Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
The second one-shot was great. I love how Bane is originally all "No one can beat me, I've got Venom!" and then he's like "getting my ass kicked by Az-Bats doesn't count, I was on Venom!" What a whiner.

I love King's interpretation of Bane's time in solitary confinement, but (if memory serves) he kind of shied away from Bane having a vision of his future perfect self and I didn't like the omission if it was intended as a retcon.

I've been trying to figure out how to make the same point but I'm glad you beat me to it because you did it so much better than I could have.

I think it's interesting that in the rush to make villain-centric live action films, Bane hasn't even gotten consideration when his origin is probably best suited to that kind of project.

I thought Conquest was a bit of a chore to read through, with an ending that deserves a much better story than the one it's attached to.
Haha. To be fair, the structure of Bane's story in Knightfall is really weird. He gets beaten by the second stringer, and never really gets a rematch against a Batman as his peak.

I love the feeling King adds to Bane's story. I do think it got a bit weird later on as the story structure changed (poor Bane, being the focus of a major Batman run for a second time, and still getting wiped out by story structure! )

That's a fair reading of Conquest, though I didn't think it was a chore, just kinda middle of the road.