Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

So since Doomday Clock brought back the Kents, doesn't that mean Clark put them in danger?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    So since Doomday Clock brought back the Kents, doesn't that mean Clark put them in danger?
    It remains to be seen just how much of DDC carries over into current DC continuity. After all, Alfred was alive in DDC. If the Kents were in fact alive now, you would think that surely they would have been among the people with whom we saw Clark holding his pre-reveal discussions.

Yeah, I think time will tell on this one.

Bendis has said he didn't want to spoil Clock, so maybe he's avoided them because of that, and even as recently as #18 the threat of another Clock delay could have been a factor holding him back.

Or maybe he's saving it all for 5G so his run doesn't have this extra transition thrown into it out of nowhere.

Or maybe the Kents are dead and this is just one of several things about Clock that DC won't carry forward (which is my hope, but I doubt is the case because DC doesn't like the same Superman I do).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Aren't the Kents confirmed to have a story in the hero special?
    With the way they're handling it, I doubt this is going to put anyone in danger.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, I think time will tell on this one.

Bendis has said he didn't want to spoil Clock, so maybe he's avoided them because of that, and even as recently as #18 the threat of another Clock delay could have been a factor holding him back.

Or maybe he's saving it all for 5G so his run doesn't have this extra transition thrown into it out of nowhere.

Or maybe the Kents are dead and this is just one of several things about Clock that DC won't carry forward (which is my hope, but I doubt is the case because DC doesn't like the same Superman I do).
    It's not dc's fault people have wierd ideas about Superman. Dc has to conform to that.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I actually really like the Kents being alive but with the caveat that they're not there for Clark to run off to and put a quarter in Jonathan's Cornfed Wisdom Jukebox every time he is at a crossroads. Can't stand when Clark needs to run home and ask what he should do. Using them as a sounding board to get input on his ideas is fine, he loves them and respects their opinions, but I want Clark to solve his own problems and if he must rely on someone else it should be his wife.

Time will tell how Bendis handles them, but I'm glad they're back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That happened last time in new52 dcyou. This time clark has a history and strong bond with these people. The framing is different and it's basically a coming out party.
    Circumstances maybe different, but the results should still have a similar impact as there should be competition newspapers calling out the Daily Planet over this bias news they have put out.
    Sooner or later Clark may have to leave the Planet for their safety.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Circumstances maybe different, but the results should still have a similar impact as there should be competition newspapers calling out the Daily Planet over this bias news they have put out.
    It might still happen. The issue isn't out yet. The earlier issues had perry saying something about fake news.Also,unbiased journalism is very rare. So, others may lodge that criticism. But, wouldn't hold much water.i think clark admission of bias would go over better. Since, its better to admit bias and then present your view. The pen-name explanation really does work.
    Nah! They are already unsafe. That's not much of an issue. They chose that kind of gig, when they walked into the planet.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-20-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

Safety has nothing to do with it. Honesty has everything to do with it. Whenever he wrote about Superman and referred to him in the third person, Clark was deliberately deceiving his editors and, more importantly, his readers. They now know that they should not necessarily trust him. That's pink slip time.

Extraordinary Member

Peter Parker was sued by J Johan Jameson when he outed his secret id. Why can’t Clark be fired for good on this one as this has truly bad idea written all over it if they keep him on staff.
    Probably because Clark is in a different position than Peter is. The Bugle didn't seem to need Peter as much as the Planet needs Clark. Clark's an award-winning journalist. Peter was just a photographer for most of his time at the Bugle. Also, historically, Clark and Perry have actually been friends while J. Jonah and Peter were very much just boss and employee. Although, nowadays, J.J. not only knows Peter is Spider-Man but is actively trying to help him when he can.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I much prefer the new 52 actually showing legitimate consequences over “ISNT THIS GREAT?? THERE ARE NO DRAWBACKS TO THIS!” take. This seems like kinda boring and overly convenient way to go about it.
    But who says Bendis won’t show some more negative consequences later.
    I mean, this is just a preview. There's definitely likely to be negative consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I actually really like the Kents being alive but with the caveat that they're not there for Clark to run off to and put a quarter in Jonathan's Cornfed Wisdom Jukebox every time he is at a crossroads. Can't stand when Clark needs to run home and ask what he should do. Using them as a sounding board to get input on his ideas is fine, he loves them and respects their opinions, but I want Clark to solve his own problems and if he must rely on someone else it should be his wife.

Time will tell how Bendis handles them, but I'm glad they're back.
    I'm eager to see them hang out with Jon, but I wish we could've seen them with kid Jon.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm eager to see them hang out with Jon, but I wish we could've seen them with kid Jon.
    They're retconned in so there's always the chance of flashback stories to their interactions. I expect we'll see that in some of those holiday books if nothing else.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see some flashbacks. Assuming the Kents are back in continuity (and Clock isn't enough to convince me they are, now that Johns isn't as influential as he was), we almost have to see at least a little bit of them and how they reacted to certain events.

Hell, 5G probably means new origin retellings, so we'll probably get a scene of the Kents with young Jon somewhere in there, if nowhere else.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see some flashbacks. Assuming the Kents are back in continuity (and Clock isn't enough to convince me they are, now that Johns isn't as influential as he was), we almost have to see at least a little bit of them and how they reacted to certain events.

Hell, 5G probably means new origin retellings, so we'll probably get a scene of the Kents with young Jon somewhere in there, if nowhere else.
    Now that I think about it, 5G would make the Kents being alive even more improbable given how they've dated Superman's appearance.

Wow.

I still don't see how this lasts, long term, but... every panel was perfect.

I'm on board. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

And given how closely I follow certain politics and political journalism and how absolutely abysmal a lot of the field is across the spectrum (imo) right now, I'm with Perry - Clark/Superman is, even with all the deception/etc, still head and shoulders above a lot of the field. He's not at the top of it, anymore, but nowhere near the bottom. Which, I grant you, says more about journalism, but still.

Not to mention the ratings and sales of the paper now!
    Last edited by JAK; 01-21-2020 at 04:38 AM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/