Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Suit built by his uncle, a NASA scientist; allows him to fly, gives him superhuman strength, gives him a forcefield, lets him shoot energy bolts.
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/red9spdm.htm
    Oh, cool, thanks for that!

I forgot Telemetry, on my list of Initiative kids I'd like to see again. Her powers and practical attitude seemed cool, in the brief No Fear / Initiative crossover that soured me on Gravity, pretty much forever...

Armory also seemed cool, along with Gauntlet. Sort of Marvel's answer to the Witchblade, but less supernatural and more alien adaptable super-tech omni-weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Huh, I did not know that. I guess that's why we haven't seen Sunfire or Silver Samurai, the former of whom was Big Hero Six team leader, IIRC, in a dog's age.
    The ban doesn't apply to them. Sunfire briefly appeared in Avengers, last year. Silver Samurai has been replaced with somebody younger, IIRC.
    Only the 6 heroes who got american-washed in the cartoon have been erased from the comics.

Supermax, one of the very few native american heroes who is not from the X-books.
    He has the power to increase his size.

Edward_Black_Wolf_(Earth-616).jpg
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

hardball.jpg
    Hardball

telemetry.jpg
    Telemetry

violet.jpg
    Armory

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    hardball.jpg
    Hardball

telemetry.jpg
    Telemetry

violet.jpg
    Armory
    Hey! Thanks for these!

I'd gotten the impression that Telemetry's powers were tech-based, but according to the marvel database, they are psionic energy constructs, of an uncertain origin (since she doesn't *seem* to be a mutant).

Regardless, very cool character, and I liked her 'can-do' no-nonsense attitude in her appearance in Fear Itself, where she basically told the alpha males butting heads to get it together and fix the problem, and sort out their crap later. She identified the problem, told them what they had to do to fix it, and got everything set up, while wrangling some world-class egos. Sounds like leader material, to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Hey! Thanks for these!

I'd gotten the impression that Telemetry's powers were tech-based, but according to the marvel database, they are psionic energy constructs, of an uncertain origin (since she doesn't *seem* to be a mutant).
    I read that too! I'd love for her to be revealed as a mutant and show up in the X-Books on Krakoa!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I just recently read Avengers: The Initiative. I've always wondered how it would have been with a different take where it was a weekly series with each issue focusing on a different state (with Alpha and Omega issues). But I love the bureaucratic dystopian feel they ended up with. My idea wouldn't have worked because part of the problem is there weren't enough heroes to go around. But it would have been entirely inconsistent with a very good story.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Even if a national Initiative is over, I wonder if any individual states may decide to have their own state-government-funded (or, possibly more likely, a grant from some super-rich corporation/person) team. That could be worth having be a recurring set of characters.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Even if a national Initiative is over, I wonder if any individual states may decide to have their own state-government-funded (or, possibly more likely, a grant from some super-rich corporation/person) team. That could be worth having be a recurring set of characters.
    I could totally see that. Utah, for instance, independently continuing to support their never-seen all-Mormon team 'The Called,' or whatever.

Always loved the Point Men in concept/membership. I'd totally read a monthly featuring Stingray and Devil-Slayer protecting Hawaii from kaiju and Deviants. Maybe bring in one more established/name character (Andromeda?) to the ranks along with the newer creations, set up Dr. Demonicus as their primary villain, and we are good to go!

Incredible Member

It's never made any sense to me why the United States can't have some type of Govt sponsored super hero force but every other country can.

Britain has MI:13

Russia has Winter Guard

Canda: Alpha flight

China: people's defense force

I'm probably missing some more and I guess Squadron Supreme is occupying that role for now but to me I don't see why you wouldn't use some form of the initiative as America's govt sanctioned super human force.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Always loved the Point Men in concept/membership. I'd totally read a monthly featuring Stingray and Devil-Slayer protecting Hawaii from kaiju and Deviants. Maybe bring in one more established/name character (Andromeda?) to the ranks along with the newer creations, set up Dr. Demonicus as their primary villain, and we are good to go!
    Yeah, a team set in Hawaii could be fun, the setting is so far removed from the bog-standard New York City fare, and could steal some set-pieces from episodes of Magnum, P.I. or Hawaii, Five-Oh. The giant monsters and Deviants (and Doctor Demonicus) are all under-used, as is, so that would be cool.

The Garrison (Vermont Initiative)

The Fin and Man-Eater

Garrison.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    The Garrison (Vermont Initiative)

The Fin and Man-Eater

Garrison.jpg
    when did these characters first appear?

Isn't Vermont land-locked? The Fin seems like he's water-adjacent, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    when did these characters first appear?

Isn't Vermont land-locked? The Fin seems like he's water-adjacent, lol.
    I think they both appeared in Silver Sable & The Wild Pack back in the 90s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    It's never made any sense to me why the United States can't have some type of Govt sponsored super hero force but every other country can.

Britain has MI:13

Russia has Winter Guard

Canda: Alpha flight

China: people's defense force

I'm probably missing some more and I guess Squadron Supreme is occupying that role for now but to me I don't see why you wouldn't use some form of the initiative as America's govt sanctioned super human force.
    The U.S. government did have their own super team for years -- Freedom Force. Also the Avengers have had ties to the U.S. government off and on many times over the years.