Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Hickman era appreciation thread

Not too long ago there was a thread essentially saying Hickman's era has been going downhill. Everyone is definitely entitled to their opinions so it was good there was a thread that could reflect those who are disappointed in this era. But I thought I would start a thread with an alternate take: this is the most consistently exciting era for the X-Books for me as a fan in my whole life (or at least since AoA hit when I was 10 years old)

This isn't to say every issue of every book has worked for me. Some series haven't clicked for me yet (I also felt a little lost during Excalibur around issues 9 and 10 though I think Howard's X of Swords issues were very strong. Percy's Wolverine has the character's voice right but the plots have been uninteresting) but I cannot remember the last time I was this excited for New Comic Wednesday every week and that's entirely due to the X-Books.

I know X of Swords' bait and switch vis a vi the sword fighting pissed people off, and I'll admit I was disappointed at first, but I thought the final three chapters were so good that it almost made up for that entirely. After chapter 22 came out I brushed up on some of my Captain Britain and original Excalibur, and then reread all of X of Swords in one sitting and a lot of the problems I had with the event disappeared. As I said in another thread, I think it was cool to see an event springing from Claremont and Davis' work on Excalibur, which was the fourth X-Men Spinoff book ever and created by the patron saint of all things X-Men, and fully incorporating that book's history and vibe into a wide line event. We know that Jordon D. White is a huge Excalibur fan and I think we have to allow that sometimes the personal favorites of the creators involved are going to play a part in what kind of stories they tell. But it was the most additive crossover in sometime. Hickman and Howard basically created a whole new pantheon of characters and realms for other creators to explore going forward. In an age where every creator holds onto original ideas to save them for creator owned books (which I understand entirely) it was wonderful to see creators create a whole new world for future creators to play with. I vastly preferred these new characters to Infinity's The Black Order/Builders/Thane in terms of comparing it to another mid-run Hickman event that attempted to create new antagonists for the heroes.

Long story short, while I don't think any series has been as strong as HoxPox, I honestly wasn't expecting that as HoxPox A) Was in development for years, B) is one of the greatest X-Men stories of all time C) We are still so pointedly in the set-up phase of this story that I never expected year one would produce a classic on that level. I do think chapters 20-22 of X of Swords are nearly as strong a trio of books as we've gotten since HoxPox.

And now with S.W.O.R.D. coming from the brilliant Al Ewing, and the promise that some of the groundwork the first year of books laid down are going to start paying off (Children of the Vault, Nightcrawler's new religion, Nimrod, Kitty's revenge, etc.) I think people might start getting more of the plot advancement and character work that the first year sacrificed in the name of setting up the new status quo.

When Hickman was announced I was so excited, his Fantastic Four run is my favorite run of the 21st century (and I loved a lot of books the last 20 years) and knowing his lifelong love of X-Men rekindled my love of a franchise that had diminished over the last 10 years (and X-Men was my OG book...Uncanny 303 got me into Marvel Comics after only reading Archie's TMNT books). And while his X-Men run hasn't lived up to his FF run yet, the best parts of that run came after he had set up all the pieces in his first year. So I am very pumped for what the future holds.

Honestly the only thing that worries me is I hope the other Marvel books don't step on too many toes as they try to cash in on the success of the X-Line right now. Things like Franklin being not a mutant, the Phoenix nonsense in Avengers, and their somewhat perfunctory appearances in things like King in Black are just not that interesting for me.

Anyway, I've gone on too long, but I just wanted a positive thread to reflect the excitement the last 12+ months of X-Men books have brought me. The series that for good or ill made me a comic book fan is in the best place its been in years in my opinion and I cannot wait for Year 2 / Reign of X

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I just recently got back into comics, and I'm delighted with most of what I'm seeing from Hickman.
    My flag is bacon.

Krakoa has been amazing from the history to the language translations to the building of a whole new mutant culture. Honestly I just can't get enough of it.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Yeah it’s great, and has done SO much for the franchise in such a short time.
    The first year was also going to be abit weaker as writers find their footing and get past setting up all the new status quo.
    X of Swords is probably going to be a better read when you read it all in one.

I can’t wait to see what comes next, I think we’re only still scratching the surface of everything Hickman wants to show. Can’t wait to see where we go next.

Spectacular Member

What are people's favorite parts of HoxPox/ Dawn of X / X of Swords so far?

