Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Is that "Superman is coming" and "The only thing that would sell better is if we had Batman" page a roast at DC ?

When he's on his game, Bendis writes some of the best Superman. This is an example of that.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

I don't like the idea he still gets to write for the Planet. I feel like there should be more personal sacrifices to outing himself then just getting fired and then somehow finding a way to still work at the Planet. It feels like Bendis is trying to have his cake, eat it too, at least to me. But I guess he'll still have a day job so he won't be just another Marvel hero in DC spandex.

The characterization and dialogue is totally on-point though.

The no glasses in public thing is really jarring for me.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't like the idea he still gets to write for the Planet. I feel like there should be more personal sacrifices to outing himself then just getting fired and then somehow finding a way to still work at the Planet. It feels like Bendis is trying to have his cake, eat it too, at least to me. But I guess he'll still have a day job so he won't be just another Marvel hero in DC spandex.

Is'nt there some kind of solicitation where daily planet is in pieces? Also, this doesn't contradict with doomsday clock. Does it? This actually makes me feel it lines it up quite nicely.

BANNED

Peter Parker was sued by J Johan Jameson when he outed his secret id. Why can’t Clark be fired for good on this one as this has truly bad idea written all over it if they keep him on staff.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Peter Parker was sued by J Johan Jameson when he outed his secret id. Why can’t Clark be fired for good on this one as this has truly bad idea written all over it if they keep him on staff.
    That happened last time in new52 dcyou. This time clark has a history and strong bond with these people. The framing is different and it's basically a coming out party.

Astonishing Member

I agree that Clark should have been canned for good. The main thing a newspaper has to convey to its readership is trust. Here the Daily Planet has a reporter who for years has been writing stories about Superman without revealing a gross conflict of interest inherent in those stories. People may properly wonder whether all those stories that portrayed Superman as a hero were in fact biased. They may certainly wonder just how much more there is to those stories that "Clark Kent" chose to leave out, because maybe they wouldn't make Superman look so good. Clark should never again be allowed to work as a journalist, on any newspaper (or radio or TV station), regardless of the subject he would be assigned to cover. He's shown himself to be dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That happened last time in new52 dcyou. This time clark has a history and strong bond with these people. The framing is different and it's basically a coming out party.
    I guess that's the main reason it's turning out that way because Bendis wants the identity reveal to be treated more as a resounding positive thing.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I think that is probably why I like this more, Truth wasn't awful but it generally was very sad in a way where it was New52 Clark losing his power, costume, access to the fortress of solitude, and his secret identity not because that it what he wanted to do but because he was getting beaten and blackmailed by villains so that is what New52 Lois decided to do.

This is much more positive with him just deciding yes I will tell the world who I am but I will still be happy and live the life I am currently living. Reading this is a lot more positive and fun then Truth. If it will play out better remains to be seen.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I much prefer the new 52 actually showing legitimate consequences over “ISNT THIS GREAT?? THERE ARE NO DRAWBACKS TO THIS!” take. This seems like kinda boring and overly convenient way to go about it.
    But who says Bendis won’t show some more negative consequences later.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think that is probably why I like this more, Truth wasn't awful but it generally was very sad in a way where it was New52 Clark losing his power, costume, access to the fortress of solitude, and his secret identity not because that it what he wanted to do but because he was getting beaten and blackmailed by villains so that is what New52 Lois decided to do.

This is much more positive with him just deciding yes I will tell the world who I am but I will still be happy and live the life I am currently living. Reading this is a lot more positive and fun then Truth. If it will play out better remains to be seen.
    I'd prefer an outcome that is a little more mixed, but maybe we'll get to see that as it goes along.

I'd prefer an outcome that is a little more mixed, but maybe we'll get to see that as it goes along.
    Oh yeah no doubt there will be some unintended consequences, and in fact apparently that is happening in Action comics with the Legion of Doom and Leviathan attacking metropolis post reveal. I guess what I mean is I suppose I am just happy it was written as more of a character choice and not someone did this for you against your wishes. Plus the fact that he is not completely defeated looking and doesn't have to live in cruddy motels but instead just be slightly happy is kind of a win in my book.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Oh yeah no doubt there will be some unintended consequences, and in fact apparently that is happening in Action comics with the Legion of Doom and Leviathan attacking metropolis post reveal. I guess what I mean is I suppose I am just happy it was written as more of a character choice and not someone did this for you against your wishes. Plus the fact that he is not completely defeated looking and doesn't have to live in cruddy motels but instead just be slightly happy is kind of a win in my book.
    Oh, I'm not expecting the Fallout to be as bad as Truth, I'd just prefer something more bittersweet.

Oh, I'm not expecting the Fallout to be as bad as Truth, I'd just prefer something more bittersweet.
    I mean I kind of get Perry, I sincerely doubt he wants to fire Clark since they consider each other as good friends instead of just as a business relationship. If I wanted to predict any consequences for this is probably he and Lois are gonna be evicted and have to move to the fortress of solitude. I say that because I doubt that any apartment or buildings in metropolis or even a farm property in Kansas would let them live there for fear of property damage on a regular basis or just constant kidnapping and hostage attempts especially of those trying to take Lois now that they know they are married.
    Words to live by.

Been a hardcore Marvel guy for years and this shows readers what I’ve know for a long time. Bendis is one of the best comics writers in the business! This is just brilliant. Everything here is spot on perfect to me.