Page 49 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ISnowNothin View Post
    Again, from the press release that accompanied this video... (...)
    Well thanks for the correction.
    In that case it seems even less interesting to me, looking at that massive list of young mutants characters left unusued. But again who knows. Maybe it works.

Quote Originally Posted by ISnowNothin View Post
    He's back, resurrected as of House of X 05, listed alongside Synch as a potential replacement for members of the Five if anything happened to one of them, which would seem to un-retcon the un-retconning, or, re-retcon him back to being a latent Mutant who's X-Gene had been activated by his father's machine.
    Once again a detail i missed.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    In that case it seems even less interesting to me, looking at that massive list of young mutants characters left unusued. But again who knows. Maybe it works.

No problem! Not a lot of people have caught that detail in the press release, so it's still a common belief they're not Mutants, and who knows, it could prove false, or misleading, but it did come from Marvel PR, so I'm talking it at face value for the time being.

And Mimic's data page resurrection was quick and easy to miss. ‪‪I just hope to see Calvin on panel on Krakoa soon and not just as a text notation!

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

There are always going to be unused characters - that logic has the result of never create anything new, ever as the inevitable end result. Curiously, it looks like there's going to be a new character or two appearing with the Juggernaught, although you'd be forgiven for missing that since there isn't post after post decrying the comic for having having them when other pre-existing characters are lying around. Or even one post.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    There are always going to be unused characters - that logic has the result of never create anything new, ever as the inevitable end result.
    The problem, at least for me, in this particular case is that the X-men writers have flooded the franchise with new "next gen" X-men teams the last two decades to a massive degree. Each time they did it, they seem to expect people to care about these characters and give them the chance to be the next big thing in the franchise and be around for a long time. But the results appear increasingly dimishing.

So the issue for me, isn't them introducing new characters, which is entirely fine, but that it seems they are trying to force these new characters into the spotlight as yet another "big thing" for the X-men to stick around for a long time, despite the massive failure rate over the recent years for exactly that approach.
    They are essentialy pouring a bucket full of water, on a pot which is allready full to the brim, plus the pot is swimming in the puddle of the previous attempts.

It's that particular combination of "brand new team for a new audience", which is gamble on iteself, combined with a franchise which had been oversaturated with such attempts by now, especialy with the characters from that approach constantly present.

It's noticable to me that new characters actualy have a better chance at sticking around in established series, when they are introduced as side or supporting cast, which might also be why nobody is bothered by the idea of Juggernaut gaining two new allies. Nobody expect them to be the next big thing, which gives them the benefit of a doubt.

But that's just my personal point of view and you are free to find it overly negative.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

I watched the video.....and this is basically a pointless book to read. Based on the sales pitch, that is the trailer, this title will provide little more than what previous next-gen X-Kids books did.

This is a major reason why the comic book industry is dying. Because these IPs always have to revert back to status quo, any growth via these new generations eventually gets tossed aside to make way for another generation for more recent audiences. Or because the new author wants their own toys.

NXM was the last one that was successful, yet they refuse to push them. You need to push things that will retain audiences during this time of failure for the industry, and stop spending money on so many unnecessary ancillary books with no backing.

This, IMO, should've been like a monthly manga: Hickman and 1-2 artists giving us a 40-50 issue every month, and that's it. Doing different stories and trickling in worldbuilding. Basically quality over quantity. That needs to be the new reality; the days of have 30-50 different titles is/should be over.

Instead we get the next log for the fire that is this industry.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 03-22-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    I watched the video.....and this is basically a pointless book to read. Based on the sales pitch, that is the trailer, this title will provide little more than what previous next-gen X-Kids books did.

This is a major reason why the comic book industry is dying. Because these IPs always have to revert back to status quo, any growth via these new generations eventually gets tossed aside to make way for another generation for more recent audiences. Or because the new author wants their own toys.

NXM was the last one that was successful, yet they refuse to push them. You need to push things that will retain audiences during this time of failure for the industry, and stop spending money on so many unnecessary ancillary books with no backing.

This, IMO, should've been like a monthly manga: Hickman and 1-2 artists giving us a 40-50 issue every month, and that's it. Doing different stories and trickling in worldbuilding. Basically quality over quantity. That needs to be the new reality; the days of have 30-50 different titles is/should be over.
    As long as the issues are colored and not black&white it'd be cool with me lol.
    Gah! I don't see how people read those. Makes me sick.
    GrindrStone(D)

I stated elsewhere what's wrong with COTA, and I'll just reiterate them here.

There were already people not liking Children of the Atom for being horribly uninspired, these people being painfully generic and forgettable. Literally, the one that sticks out is black lady Gambit. That's the entire shtick, "take a white X-Man, change the race and/or sex". That kind of dislike was only fueled when the video came out, and the backstories were:

One has a TikTok.
    One has an Instagram.
    One is a cosplayer (aren't they all?).
    One moderates the mutant subreddit.
    One makes "mutant music".

There's just nothing to these characters in any way, and are defined by a sole trait that comes off as extremely lame. People are all for new characters, but that doesn't mean they'll just accept anything they put out. I think people were fine with Crescent, White Fox and Luna Snow being imported from Future Fight, because their designs were visually appealing and they actually felt legitimate. Not only are these generic and forgettable, they're just not pleasing to look at. I feel nothing when I look at them, except maybe disappointment. Is that the best the "House of Ideas" can come up with?

