Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

So if we were to label Selina would she be more neutral good? She steals for the fun of it. How often does she kill now?

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So if we were to label Selina would she be more neutral good? She steals for the fun of it. How often does she kill now?
    I always saw Catwoman as sort of a “jilted Robin Hood” who can genuinely care for people, such as being the sort of person who would at least steal to help her and her family survive, and that Gotham City being the particularly corrupt society it is jilted her in general, and eventually found solace in stealing in general as a way to push away the uncomfortable feelings of the harsh world.

Extraordinary Member

I think I can only talk about Post-Crisis to now.

Post-Crisis/90’s Gray/Purple Suit Catwoman = Chaotic Neutral to Chaotic Good. Catwoman was primarily a thief who would alternate between stealing for greed/pride and stealing and roughhousing for people she felt sorry for. Batman would pursue her, but the 90’s is the first real time where he seemed to avoid actually trying to capture her and canonically hired her for jobs as well as allying with her on multiple occasions.

00’s/Brubaker Vigilnate Catwoman = Strongly Chaotic Good... verging on Lawful Good when closely aligned with Batman. Pretty much the entire run where she’s explicitly a defender of the East End, she’s solidly a good guy, which irritates some of the usual Rogues Gallery and earnes her some heat from old peers. She tends to still be Chaotic, but she’s willing to work with cops... provided she has an edge over them (The Freak Beat).

10’s/Gotham Sirens/New 52/Rebirth = Chaotic Neutral to Chaotic Good to Lawful Good (Not by choice). She hangs out with Harley and Ivy in the Sirens, but is still allied/involved with Bruce, becomes more of just a thief in New 52, then ends up on the JLA briefly, then back with Bruce.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Brian Stelfreeze cover to BATMAN: SHADOW of the BAT #44.

bsotbCATS.jpg

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

On average of all her appearances, she's Chaotic Neutral. She mostly looks out for herself and thinks of laws like cages. She can ally herself with villains if it keeps her safe and will help Batman the family if defeating the villains keeps her safe or if the villains have gone too far towards people or things she cares about.

I want to say she's Chaotic Good in the Batman family but she still steals her wedding dress so that for me is still Neutral

Spectacular Member

Chaotic Good. She only steals from those who are rich and corrupt and uses it to help her neighborhood. The people she steals from feel like the world owes them everything and step on everyone else so there’s not much wrongdoing on her part. She hates the law but she loves justice.

Slightly off topic but I once compared Selina to Fantine from Les Mis because they’re two sides of the same coin: they both resort to illegal tactics (Burglary and Prostitution, respectively) to help the ones they love while living in a society that’s abandoned them and treated them like trash. There’s a very good reason they’re compared to cats. Cats are treated miserably, easily abandoned, and are seen as weak, much like women are in society. Selina uses a cat costume to mock society for their treatment and uses it against them.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    Chaotic Good. She only steals from those who are rich and corrupt and uses it to help her neighborhood. The people she steals from feel like the world owes them everything and step on everyone else so there’s not much wrongdoing on her part. She hates the law but she loves justice.

Slightly off topic but I once compared Selina to Fantine from Les Mis because they’re two sides of the same coin: they both resort to illegal tactics (Burglary and Prostitution, respectively) to help the ones they love while living in a society that’s abandoned them and treated them like trash. There’s a very good reason they’re compared to cats. Cats are treated miserably, easily abandoned, and are seen as weak, much like women are in society. Selina uses a cat costume to mock society for their treatment and uses it against them.
    I really dig your post but Selina is not a deep thinker or a character who reflects for me. She just likes cats

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I really dig your post but Selina is not a deep thinker or a character who reflects for me. She just likes cats
    Well, that’s my interpretation and I’m standing by it.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    A person does not need to be reflective or analytic in order to have instincts that recognises that society is unfair or weighted against them or certain groups of people.

Now, I agree that the cat costume comes from other factors, but I do think a big part of Selina's motivations is to stick it to "the man".
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Well, that’s my interpretation and I’m standing by it.
    You should and I did not lie when I said I liked the post a lot

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    A person does not need to be reflective or analytic in order to have instincts that recognises that society is unfair or weighted against them or certain groups of people.

Now, I agree that the cat costume comes from other factors, but I do think a big part of Selina's motivations is to stick it to "the man".
    That's why Catwoman is the best when written well

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Slightly off topic but I once compared Selina to Fantine from Les Mis because they’re two sides of the same coin:
    It's appropriate that Anne Hathaway played both roles then.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    It's appropriate that Anne Hathaway played both roles then.
    On the same year, no less. And Hathaway is the definitive portrayal.

BANNED

Somewhat a Harley Quinn version of Young Catwoman

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Harley Quinn stole Catwoman's act. Just upped the outrageousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post

I don't know if it's intentional but I kind of get a young adult Selina vibe.