Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Agree or disagree with some of these choices:

https://www.cbr.com/dc-best-worst-costume-changes-dcu/

Worst:
    5. 1990s Alan Scott
    4. 1970s Legion of Super Heroes (yes, the Dave Cockrum ones)
    3. 1980s Black Canary
    2. Modern Batgirl
    1. New 52 Superman

Best:
    5. 1960s Batman
    4. 1980s Legion of Super Heroes
    3. Modern Wally West
    2. Modern Black Lightning
    1. Modern Nightwing
    The only one I firmly disagree with is 1990's Alan Scott. The late 200's Alan Scott ("look, I'm a human lantern complete with a handle") was by far more hideous.

On the fence about nu52 Superman. Honestly, I got used to the missing trunks...and now that they're back I don't care for them. I didn't like the armor element of the nu52, and just thought they should have made his pants a shade or 2 darker to break up the continuous blueberry look.

I'd also argue Donna Troy's first Troia costume (by Perez) was pretty bad. Looked like a clown vomited all over the stars look. The later streamlined versions worked a lot better.

It doesn't surprise me to see Dinah on that list. I love the character, but that costume is awful imo. XD

Even Dinah burned it and wanted to see it gone. Haha.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I'd also argue Donna Troy's first Troia costume (by Perez) was pretty bad. Looked like a clown vomited all over the stars look. The later streamlined versions worked a lot better.
    Agree with this. I didn't care for several of Perez's looks. His Jericho was downright hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Nu52 Power Girl "P" costume. A subtle combination of vomit inducing with simple terribleness. Designed by editorial committee to blind and horrify readers.
    ^^^I hated that design so much I think I erased it from my memory; I’d totally forgotten it till just now.

One I actually didn’t hate but many did, Wonder Woman’s pants/jacket look. Yeah, it seemed she raided 90s Superboy’s closet but I thought she looked sharp.

Last edited by Riv86672; 01-17-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Agree with this. I didn't care for several of Perez's looks. His Jericho was downright hideous.

It's definitely of it's time. Not long before he was killed off, they updated his look by giving him longer hair and having him shave off the muttonchops. But the actual costume remained the same until he died. I assume he changed his look when he was resurrected?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's definitely of it's time. Not long before he was killed off, they updated his look by giving him longer hair and having him shave off the muttonchops. But the actual costume remained the same until he died. I assume he changed his look when he was resurrected?
    Yeah.

I actually like this redesign...:

BANNED

Jericho costume was slighty altered before he died. Then there's his return to life costume, and rebirth costume.

BANNED

jerichofeature.jpg

78 billion chars.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    5. 1990s Alan Scott
    4. 1970s Legion of Super Heroes (yes, the Dave Cockrum ones)
    3. 1980s Black Canary
    2. Modern Batgirl
    1. New 52 Superman

None of those are bad.
    Second this

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    But, he was Kid Flash. He should be proud of that! Plus, the KF outfit (especially under Perez) was one of, if not the most visually exciting speedster costumes next to Jay Garrick’s. The top/bottom contrasting color scheme and open lightning insignia on both just pop on those designs.

Agree w. you on Batgirl 100 percent.

Agree. He should never be ashamed of that original costume... and it's still my favorite speedster costume. The new version in all red could have used a bit more contrast... but on the whole I love where they were going with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    I pretty much agree with everything on there except Wally. Not only was Wally's '90s costume his best look, it was the best Flash costume period.
    Disagree. I always hated Wally's Flash Costume. Barry wore it better. I liked it much better the simpler it was. the white eyes and the shiny material... just never did anything for me. It was just derivative of the classic suit... upgraded to the point it lost it charm... and yet not upgraded enough to keep it fresh. Despite all his time as the flash and all his achievements... that suit always reminded he was a replacement flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    As always, I roll my eyes at the idea that removing that ugly red underpants on the outside is somehow worse for Superman than wearing it. Different sensibilities and all that, but the New 52 outfit, is still, by far, my favorite.
    I've always been a fan of the trunks. But even despite that issue... I couldn't stand the visual of Superman wearing armor. All those plates and busy lines just ruined any chance the new52 had for me.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    The only one I firmly disagree with is 1990's Alan Scott. The late 200's Alan Scott ("look, I'm a human lantern complete with a handle") was by far more hideous.
    Agreed.

I loved Alan Scott's original costume... but when they did revamp it to make him younger and tie him in with the corps more... I actually DID like what happened....

Green_Lantern_Corps_Quarterly_Vol_1_6.jpg

Then they decided NO more Green Lanterns and went with Sentinel… and it was 'okay'.

They lose the old school Golden Age charm that just works with Alan... but the lines are clean and it's definitely superheroey style that I love.

But seriously... what were they THINKING with this?!!??

That thing makes my eyes bleed...

I'm quite shocked that Electric Superman didn't end up on the list though. That's always been a well documented 'terrible costume change'.

