Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Questions about Lanterns:

Hello

I have some questions about Lanterns:

1. Green Lantern:
    Is it possible to seperate the Green Lanterns into Generations?

I think Hal and John are part of the JL Generation
    Kyle more part of the Titans Generation
    Teen Lantern is more or less part of Damians Generation, even she is part of YJ

What about Jessica,Simon,Jade?

2. Powers:
    I know the powers of the Green Lanterns, but I dont really understand the others:

-Blue Lanterns:
    Hope
    They need the presence of a Green Lantern and otherwise they only have the protecting aura or?
    They can heal others and are also able to form constructs, but need also a green Lantern for that or?

-Orange Lanterns:
    Avarice
    They can absorb the constructs of the Green Lanterns and form also constructs..

-Indigo
    Compassion
    Teleportation, heal or inflict pain to people who caused pain to others..
    and it can also use other rings powers

-Red Lantern
    Rage
    Light Constructs,transforms the owners blood

-Yellow Lantern
    Fear
    Light Constructs

-Star Sapphire/Violet:
    Love
    Light Constructs,create crystals to trap other Lanterns,they can resurrect the person who the love,they can teleport themselves
    and are immune to the effects of other lanterns...

Is this "all"?
    I dont know understand Green and Yellow Lanterns are so popular.
    It seems to be that Star Sapphire/Violet and Indigo Lanterns have more powers or?

3. What are Alpha Lanterns and Ultraviolet Lanterns?

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello

I have some questions about Lanterns:

1. Green Lantern:

I think Hal and John are part of the JL Generation
    Kyle more part of the Titans Generation
    Teen Lantern is more or less part of Damians Generation, even she is part of YJ

What about Jessica,Simon,Jade?

2. Powers:
    I know the powers of the Green Lanterns, but I dont really understand the others:

-Blue Lanterns:
    Hope
    They need the presence of a Green Lantern and otherwise they only have the protecting aura or?
    They can heal others and are also able to form constructs, but need also a green Lantern for that or?

-Orange Lanterns:
    Avarice
    They can absorb the constructs of the Green Lanterns and form also constructs..

-Indigo
    Compassion

-Red Lantern
    Rage
    Light Constructs,transforms the owners blood

-Yellow Lantern
    Fear
    Light Constructs

-Star Sapphire/Violet:
    Love
    Light Constructs,create crystals to trap other Lanterns,they can resurrect the person who the love,they can teleport themselves
    and are immune to the effects of other lanterns...

Is this "all"?
    I dont know understand Green and Yellow Lanterns are so popular.
    It seems to be that Star Sapphire/Violet and Indigo Lanterns have more powers or?

I share some of your questions and these too:

Are/can the green Lanterns be subjected to not affecting the color yellow?

How powerful is Alan Scott's ring/powers compared to the GLs of the Corps?
    How powerful is Jade compared to the GL Corps?

Is Power Ring more powerful than other GLs since his ring is powered by Volthoom? It seemed to be in early stories.

Ok I'm try to tackle these off the top of my head, so bear with me.

1. Green Lantern:

if you divvy it up by generations in-universe:

Hal, Guy, and John (in that order age-wise) are part of the Justice League's generation - late 20s to mid 30s

Kyle, Jessica, Simon, and Jade (if she were in continuity) would be Titans/Nightwing generation - early-ish to mid 20s, pushing late 20s

Keli is Damian's generation - early teens

2. Powers:

-Blue Lanterns:
    Hope
    without the ring they can do basic functions like minor healing, purging Red Lanterns, flight, and protection but in the presence of Green Lantern their other abilities can kick in, the boost Green Lantern, they can heal more thoroughly, they can create constructs that induce a feeling of hope and tranquility, etc. their abilities are more support than anything.

-Orange Lanterns:
    Avarice
    Their most unique ability is, because it's usually wielded by one guy, they can summon the constructs of those they kill and that operates as their Corps; basically a one-man army. Plus, because it's one guy, they have access to all of the power of a Lantern Corps without it being divided among other Lantern

-Indigo
    Compassion
    <--you got it

-Red Lantern
    Rage
    Standard Lantern abilities but their unique ability is that their heart gets replaced with their ring and their blood is turned into this boiling hot plasma-like substance that can melt constructs.