Going back to the trait thing, let's compare COTA to the New Mutants, with laconic descriptions:

One is a sexy Russian bad girl teleporter and a demon sorceress who rules her own dimension.
    One is a Kentucky farm boy but not a hick and with jet propulsion powers.
    One is a hotblooded Native American with illusion powers, and can use Norse magic.
    One is a wealthy, headstrong and rash Brazilian who can absorb and use solar energy.
    One is a Vietnamese lesbian with a French accent, and a telepath in her own right.
    One is a Scottish woman of strong Christian faith, who can shapeshift into werewolf forms.
    One is a white girl from a lost civilization in Brazil and has lava-related powers.
    One is a White-American with the ability to read and speak any language, much more useful than you think.
    One is a robot alien who can shapeshift and merge with different technology.

Hell, even when the New Mutants are just wearing uniforms, they still come off as more distinct and memorable looking than COTA even at a glance, who have different costumes but all look like some OC you'd see on Deviantart or Tumblr, just no personality whatsoever. And COTA is supposed to be the New New Mutants? I thought Jonathan Hickman had a higher standard than this. How could he have let this pass?
    I mean, just to further contrast Children of the Atom with the New Mutants, consider that the actual New Mutants book that launched with Dawn of X has been beloved, praised for its light tone, the unique space adventure break from the usual mystical/horror, and the unique retro art. It's also been selling well and consistently, and in fact was the #1 book of November.

I think this

is more appealing than this

But hey, who am I to judge? Apparently, according to some people, comics like COTA are supposed to represent the new, "modern" tastes of the audience.

I think that the New Mutants comic above shows there's room for a book about a young superhero team that's actually treated as seriously as the others. Shame the characters themselves aren't new, and they think COTA is going to fill that void. I think when they see how horrible the sales are from the start, they'll bail ASAP.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    There are always going to be unused characters - that logic has the result of never create anything new, ever as the inevitable end result. Curiously, it looks like there's going to be a new character or two appearing with the Juggernaught, although you'd be forgiven for missing that since there isn't post after post decrying the comic for having having them when other pre-existing characters are lying around. Or even one post.
    the problem here is when every other teen mutants introduced go into limbo after a specific writer leaves, what is the point of caring about this batch since I know by past and present treatment of those past teens, that these 5 will just be another in the pile?

you dont breed trust on a new mutant generation by not giving the third and bits of the second their chance, metodically so almost with the academy x kids
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-22-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    the problem here is when every other teen mutants introduced go into limbo after a specific writer leaves, what is the point of caring about this batch since I know by past and present treatment of those past teens, that these 5 will just be another in the. pile?
    This time it'll be different....right.
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    This time it'll be different....right.
    it wont, it wasnt with some of the bendis kids, jean grey kids, it wasnt with the lights, it wasnt with new x-men pre and after the decimation, most of generation x was witout a home or dead for years, the new mutants had their team butchered into x-force and it took years to get their team back on their own stories.

this wont be any difrent and it just adds to the problem

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    As long as the issues are colored and not black&white it'd be cool with me lol.
    Gah! I don't see how people read those. Makes me sick.
    Well, it depends on the artist and the style. Also depends on the colorist. I read manga all the time, and very little I've seen colored in western comics compares to pages I've seen Berserk and Vagabond. Regardless, if they consolidated their resources to fewer creative teams we could get consistent 40-50 page comics. Hickman with one prolific artist, and 1-2 really good artists. They cycle it so that the profilic is on the most important issues. Because there's 10-15 books, rather than 30-50, they get paid more and are more incentivized to stay on their deadlines.

You're missing out tho. What kind of genres of literature do you like? I might be able to recommend some manga with really good art.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I stated elsewhere what's wrong with COTA, and I'll just reiterate them here.

I mean, just to further contrast Children of the Atom with the New Mutants, consider that the actual New Mutants book that launched with Dawn of X has been beloved, praised for its light tone, the unique space adventure break from the usual mystical/horror, and the unique retro art. It's also been selling well and consistently, and in fact was the #1 book of November.

I think this

is more appealing than this

But hey, who am I to judge? Apparently, according to some people, comics like COTA are supposed to represent the new, "modern" tastes of the audience.

I think that the New Mutants comic above shows there's room for a book about a young superhero team that's actually treated as seriously as the others. Shame the characters themselves aren't new, and they think COTA is going to fill that void. I think when they see how horrible the sales are from the start, they'll bail ASAP.
    In recent pictures of Hickman, he looks stressed. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got no control over certain "woke" projects, and is starting to remember why he hates working for Marvel.

BANNED

even if it turns out good whats the fucking point since no amount of requests has allowed the new x-men to get another shot at being a team and are instead getting scraps in some titles or as teen cable waifus.
    whats the difrence this time? that these 5 twerps will be given by the narrative the respect, conection and recognition the new x-men were worthy but never really got? once its cancelled they will all be ignored. There is no point in believing this will be any difrent

You're missing out tho. What kind of genres of literature do you like? I might be able to recommend some manga with really good art.
    Ha I imagine. tbh I not that into art Like if X-Men just came in typical novel format I'd. Love it. Manga's art to picture ratio just doesn't vibe with me. The animes are badass tho lol
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

In recent pictures of Hickman, he looks stressed. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got no control over certain "woke" projects, and is starting to remember why he hates working for Marvel.
    that's a reach now, this title is a bad premiss not because of some diversity boogyman but because its very much what none of us want or need, lets not when hickman has showered vita with praise