Astonishing Member

There were some cheats in this list. If it's a list of the best and worst costume changes, then the "new" costume should only be compared to the one it replaced. Nightwing costume 3 shouldn't be compared to Nightwing costume 1, because that's not the one it replaced.

Completely disagree about Alan Scott. The 1990s suit is a stronger design. The original is horrendous mishmash of clashing colours and design elements that don't mesh. The Sentinel suit kept all the most recognisable elements of the original design, but tidied it up. Nothing particularly inspired, but respectful to the character. (Not that I'd have actually have changed the suit. The Justice Society characters are kept around as representatives of DC's early years, so keeping the ugly original costume is more on-brand. But he probably wouldn't have gotten a solo series in the '90s looking that that, so I can see why they did it.)

Come to think of it, does it have to be the same civilian identity to qualify? The Silver Age versions of Green Lantern, Flash, Blue Beetle and Atom all had significantly better costumes than their Golden Age predecessors.

Under BEST I'd include the yellow Kid Flash suit. It was dumb when Flash and Kid Flash wore the same suit, which looked better on an adult figure. But the yellow Kid Flash costume was really slick and still holds up today.

Under WORST I'd put every time Zatanna got away from the classic stage magician and fishnet stockings aesthetic. The one with the leather pants and corset was pretty bad. Along the same lines, New 52 Harley Quinn was a massive downgrade from the original. Also the first New 52 Jay Garrick costume and the DCYOU Barry Allen Flash costume.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm quite shocked that Electric Superman didn't end up on the list though. That's always been a well documented 'terrible costume change'.
    It's an odd one. It's a very bad fit for Superman. But it was a good fit for Superman's new powerset. But that powerset was a bad fit for Superman. But the weirdness was the selling point of the story. But it was a bad idea for a Superman story.

In isolation it's a cool design.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agree. He should never be ashamed of that original costume... and it's still my favorite speedster costume. The new version in all red could have used a bit more contrast... but on the whole I love where they were going with it.

Disagree. I always hated Wally's Flash Costume. Barry wore it better. I liked it much better the simpler it was. the white eyes and the shiny material... just never did anything for me. It was just derivative of the classic suit... upgraded to the point it lost it charm... and yet not upgraded enough to keep it fresh. Despite all his time as the flash and all his achievements... that suit always reminded he was a replacement flash.

I've always been a fan of the trunks. But even despite that issue... I couldn't stand the visual of Superman wearing armor. All those plates and busy lines just ruined any chance the new52 had for me.

Agreed.

I loved Alan Scott's original costume... but when they did revamp it to make him younger and tie him in with the corps more... I actually DID like what happened....

Green_Lantern_Corps_Quarterly_Vol_1_6.jpg

Then they decided NO more Green Lanterns and went with Sentinel… and it was 'okay'.

They lose the old school Golden Age charm that just works with Alan... but the lines are clean and it's definitely superheroey style that I love.

But seriously... what were they THINKING with this?!!??

That thing makes my eyes bleed...

Jay: Hey Alan you know that thing you use to charge your ring, why don’t you start wearing it

Bet you Black Adam crammed him into it

I think all the costumes listed are fine, tbh. Well maybe the Canary example went too plain for my tastes. But other than that the whole list is a big hubub about nothing. For what they were doing at the time Alan Scott looked cool. N52 Superman suit as fine and remains today highly exaggerated in its hideousness overall. It had design deficiencies and wasn't a perfect, and definitely needed to evolve if it had more time, but as a base there was something to work with. Also getting rid of the trunks had zero negative effect. 70s aesthetic for the Legion IN the 70s was no big deal, etc. etc. Overall just another typically silly CBR list.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-18-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think all the costumes listed are fine, tbh. Well maybe the Canary example went too plain for my tastes. But other than that the whole list is a big hubub about nothing. For what they were doing at the time Alan Scott looked cool. N52 Superman suit as fine and remains today highly exaggerated in its hideousness overall. It had design deficiencies and wasn't a perfect, and definitely needed to evolve if it had more time, but as a base there was something to work with. Also getting rid of the trunks had zero negative effect. 70s aesthetic for the Legion IN the 70s was no big deal, etc. etc. Overall just another typically silly CBR list.
    Heh. I have to say I agree with you here. There are certainly far, far worse costumes than the ones listed, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Honestly, I don't think Nightwing deserves to be on the list. That first disco costume didn't age very well... but his modern one is really kind of boring. Say what you want about disco era, but it looks like something that a circus performer might wear. Someone not afraid to draw attention and stand out in a crowd... the modern one, (and I count all the moderns since his solo started) is just... dull. all black with a couple blue stripes, I actually like it a lot better since they added a 'head' to the bird wings... because prior to that his name didn't even fit in with the costume.

I mean, it's good enough, and it works... but i'd hardly call it one of the best upgrades ever.

Certainly doesn't beat the Robin upgrade that Tim Drake had.

I never even hated the original costume the way most people do... but I still love the Tim costume a lot more.