-Yellow Lantern
    Fear empowerment, light constructs, etc. pretty standard Lantern abilities

-Star Sapphire/Violet:
    Love
    they have standard lantern powers but they can turn people in Star Sapphires by encasing them in star sapphire crystals, they can teleport themselves and others to those whom they love, and i think in some cases they can resurrect loved ones through sacrifice but i'm not sure

Yellow and Green are considered the "best" corps because they are closest to the middle of the spectrum and therefore the most stable. the further from the center the color, the more volatile they are and the more the Lantern aspect will influence you. Basically, you join the Green Lanterns, Blue Lanterns, and the Sinestro Corps, but the others you are assimilated into.

The Alpha Lanterns are basically internal affairs for the Green Lantern Corps and the Ultraviolet Corps are from the Invisible Emotional Spectrum, a new aspect of the Emotion Spectrum that was only just recently discovered. The UV Lanterns are fueled by hidden and suppressed emotions like shame and guilt and, unless you're like Sinestro who has a suit to help control it, it turns the user into a human power ring down to the cellular level and are under the sway of Umbrax. The UV is still pretty new so it's still kinda nebulously explained right now.

Are/can the green Lanterns be subjected to not affecting the color yellow?
    Not anymore, the Yellow inpurity was a result of the parallax entity infecting their centra power battery, it's been fixed a long time ago

How powerful is Alan Scott's ring/powers compared to the GLs of the Corps?
    he's a little before my time but i believe he's about as powerful if not more so on some occasions than the Corps due to his power being magic-based but he weakness is wood so..there's that. i'm not a huge JSA guy so i could be wrong

How powerful is Jade compared to the GL Corps?
    Extremely, she's basically a human power ring in her own right but she used the Starheart like her father, so she's more magical-based and she can control plants. plus she doesn't have to recharge.

Is Power Ring more powerful than other GLs since his ring is powered by Volthoom? It seemed to be in early stories.
    it's kinda hard to scale GL because they tend to pull miraculous feats out of nowhere in the clutch but Power Ring in and of himself isn't necessarily more powerful because we see when Jessica Cruz used the ring of volthoom she was more or less operated like a standard Green Lantern
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-16-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Retired

When John Stewart first appeared, he was clearly younger than Hal (and Guy). He was the angry, young black man--and Hal was the older voice of reason. There was something we called the Generation Gap back then and Stewart was speaking for the young generation that distrusted the older generation who had ruined the world.

I think the reason Stewart is now seen as about the same age as Jordan and Gardner is because he's been retconned into adventures that would have previously featured Hal, so it seems like he was around in the early days of the Justice League--even though, in publishing history, John didn't come along until twelve years after Hal got the ring.

Thanks, lemonpeace, great answers!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When John Stewart first appeared, he was clearly younger than Hal (and Guy). He was the angry, young black man--and Hal was the older voice of reason. There was something we called the Generation Gap back then and Stewart was speaking for the young generation that distrusted the older generation who had ruined the world.

I think the reason Stewart is now seen as about the same age as Jordan and Gardner is because he's been retconned into adventures that would have previously featured Hal, so it seems like he was around in the early days of the Justice League--even though, in publishing history, John didn't come along until twelve years after Hal got the ring.
    I saw the page, but it's still weird to me to see Hal as the wiser older guy to John because now it seems the other way around. John's the reliable, stable one.

I always wanted Pham to be in Damian's gen but I doubt he's canon. He might be exclusive to Zoom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Yes, John was definitely younger when introduced. But he was retconned younger (or Hal older) a bit later. That "you were 12" comment about him when Hal got his ring and all. And the idea he's Wally's age. When he was introduced, he was a college graduate (architecture, which is now a 5 year program, but unsure about then), and Wally was still in highschool (a senior, since Dick had already graduated, but was still in his very long year of college) and had job-hunted enough without finding a permanent position to be discouraged. I'd have put him 24-26. Or 23-26 if architecture was a four year program then.

Not that Hal hasn't been retconned younger on origin, too, at times. When he started, his younger brother was a college graduate. I had a sense of late 20s myself (at which time Wally would have been 14), but I know in 1964 he was said to have been in military during Korean War (which ended in 1953). So I'd say Hal was 27-32 when he got his ring, at which time John would have been a minimum of 19, and likely 20-22. I think JL/JLU, with its older John, contributes to the perception of him as the same age as Hal, but I also don't think he's nearly as much younger as some perceive him, either. He's kinda like Barbara Gordon, not slotting neatly with the first JLA gen or the subsequent TT gen. Though, I guess, with continuity what it is, it's rather a "pick your version" sort of thing.

All I know about Guy in his earliest appearance was that he was a college graduate (phys ed teacher). I'm not sure how long it was before we got an age reference on him, since he wasn't really around much until late pre-COIE.

Kyle was referenced as not much younger (a couple years?) than Donna when they dated.

I am attempting to use the earliest published age reference for each character, but it's likely I've overlooked something, since I've only read scattered issues of most of them.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure "generations" applies for me except in the silver-age creations (and the golden age stick-arounds that ended up their peers on JLA - Clark, Bruce, Diana, Ollie, etc.) and then those that actually joined teen teams. If they weren't created in the late 50s/early 60s and weren't on a teen team, they don't really have their own generation. I mean, the adults created in the late 60s-through-70s and the adults of the early post-COIE age may be similarly aged to Clark or Wally or anywhere in between, but they are not of that gen to me, they just happen to be the same age. Like Booster is seemingly 21 at the same time as Dick and Donna, but he doesn't get grouped with them to me. Same goes for Kyle.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-16-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Hal had grey temples in his hair like Reed Richards at one point. Got de-aged after he came back to life after his time as the Spectre, I think. That's why he's now a similar age to John.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hal and Guy are the same age and John is much younger than them but because of Kyle, John has been retconned as being older.

3034092-8461296571-tumbl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hal had grey temples in his hair like Reed Richards at one point. Got de-aged after he came back to life after his time as the Spectre, I think. That's why he's now a similar age to John.
    Wrong. They AGED Hal at the beginning vol.3. Johns brought him back to his proper age in Rebirth

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, but that was kind of a retcon all its own, because no one else that was the same age as him aged that much/visibly.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Hal and Guy are the same age and John is much younger than them but because of Kyle, John has been retconned as being older.

3034092-8461296571-tumbl.jpg
    This is itself a retcon - as I've already pointed, out, John was at least 19 when Hal got his ring because of Wally's age at the time. (Wally 14 when Hal got his ring, 17 when college-graduate John showed up as backup lantern - it was only three years later in-universe if you use Wally or Dick's ages).

Also, I'm quite interested in when we first got Guy's age. I know some later references (90s or later), but I'd love to hear about any earlier references.

Wrong. They AGED Hal at the beginning vol.3. Johns brought him back to his proper age in Rebirth
    That's what I was thinking. Kinda like they aged up Ollie and down Dinah in the 1980s (very annoying), though they did at least have a reboot and retcon for those.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-16-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Are the Star Sapphires now more powerful with rings than Carol was as SS?

Star Sapphire only flew, fired energy blasts and occasionally made a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Yeah, but that was kind of a retcon all its own, because no one else that was the same age as him aged that much/visibly.

This is itself a retcon - as I've already pointed, out, John was at least 19 when Hal got his ring because of Wally's age at the time. (Wally 14 when Hal got his ring, 17 when college-graduate John showed up as backup lantern - it was only three years later in-universe if you use Wally or Dick's ages).

Also, I'm quite interested in when we first got Guy's age. I know some later references (90s or later), but I'd love to hear about any earlier references.
    Guy was a college football player turned phys ed teacher while Hal was a former USAF pilot turned private test pilot when they were chosen at the same time. Both were around 25-26 at the time. John was chosen at 17-18 while he was still in college as an architectural student a few years after them
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-16-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Guy was a college football player turned phys ed teacher while Hal was a former USAF pilot turned private test pilot when they were chosen at the same time. Both were around 25-26 at the time. John was chosen at 18 while he was still in college as an architectural student.
    When was that retcon? Because he indicated himself as an architect, not student, when he was chosen. You could read it as him thinking about the future, but that's a real stretch since he's talking about his current employment situation and this is a temp(ish) gig.
    architect.jpg

As I said, in a 1964 issue, Hal was supposed to have been in military in 1953 (11 years prior).

Does anyone know how long a pilot had to commit to the military back then? If they even had to? Did they have to be officers? I know in the 1980s and 1990s, they extended the time in service for those entering pilot's training (who would be officers with college degrees from what I understand). It went up to to 8 years after flight school in second half of 80s, and then 10 years in the early 90s for Air Force? I was looking at this for Hal after thinking on timeslide recently. But in the 1960s and 1970s - no clue.