Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Final Fantasy game is good to start with?

Anybody play the ff series and have any thoughts on which to start with? Humble has a sale and I've always wanted to play a ff game, but never go into it, but not sure where to start. I don't think my computer will run FFXV and I also don't want to play that version.

Any recs?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I started with Final Fantasy VII. Which to me was one of my all-time favorite games ever done.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

What are you going to be playing on? I ask because that renders me to give you different answers.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

pc, w/ controller. Not sure if I'll like the ff combat system or random encounters. Those seem to be some players issues with the game. I'm willing to give it a try though.

Amazing Member

I'm not sure, are you sure I've played Final Fantasy before, PoorStudent?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Based on my limited experience with the series I would probably go with Final Fantasy VII. Some of the earlier ones are definitely worth checking out, but are rather aggravating for modern players. Excessive level grinding, unclear goals*, and an archaic/unclear save system can create a lot of starting over or uncertainty. As someone who only first played it a year ago VII gets over a lot of those frustrations, or at the very least has enough narrative power to punch through those barriers.

*I mean more on a micro level. You always have some clear narrative objective, but moving forward often requires obtuse actions without any indication. Not even in the context of what is supposed to be a puzzle. Even in VII you could be on a boat, encouraged to explore/talk to everyone on board, and then be hit with an unpassable wall all because you don't think to go back to the uninteresting room you started in.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I started with III or VI depending on how you count. Just an FYI if you don't know, the American and Japanese numbering systems on these games were different depending on the console. What was Final Fantasy III on the Super Nintendo (my first) is considered Final Fantasy VI in other places. Its dated in terms of graphics of a great place to start with a great story.

Ultimate Member

I started with FF 1 way back on the Nintendo and have played many of them, the games aren't as hard to understand and know what to do next as some believe them to be imho...the game with Kefka is fun and got to love a guy that looks like Guile from the Street Fighter games suplexing a ghost train and such...that game had a lot of humor as well...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I started with FF 1 way back on the Nintendo and have played many of them, the games aren't as hard to understand and know what to do next as some believe them to be imho...the game with Kefka is fun and got to love a guy that looks like Guile from the Street Fighter games suplexing a ghost train and such...that game had a lot of humor as well...
    That would be III or VI depending on how you count (see my post right above yours).

Ultimate Member

It's been many years for me, I played the original game back in middle school...which now is about 27 years ago at least...I can still remember the sound of Kefka's laugh, the opera scene, and the personalities that they gave to the characters...

Amazing Member

For PC I'd say VII or VIII. Did IX ever came out for PC? Of that era the best one is probably IX. That one had a very tribute feel for all the older games with the newer stuff from the Playstation era.

Ultimate Member

Well some of the FF games are out on the PlayStation, and then then FF 7 is being upgraded for the PS4 and all...

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Anything up to PS2 can be played on PC via emulator, so that's not much of a bar. I'd put 2 and 3 as easy to get into, good stories, with plenty of memorable characters and scenes.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

General consensus is that 6 or 7 is the BEST in the series and that it seriously started going downhill at either X or X-2.

My personally favorite is 4, or as I originally played it 2 on the Super Nintendo.

VI kind of started moving the series more towards a steampunk/cyberpunk kind of feel with much more complicated stories although 9 had a bit more of a retro feel.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth