Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Just wondering, just how massive was the Thunderbolts are the Masters of Evil twist back in 1997? I wasn't even three when the first issue came out, so obviously I can't say, but reading it now it's easy to see the foreshadowing, but only because I already know how it goes.

Anyone have any memory of how big it was back then?
    Hard to say, I wasn't internetting as much back then, and, unlike 'events' of this era, it was revealed in the very first issue, and not dragged out over a 'paced for trade' six issues or so. OTOH, the FF and Avengers had just gone off-line, and this new Thunderbolts team was *the* new (if unproven) thing...

Honestly, I have no idea how it would have hit if the FF and Avengers *weren't* sidelined, or, possibly even worse, being 'Reborn' under the pen of Rob Liefield...

I continue to wait for someone to save Songbird from Arctic limbo, please Marvel its been years, she’s already a popsicle

All-New Member

Just wondering, just how massive was the Thunderbolts are the Masters of Evil twist back in 1997? I wasn't even three when the first issue came out, so obviously I can't say, but reading it now it's easy to see the foreshadowing, but only because I already know how it goes.

I remember it being quite the twist and kind of a big deal. Personally, I was confused about it. I wasn't much of an Avengers reader at the time, strictly X-Men and Spider-man, and I had no clue who most of the villains were.

I wondered who are these chumps and how are they any kind of threat to the Avengers. Of course now they are my favorite characters and are the reason I have an appreciation for lesser known C-list heroes and villians.

I remember well and it was such a shock as it was completely unexpected and not spoiled by the internet.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

i was lucky to be there on the ground floor and have no idea what they were planning. i was already a huge masters of evil fan because of siege on avengers mansion. plus, the avengers books just weren't that great, at that point (because of the onslaught stuff). there was plenty of room for the new team.

As I recall, we knew there was a big twist to be revealed in issue 1. This was in the early days of the internet withe usenet forums. But the nature of the twist was still a shock for most readers, including myself. In a post dark avengers world, it would be far less shocking, but in those days I think it was more difficult to guess that the new heroes were really villains. It worked and the book remained strong through multiple years and multiple writers. I’m good with a new ongoing, but the concept has to be strong.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Facts.
    You know it, Snoop. Citizen V wouldn't be a household name without Zemo.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i was lucky to be there on the ground floor and have no idea what they were planning. i was already a huge masters of evil fan because of siege on avengers mansion. plus, the avengers books just weren't that great, at that point (because of the onslaught stuff). there was plenty of room for the new team.
    I know what you mean, Watkins. As a long time reader of Marvel, I certainly didn't see that ending coming at all. Initially, I thought Marvel was just jumping on the Image bandwagon and trotting out new (but superficial) young heroes. But that ending rocked my world, and renewed my faith in everything Marvel.

Young? Aren't most of the original team meant to be in their 30s? Obviously Jolt was a teenager, but none of the others were of the New Warriors generation. Not until Charcoal joined the team, anyway.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Young? Aren't most of the original team meant to be in their 30s? Obviously Jolt was a teenager, but none of the others were of the New Warriors generation. Not until Charcoal joined the team, anyway.
    In the end, you're proven right. But admittedly, throughout that first issue until the big reveal, everyone was in disguise and looked unusually different from how they're normally depicted elsewhere. This totally threw me off, but I wasn't saying they looked like teenagers.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-18-2020 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Added clarification.

Poor charcoal

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Poor charcoal
    Blame his contest winning creator...

I'd like to see a new team organized by Luke Cage.

One staple of all Tbolt rosters is the member who is in over their head or unaware of the overall agenda. First it was Jolt. Then it was that wrestler who was in it for good reasons. Then came Genis vell and Blizzard. Ant-man wasn’t innocent but he was in over his head. Troll and Kobik were simply impressionable. I didn’t read the run with Elektra and Punisher. I wonder who the next dupe will be.

The next iteration could be lead by Jessica Drew Spider-Woman. She would be perfect to lead a bunch of villains that need reform. She reformed Roger Gocking the Porcupine. There are a bunch of villains out there that could be on this team. Some could reform. Some never reform and some where you just don’t know.

There needs to be an ongoing though. Spencer would be the perfect writer because he always incorporates D list villains and actually makes them fun to read and interesting.

I think a few of The Redeemers were young.

I thought they were awesome anti-villain protagonists for the Bolts.