Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What did you think of Sandman as a hero?

Sandman for a long time has been a Spider-Man villain, as well as a prominent Fantastic Four villain as part of the Frightful Four. However, there was a period where Sandman went legit and became a superhero. It actually lasted nearly 20 years I think, and during this time he actually had a pretty good stint as a member of the Avengers (as one of the many former villains who were redeemed through the team). While it lasted a long time, the status quo eventually reverted itself when the Wizard used his mind control machine to make him bad again. It was stupid, and insulting, to undo all that character development. It also makes me wonder why no one ever tried to save Sandman from an in-universe standpoint, seeing as how others have been saved in the past.

Overall, it was neat. I sometimes lament that it couldn't stick because I like tangible change in comics when it works.

Thumbs up

I enjoyed him as a hero it was an interesting twist on his character. They could have gotten a lot more mileage out of his new status quo than they did.

Sandman being turned back into a villain was even more of a travesty than Otto reverting to Doc Ock. The reason was stupid and his reversal served no interesting storyline purpose as he's been a non-entity ever since.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I really thing Sandman was better off as a superhero in my opinion. Yes, his powers expanding were interesting in the BND and Big Time eras, but it would've been cool to see him as a hero with it. I do hope Nick Spencer uses Flint in his run, and be able to reference his stint with the Avengers and Wild Pack. I would think him seeing Silver Sable being alive, he'd at least feel something. And it would be cool to see how he'd react to Wizard's brainwashing, to give the dude a good trashing for taking away something he cared about.

He became a hero due to the natural growth of his character.

He reverted back to villainy without any real care paid to why and how.

Give me the more three-dimensional characterization any day, for any character.

-Pav, who dislikes those Byrne issues a lot...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I loved when Paul Jenkins brought that element back in PPSM vol. 2 #22. It really made you feel for Sandman. That element hasn't been explored since then in a major capacity (except for Zdarsky with PPSSM vol. 3 #308-309). So who knows what side Sandman will be on? I just hope that when he comes back, he's a hero or a good guy.

When you do that type of reversion you have to actually give a **** about how the character was while reformed, which Byrne did not. I'd just take a better writer writing a good story about him going back since he's not that interesting as a hero but his kind of absurd powers will always make him an interesting foe to face Spider-Man.

I think Sandman works better as a villain, and I like him better that way............

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I enjoyed him as a hero it was an interesting twist on his character. They could have gotten a lot more mileage out of his new status quo than they did.

Sandman being turned back into a villain was even more of a travesty than Otto reverting to Doc Ock. The reason was stupid and his reversal served no interesting storyline purpose as he's been a non-entity ever since.
    I loved the character befriending and working for the Silver Sable character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post

This is way characters like Sandman should have been loaned out to The X-Men, FF, and Avengers respectively. This would be the only way for the character to evolve instead of making him into a bad guy that has long since played out. Imagine if Sandman was a member of the X-Men.