Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Make Up a Marvel "Latin :League"

The other day I was thinking about how, during Priest's run on BLACK PANTHER, he managed to work most of Marvel's black heroes into his stories.

To my knowledge this has never been done at any company with respect to Latino/Latina characters, though there have been more than a few writers and artists who belong to that linguistic/cultural matrix. I would guess that if indeed it's never been done, it's because being "Latino/Latina" is more a matter of said matrix, rather than being a matter of a specific phenotype.

So who would be in a Marvel "Latin League?" I'd put in El Aguila and Sunspot to start.

America
    Velocidad
    Rictor
    Shark Girl

Are there enough characters?

Hoping it never happens cause they will force America into it and make her the main character.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

Ultimate Member

Oh gosh, there's tons. You could make an all-mutant 'Latin League' if you wanted...

El Aguila
    Defensor (dead?)

Sunspot
    Magma / Amara (not sure if she counts, she's from South America, but who knows if she's originally of Italian stock or not...)
    Empath / Manuel de la Rocha
    Darwin
    Skin (dead)
    Goldballs
    Cecelia Reyes
    Rictor
    Wind Dancer (depowered currently)
    Velocidad
    Risque

Ghost Rider/Reyes
    Satana
    Silverclaw
    El Toro
    Firebird
    Living Lightning
    Reptil
    Spider-Girl/Arana/Anya Corazon
    Spider-Man/Miles Morales
    America Chavez
    Echo/Ronin/Maya Lopez
    Victor la Mancha
    Power Man/Victor Alvarez
    Poison
    White Tiger/Ava Ayala (currently depowered)
    White Tiger/Angela del Toro (currently depowered)

I'd love to see more of Aya Ayala/White Tiger and Wind-Dancer repowered, along with Living Lightning, Reptil, Sunspot, Goldballs, Cecelia Reyes and Spider-Girl/Arana.

There are others I'm sure I'm forgetting, or less sure about, like Wraith (Hector Mendoza?) and maybe Microbe, or the Cortez siblings, or Carmella Unuscione, or her half-brother Radius, or la Bandera (who I think is also dead, and I only know from her Marvel RPG stats in an old issue of Dragon magazine)?

Some of them are kind of cheating. Victor la Mancha is a robot, but grew up thinking he was a Latino human, so I'm fine with him, but America grew up in another dimension full of super-ladies and, AFAIK, no concept of ethnic groups, so I'm not sure she really 'counts' any more than Martian Manhunter shapechanging into a black man 'counts' as African-American representation. Same with Amara/Magma, growing up in Nova Roma, thinking of herself as part of a lost Roman outpost, doesn't really scream 'the latino experience' to me. (But what do I know?)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 01-24-2018 at 12:43 PM.

The Avengers Affiliates from an issue of Red Hulk would make a good team
    Silverclaw
    Living Lightning
    Junta
    el Toro
    Velocidad

You also have Spectro from Silk and Hummingbird from New Warriors ans Scarlet Spider.

You would have to include arana, I miss her

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post

So who would be in a Marvel "Latin League?" I'd put in El Aguila and Sunspot to start.
    I came up w. this premise a few months back.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Oh gosh, there's tons. You could make an all-mutant 'Latin League' if you wanted...

El Aguila
    Defensor (dead?)

Sunspot
    Magma / Amara (not sure if she counts, she's from South America, but who knows if she's originally of Italian stock or not...)
    Empath / Manuel de la Rocha
    Darwin
    Skin (dead)
    Goldballs
    Cecelia Reyes
    Rictor
    Wind Dancer (depowered currently)
    Velocidad
    Risque

Ghost Rider/Reyes
    Satana
    Silverclaw
    El Toro
    Firebird
    Living Lightning
    Reptil
    Spider-Girl/Arana/Anya Corazon
    Spider-Man/Miles Morales
    America Chavez
    Echo/Ronin/Maya Lopez
    Victor la Mancha
    Power Man/Victor Alvarez
    Poison
    White Tiger/Ava Ayala (currently depowered)
    White Tiger/Angela del Toro (currently depowered)

I'd love to see more of Aya Ayala/White Tiger and Wind-Dancer repowered, along with Living Lightning, Reptil, Sunspot, Goldballs, Cecelia Reyes and Spider-Girl/Arana.

