets to write it, who gets to draw it, etc.

I predict it will happen again someday. But not now.
    True everyone would want to get paid
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Things were different 100 years ago. No television (started in the 1930s). Not even radio (that started later in the 1920s). Movies were still silent. So, it was a lot easier to ignore. This pandemic has had too great an impact on culture. It won't be forgotten.
    And there's money to be made from it. People will definitely take advantage of the situation. They're already taking advantage of it, but it'll be different.

Astonishing Member

Didn't planned events get pushed back, and you have this here going "They should have done something really big on top of that".