Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Heard so many mixed reports on Bendis' Superman.

Still not pleased with how he fumbled The Sentry over at Marvel. That still smarts.

The preview panels seem decent though, so I am torn over splurging on the trades and catching up. Advice?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post

Still not pleased with how he fumbled The Sentry over at Marvel. That still smarts.

The preview panels seem decent though, so I am torn over splurging on the trades and catching up. Advice?
    Depends what you want out of your Superman. The first arcs are really different in approach and tone. Superman is more big sci-fi action and Action is more of a Metropolis book. They slowly meet in the middle at their runs continue and it's all pretty action heavy now.

Lol unfortunately Bendis is still controversial as always. However I will say this: I think his Superman work is definitely some of his best work in ages, at least on par with his last Defenders run. It’s heads and shoulders above his awful Iron Man/GotG runs and his mediocre X-Men/Post-SW Miles Morales USM runs. About equal with his post Ultimatum Peter/pre-dead mom Miles USM runs, so not quite up there with his Daredevil and USM with Bagley run. If you didn’t like his Man of Steel mini I’d recommend his Action Comics run which I think is legitimately great street level Superman stuff.

I think it’s one of Superman’s worst runs. Only read if you’re okay with every character being unlikeable morons.

Fantastic Member

Thanks for the feedback of all hues.

It is bonus month at work so I may grab at least the first Superman trade.

Is Action a prerequisite or is it one of those either\and\or situations? Jeez. You can tell how long it has been since I read current stories...

Another thought: one of the things I'm happiest about with this is it takes care of the "Lois is married to Clark but seeing Superman" mess. Glad that's over.

Seeing the two of them together and their banter is so much fun, too.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Thanks for the feedback of all hues.

It is bonus month at work so I may grab at least the first Superman trade.

Is Action a prerequisite or is it one of those either\and\or situations? Jeez. You can tell how long it has been since I read current stories...
    Action and Superman are separate for the most part, although both deal with plot threads set up in Bendis’ Man of Steel mini

Depends on what you like and how you view Superman. Some people love this run, some hate it. I think it's hard to argue its Bendis' best work in years, but if the story itself doesn't work for you then it doesn't matter how well put together it is.

Superman is the big cosmic book and has been dealing with things like secret conspiracies between alien races and Clark's son Jon. Action is centered more on Metropolis, the people who live there, and organized crime. I think generally speaking Action has been the stronger, better written book, but depending on what you want out of your Superman both, neither, or either could be what you want.

Since opinions here are so varied and informed by personal taste, I suggest you read some good reviews and look for some previews. See what you think from those and buy accordingly.

If you're looking for Superman stuff to read I also highly, highly recommend the miniseries Superman Smashes the Klan. Ever hear about the famous radio show where Superman went up against the KKK? This is a re-telling of that story; Golden Age Superman, set in the past, and written by Gene Yang. 2 issues out of 3 are out now, and as far as I am concerned this is All-Star Superman quality; impeccably written, really fun art, and quite smart. Bendis, in my opinion, has done right by Superman (more or less) but anyone who doesn't love Smashes the Klan just.....has no soul, or something!
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-21-2020 at 06:41 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Chiming in to also recommend Superman Smashes the Klan. Probably the strongest Superman product DC is putting out right now and arguably for a while.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I would also recommend superman up in the sky by tom king. Its great in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Probably because Clark is in a different position than Peter is. The Bugle didn't seem to need Peter as much as the Planet needs Clark. Clark's an award-winning journalist. Peter was just a photographer for most of his time at the Bugle. Also, historically, Clark and Perry have actually been friends while J. Jonah and Peter were very much just boss and employee. Although, nowadays, J.J. not only knows Peter is Spider-Man but is actively trying to help him when he can.
    Well, they're family now. Peter's Aunt May married Jonah's father, so they're now cousins - and more like brothers in fact, since May is like a Mom to Peter.

I assume Bendis knows how Justice League Odyssey ends, as the entire original team showed up at the Hall of Justice.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-22-2020 at 07:10 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Chiming in to also recommend Superman Smashes the Klan. Probably the strongest Superman product DC is putting out right now and arguably for a while.
    Chiming in to third this.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ok, this is a little off topic. People are shitting on trinity for having harley on the league, while they threw wally in jail. Also, they are saying jason has a bigger heart for forgiving wally than trinity. I more or less agree,Seeing as roy was his friend .The so called trinity can be hypocrites with their holier than thou nonsense.

If wally really is presumed dead. The trinity has lots of explaining to do. Seeing as they promised wally's safety when they took him to sanctuary , especially superman and wonder woman . Him being sent to a prison with his own rogues was stupid.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-28-2020 at 09:35 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

So then no one remembers the time Dan Jurgens wrote and drew Superman's two best pals, Harley and Deathstroke, showing up to celebrate him back in Action Comics 1000?

But seriously, these are basically the same thing. Like Action Comics 1000, Superman 19 is in its way a millstone issue, and that page is just DC stepping out of the story for a moment and celebrating the occasion with what is basically a wallpaper, and that happens to include one of their most popular IPs.

Last edited by Superlad93; 01-28-2020 at 10:07 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So then no one remembers the time Dan Jurgens wrote and drew Superman's two best pals, Harley and Deathstroke, showing up to celebrate him back in Action Comics 1000?

But seriously, these are basically the same thing. Like Action Comics 1000, Superman 19 is in its way a millstone issue, and that page is just DC stepping out of the story for a moment and celebrating the occasion with what is basically a wallpaper, and that happens to include one of their most popular IPs.

People aren't mad that harley is there. But, the way its done considering context of the continuity and larger shared universe.
    Then(that time) , a guy who put blood and sweat into being a hero and the flash wasn't being trialed for murder. I am ok with superman not considering himself better than his villains or being modest and treating them with compassion . Here, he doesn't extend the same courtesy to others. He even comes of as a bigger hypocrite because the titans are in this state because of the jl coming in and disbanding them. Clark was front and center in that. Even though, he was playing the mediater he still chose the other side.

Also as said, clark took wally's full responsibility. His safety was in his hands, especially considering wally's mental state. You can say wally didn't want Clark's help. But, still when has that stopped clark from having someone's back. Especially, when they are powerless. He didn't. That's why he is being called out. Considering, aside from his immediate friends Clark was wally's biggest friend/mentor figure in rebirth .it comes of as a bigger betrayal. That's why clark gets his ass kicked everytime and get's blamed. Suffice to say he screwed up. Not the first time,but he did.if you take the father figure role to the superhero community,i. E if he is written as father figure to the community. Then it comes with responsibility and it should be written to feel like it.Clark hasn't been shown to have any remorse with what happened with wally. That's just bad writing. There was that moment with bruce after donna was punching superman . But, still nowhere near good enough . Superman has been climbing up the rank in the shitty father list.
    This isn’t a knock on bendis. But, larger editorial vision for the universe . Putting harley there was bad move.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-29-2020 at 09:44 AM.