There are others I'm sure I'm forgetting, or less sure about, like Wraith (Hector Mendoza?) and maybe Microbe, or the Cortez siblings, or Carmella Unuscione, or her half-brother Radius, or la Bandera (who I think is also dead, and I only know from her Marvel RPG stats in an old issue of Dragon magazine)?

Some of them are kind of cheating. Victor la Mancha is a robot, but grew up thinking he was a Latino human, so I'm fine with him, but America grew up in another dimension full of super-ladies and, AFAIK, no concept of ethnic groups, so I'm not sure she really 'counts' any more than Martian Manhunter shapechanging into a black man 'counts' as African-American representation. Same with Amara/Magma, growing up in Nova Roma, thinking of herself as part of a lost Roman outpost, doesn't really scream 'the latino experience' to me. (But what do I know?)
    I suspect there are even more characters than this. It wouldn't shock me if there are some characters out there that we don't know are actually Latinx, even though artistically they look anything but.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I suspect there are even more characters than this. It wouldn't shock me if there are some characters out there that we don't know are actually Latinx, even though artistically they look anything but.
    Yeah, but, really, there are so many that I like already, that I'd be happy to see more of them.

Sunspot, Empath, Wind-Dancer, Goldballs, Cecelia Reyes and Rictor are some of my mutant side faves, and Anya Corazon, America Chavez, Living Lightning, Reptil and Ava Ayala, on the non-mutant side of things.

Of them, Rictor, Empath and Sunspot have roles in X-titles, but the rest, kind of on hold, at the moment. No non-mutant Latinos to be seen, I guess. (I really thought Reptil was going places. Such a cool power! What Calvin wouldn't give to be able to turn into a T-Rex!)

Definitely not a great time for Latinas, mutant or otherwise, at Marvel, this season. Wind-Dancer and the White Tigers are depowered, America, Anya, Cecelia Reyes, Silverclaw and Firebird are off-screen. La Bandera is still dead.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 06-20-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Here's my team, which admittedly has no real rhyme or reason other than I like these characters:

El Aguila
    Allegra
    MAC
    Helix
    Risque
    La Lunatica
    Ghost Rider
    Cadena
    Medico Mystico
    Akasha Martinez
    Velocidad (who probably takes a young protege when he's older and calls her/him Kid Velocidad)
    Firebird
    White Tiger
    El Toro

Ultimate Member

Here's my team, which admittedly has no real rhyme or reason other than I like these characters:

El Aguila
    Allegra
    MAC
    Helix
    Risque
    La Lunatica
    Ghost Rider
    Cadena
    Medico Mystico
    Akasha Martinez
    Velocidad (who probably takes a young protege when he's older and calls her/him Kid Velocidad)
    Firebird
    White Tiger
    El Toro
    Oh my, La Lunatica? So great! (And why not, last I recall, they burned down the 2099 setting on the way out the door anyway, so might as well salvage the coolest characters from it!)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 06-21-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Oh my, La Lunatica? I'm in heaven! (And why not, last I recall, they burned down the 2099 setting on the way out the door anyway, so might as well salvage the coolest characters from it!)
    Love this character. My only concern is that they'd push her as a Harley Quinn clone. But if it was up to me, I'd definitely bring her to the 616, guest appearances with Spider-Man, Daredevil, Hulk, Punisher, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, etc., then give her a limited series run. From there, skies the limit.

BANNED

Technically America Chavez has no biological roots in Latin America -- in fact she not even human.

Love this character. My only concern is that they'd push her as a Harley Quinn clone. But if it was up to me, I'd definitely bring her to the 616, guest appearances with Spider-Man, Daredevil, Hulk, Punisher, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, etc., then give her a limited series run. From there, skies the limit.
    That’s prob. how’d she end up getting the Quinn push.