A few moments that spring to mind in no particular order:

1. The Moira retcon in HoX #2 which is probably my single favorite issue of X-Men in over 25 years
    2. House of X #4 and in particular that moment with Kurt and Logan before their sacrifice.
    3. Kitty making the subtext text finally (the kiss)
    4. Cyclops' big damn hero speech in chapter 20 of X of Swords
    5. Basically all of X of Swords Destruction but in particular "Look up Mutants! Look Up!", the "To Me, My X-Men" splash, and basically just every page of Pepe Larraz's art.
    6. The team-up moves we've gotten with Scott and Magik versus the Brood and Magneto and Iceman/Magma during Empyre
    7. All of X-Men #4
    8. All of Hellions but especially Zeb Wells' diving headfirst into some controversial characters like Maddie, Nanny and Orphan Maker, Empath, etc. and making us care about the characters while also making us laugh

I could go on but curious what else has struck you over hte past year
    Last edited by Hcmarvel; 12-06-2020 at 02:27 AM.

I am definitely glad the Hickman run has happened. There’s been so many improvements already like solving the death thing all the time and making Moira into an even more important character

All-New Member

Hickman era has been the best since Gillen's run.
    every issues of adjectivless x-men has been great (apart from issues 14), Some of the other books have also been great especially hellions.

Only downside is that Hickman is only writing one book, I kinda wish he was writing two like he did during his avengers run.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    What are people's favorite parts of HoxPox/ Dawn of X / X of Swords so far?

A few moments that spring to mind in no particular order:

1. The Moira retcon in HoX #2 which is probably my single favorite issue of X-Men in over 25 years
    2. House of X #4 and in particular that moment with Kurt and Logan before their sacrifice.
    3. Kitty making the subtext text finally (the kiss)
    4. Cyclops' big damn hero speech in chapter 20 of X of Swords
    5. Basically all of X of Swords Destruction but in particular "Look up Mutants! Look Up!", the "To Me, My X-Men" splash, and basically just every page of Pepe Larraz's art.
    6. The team-up moves we've gotten with Scott and Magik versus the Brood and Magneto and Iceman/Magma during Empyre
    7. All of X-Men #4
    8. All of Hellions but especially Zeb Wells' diving headfirst into some controversial characters like Maddie, Nanny and Orphan Maker, Empath, etc. and making us care about the characters while also making us laugh

I could go on but curious what else has struck you over hte past year
    1.) Moira suddenly becoming a HUGE player.
    2.) #4 of HoX - super emotional and the tense feeling we got of the repetition of “No More”
    3.) The Crucible
    4.) Destiny telling Mystique to “bring her back” (I still feel like Cyke will end up wrapped in this)
    5.) The celebration party at the end of HoX/PoX - Just look at what we’ve made
    6.) Cyclops saying he’ll be a hero and do whatever the f* he wants in X of Swords.

Mighty Member

Hickman's runs just reset everything to basically after Chris Claremont's golden run.

After Chris left, it was basically downhill and not much interesting stuff happening, in my opinion anyway.

I didn't find Morrison's run interesting like some people.

However, I wish that they hire more capable artists to draw the X-titles. Except for Marauder's Casselli and X-Force, the art in the other titles aren't as good as Claremont's golden days.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I've been very much enjoying the books I'm following so far (even Excalibur had its moments). While I don't absolutely love (or read) everything in this new Krakoa era this is the most engaging and interesting these characters have been in years. From what I've seen and read, I can even see the interest and appeal in the books I am not reading...this era has something for everyone to enjoy.

I have too many high-point moment and issues to list most of which will certainly be re-iterated by others.
    But yes...
    Those tournament chapters in SoX were the biggest disappointment for me since HoX 01 but...it's not a perfect world, in and out of comics, these things happen and I've been reading comic books long enough to have learned to just "suck it up and move on".

Thankfully, we're moving on to RoX and I couldn't be more excited with what has been teased going forward.

It's been a great X-era so far this X-Men fan.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 12-06-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

A bit old, but it sometimes feels like I'm one of the only people who liked the Fallen Angels mini.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

He brought back Synch and Skin soooo he's great in my book lol
    GrindrStone(D)

I'm enjoying most of what's coming from this run. I love when writers build a new world and explore it, instead of putting characters through adventure after adventure while leading everything to nowhere.

BTW, they've just announced House of X marvel legends.

I don't think I've ever been more fascinated by a run. Much like on his Avengers run and his FF run which personally i had a strong distaste for his multiple wives of black bolt thing mainly because the female perspective wasn't shown with medusa having the same freedom and I'm all about fair first, he has completely expanded the x-universe not by destroying it but my making anything that has ever existed in i viable and accessible while expanding the potential of the greater marvel u. i am deeply impressed. He even managed it in a way that anyone can still jump on and tell a "traditional" x-men story with the mutants having a home to go to when they are done being x-men.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    I'm enjoying most of what's coming from this run. I love when writers build a new world and explore it, instead of putting characters through adventure after adventure while leading everything to nowhere.

BTW, they've just announced House of X marvel legends.
    That line up look white as hell. No offense intended but really hasbro.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/