Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    I get what you’re saying but Italian isn’t a race. That’s like saying Irish is a race. We are not victims of marginalization (insert PC Principal joke here).
    Actually we Italians were called the n-word with the white skin by the US citizens and this strips came from the newspaper "The Mascot" of New Orleans, so I can say we were victims of marginalization.
    Anyway you have totally missed my point.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Actually we Italians were called the n-word with the white skin by the US citizens and this strips came from the newspaper "The Mascot" of New Orleans, so I can say we were victims of marginalization.
    Anyway you have totally missed my point.
    I don’t want this to be a big deal here so I’m gonna end it by saying this:

1) No. Italians used to be marginalized but not anymore.

2) I didn’t miss your point. I get that having issues with a change is far more complex than Twitter wants to admit. I’m just saying, not unlike other characters, her race was never a big part of her character.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-01-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    So when is Catwoman going to be a member of the Justice League? You'd think it would have happened by now.
    I hope not. Catwoman fits far better together with the Birds of Prey with their shared focus on international sleuthing and heisting.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

This was ridiculous. Why is race so important all of a sudden for the character? I can get why Bruce Wayne has to be a WASP. Bill Finger stated that he wanted someone of a very privileged background to feel like he should be the protector of the weak, the people who don’t feel like they need him. Catwoman isn’t tied to any kind of color. Heck, didn’t Frank Miller have her to be African-American in Year One?
    I'm pretty sure she was still white in Year One. The only places she's been black are in adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure she was still white in Year One. The only places she's been black are in adaptations.
    I also assumed Selina was white. But it is subject to interpretations, especially since it is an artistic depiction and not really photo accurate. I could perhaps see her as a light skinned African-American woman
    based on her rather ambiguous facial features and short hair.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I hope not. Catwoman fits far better together with the Birds of Prey with their shared focus on international sleuthing and heisting.
    I can see Batman hiring her for jobs the League might need done under the radar, and this has precedent, but a full-fledged member is probably out of the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    So when is Catwoman going to be a member of the Justice League? You'd think it would have happened by now.
    Grant Morrison snuck Selina in as a surprise “member” of the team when they faced off with Prometheus in JLA#17.
    And she kinda saved the day after Prometheus summarily defeated every other member of the League by getting in his head (pun intended).

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

When do you guys think the 80th issue will be released now? Mid May?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

wasn't she in Justice Leagu of Canada or something ?

Spectacular Member

Well, I just got done reading Brubaker’s run and I can tell you... my life has been a lie. There hasn’t been a single representation of The Cat that’s ever been faithful to this. Even the Arkham games and Nolan’s don’t come close, and those are probably the closest they’ve ever gotten to getting her right. And I know I can’t judge the versions before this run but I don’t think I can see Returns or TAS without ever comparing them to what Brubaker accomplished, especially not Pfeiffer’s, who now I’m beginning to suspect is highly overrated.

I’m hoping for Reeves to finally end the streak and give us the definitive Catwoman on the screen. I’m not a fan of the Zoe Kravitz casting since she’s way too short but let’s hope I’m wrong.
    I take this back. Just rewatch Rises and Hathaway is the definitive Catwoman. Still not a fan of her killing but Hathaway and Nolan really do understand what makes her tick. Cynical yet hopeful. Self-centered yet loving. Loves what she does yet wants a normal life. I haven’t seen the movie in nearly 7 years so I remembered it all wrong.

I take this back. Just rewatch Rises and Hathaway is the definitive Catwoman. Still not a fan of her killing but Hathaway and Nolan really do understand what makes her tick. Cynical yet hopeful. Self-centered yet loving. Loves what she does yet wants a normal life. I haven’t seen the movie in nearly 7 years so I remembered it all wrong.
    I would agree that Anne Hathaway is probably the most comic book accurate version of Catwoman in live action so far. I also feel that Camren Bicondova seemed a fairly accurate version of what Selina Kyle might have been like
    as a young woman. Julie Newmar was also fairly accurate to the 1950s comic book version of Catwoman as the time the show aired other than the costume. Other than the race bending Eartha Kitt also was reasonably accurate.
    Michelle Pfeiffer gave and outstanding performance as a crazy woman wearing a catsuit but bore almost no resemblance to the comic book version of Catwoman. Did she even steal anything?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Catwoman has no race for me but When in Rome says she's Italian iirc

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Catwoman has no race for me but When in Rome says she's Italian iirc
    Supposedly Selina thought she was Carmine Falcone's daughter but even there it isn't really proven one way or the other because the hospital burned down and all the records were destroyed.

Spectacular Member

If she’s going to have a past, she prefers it to be multiple choice.