View Poll Results: When did you first read Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Read COIE as it originally came out

28 50.00%
  • Read COIE collected later on

22 39.29%
  • Didn't read COIE or have some funny answer

6 10.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Read it as it came out as a kid. The era was exciting - new stuff was popping up everywhere, and the sheer scale of COIE was new. It was just...heavy.

But the changes Crisis wrought made the DCU purposefully smaller, and my interest in comics died a year or so later. Came back to a very different, more interesting DCU in the mid-90s.

Incredible Member

Read it in a collected edition years later - had no idea what was going on or who a lot of the people were in it. The only thing i got out of it was to help explain the last issues of grant Morrisons animal man run.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Read it as it came out, and my mind was blown with each issue.
    The wait for #11 and #12 was excruciating. Not because they were late, but because so much was a stake.
    Line wide reboots weren't a thing then, so the disbelief that they'd actually do it was exciting.

Once the series wrapped up, I was the saddest about the loss of the Golden Age trinity and resultingly E2 Robin, Huntress, Power Girl and Fury. I was heavily invested in All Star Squadron and Infinity, Inc so was on pins and needles waiting to see how everything would play out.

The Byrne reboot of Superman and Perez reboot of Wonder Woman were also great fun to see play out.

As someone mentioned, the execution was bumpy over time. The (former) Earth 2 books took too long to acknowledge Crisis even happened, although they did within a few months. The trinity titles and JLA caught up almost immediately. The secondary characters took the hardest hit, and that's where the execution faltered (origins of Donna Troy and Power Girl, and the Hawkman history).

One good thing DC did at the time was quickly publish the History of the DCU graphic novels, which held the new history together at least for a while. (Many have derided DC for not adhering to it's own revised history, but I'd argue this book at least gave them a road map and glued things together for at least a while).
    Nice post. You summed it up nicely and I agree with most everything you said.

I need to read COIE, especially because the French publishers have put out a really great Omnibus of it. I'm just too lazy to have done so yet, but I know the general outline.

Ultimate Member

I read it when it came out, and was blown away with how epic it was.

Only when the dust cleared, did *lots of things* go sour for me, from little weensy stuff like how characters I really loved, like Earth 2 Robin, Helena Wayne and Kole snuffed it, while utter trash like Azrael fluttered through it unscathed, somehow, to bigger things like how it gutted the Earth 2 Justice Society and, especially, Legion of Super-Heroes books / concepts for just, ages, and neither has ever really recovered.

Over the years, just about everything 'big' about Crisis got undone anyway.

Supergirl was back, in various forms, in a couple of years. The 'multiverse' wasn't back, per se, but kludges like Hypertime and AU books kept happening anyway, until, finally, the multiverse was back anyway. Barry Allen finally returned, and Wally West got shoved violently into the nearest closet, only to be dragged out to be violently character assassinated by *another' (Heroes in) Crisis. Interesting new characters like Dr. (Kimiyo) Light or Quantum Queen went a big fat nowhere, and the seemingly big potential development push of Psycho Pirate fizzled out. There were multiple appearances by variations on the Crime Syndicate, the TRUE HEROES OF CRISIS, who went down fighting for their universe, rather than skate off to become refugees on Earth 1 as the *billions* of people on their own worlds died screaming, with no heroes willing to stand with them (looking at you, Captain Marvel and Dr. Fate! Love you guys, but really?).

All in all, the blush of my excitement for this event came off that rose pretty darn hard.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 01-17-2020 at 10:04 AM.

There's no box for "read it afterwards after hunting down the individual issues in comic book stores."

I was a Marvel kid when "Crisis" came out. I could tell it was a big deal and I had a passing knowledge of DC, but I wasn't really interested. Then my older brother picked up "Batman: The Dark Knight" which was amazing of course, but I wondered why Batman was still young in the comics I saw on the racks. And I saw "Legends" and wondered who the heck this Green Lantern was and what happened to the guy who was my favorite on "Superfriends?" That lead to the new Justice League, yada yada.... that lead to buying some DC, then having to go back and find "Crisis."

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    There's no box for "read it afterwards after hunting down the individual issues in comic book stores."

I was a Marvel kid when "Crisis" came out. I could tell it was a big deal and I had a passing knowledge of DC, but I wasn't really interested. Then my older brother picked up "Batman: The Dark Knight" which was amazing of course, but I wondered why Batman was still young in the comics I saw on the racks. And I saw "Legends" and wondered who the heck this Green Lantern was and what happened to the guy who was my favorite on "Superfriends?" That lead to the new Justice League, yada yada.... that lead to buying some DC, then having to go back and find "Crisis."
    The idea was to separate the feeling of seeing what happened month by month vs. reading it when the event had already occurred. I'd put you in the "Read COIE collected late on" group as you seem to be soemone who was looking for what happened as opposed to someone who was following the story issue by issue while it was happening.

Read when it came out.

I had only been reading comics for a few years, so Crisis (and its sister title, Who's Who) was my introduction to all of DC that wasn't currently being published outside of comic shops.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.