Page 39 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Blink #1 (2001) I read this issue a few weeks back, it says Bahamas. It's written by Lobdell

Here's a link for comixology
    finally. but that was 2001. not the phalanx covenant and not age of apocalypse. she was created in '94.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    finally. but that was 2001. not the phalanx covenant and not age of apocalypse. she was created in '94.
    I mean it might have been established earlier, but the fact that it's Lobdell and he's the one who created her seems definitive

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Puerto Ricans are an ethnic group not a race. Most Puerto Ricans are a mix of mainly of three groups White(Spain) Black (African slaves) and Taino (Indigenous Caribbean). Celia Reyes is Afro(aka Black aka African descent) Latino( aka Latin America culture group) woman.

Blink was born in the Bahamas which is like 80% percent Black population. But if you need futher explanation her aunt was shown in last series and she is black.

-I mix them up at times but Hispanic(spanish speaking culture background) Latino (geographical group colonized by Spain mainly). You can be Hispanic and Black or Asian. You can be Latino and not speak Spanish. Someone from Spain can be Hispanic but not Latino because Latino is reference to geographical area. Of course because the slave trade Latino countries tend to have high amount people from African descent. The highest population of people from African descent outside of Africa and the US is Brazil a Latino country.
    More like 90% black. As someone from there, I actually had no idea Blink was Bahamian although apparently from a fictional island (over 700 islands in The Bahamas) and moved to Miami when she was young.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    There was one line in a caption box in the blink mini series that said she was from the Bahamas and nothing else about her family and background. I have that series and didn’t even remember that, lol. The x-movies definitely have their white washing problems, but they can’t really be blamed for that one. Th movie folks might have thought they were adding diversity by casting blink as Asian (but they were mostly trying to appeal to China.)
    Well Chinese-Bahamian population small but vibrant here particularly over last decade or so as China has invested substantially in The Bahamas. My fiance is actually half Black and half Chinese as her father is Bahamian and her mother 100% Chinese ethnically but born in the Bahamas to Chinese parents.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-28-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    come on. so you're telling me that her hair remained straight for the first 100 something appearances (captured by the Phalanx, fighting for her life in a war torn world, and dimension hopping w/ the exiles) because she was carrying around a weave? there's nothing wrong with her being a black woman. but don't insult my intelligence. if the had intended for her to be a black woman, it would have come up before now. there would have been an offhanded comment about her ethnicity. Marvel is generally very proud of their diversity. but the way that she was originally drawn, she made Emma Frost look like Oprah Winfrey.
    Are you saying it is strange for a black woman to have hair straight all the time, Then all of sudden go to more natural style. I wish was a term for that oh yeah it is called "the big chop" when black women hair gets so damaged by straightening it they have to cut it off.

Already explain but I guess will explain it again many creators in the past sucked at fleshing out characters AND many editors don't care about the background characters which is why you get Apocalypse is blue from an editor when talking about his race. But back on point what race is Domino? She has been around longer than Blink what is her racial makeup? Creators don't flesh out background of their characters ,and other creators will step in and finished up. Lobdell made Bahamian, Saladin Ahmed solidified her as that flesh out her background. Blink in the Gifted was called Clarice "Fong" to reflect that actor playing her was Asian. Nothing in Blink history goes against with Saladin Ahmed and Javier Rodriguez did with her the groundwork was setup by Scott Lobdell.

And bring it back on topic that is why it is important you have a creators who understand minorities when creating stuff who would flesh out Blink and Monet properly from the beginning and wouldn't add Aboriginal background to Bishop because they understand that he would carry certain features with that background. I am excited by these characters made by Vita because they aren't going to sit for years with race identity stuff being in question.

Beside Blink doesn't look different except when drawn by Javier Rodriguez, He emphasize black features when he draws while other people don't do that, And this what Blink looked like when drawn by another person. This much to do about nothing just like with Psylocke who looks the same asian woman or british white woman by most artist. But Blink is canonical black clearly now and we'll never have this discussion again
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-28-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    The more art of this one the more I think Butterball Avenger Academy. Now hear me out theres actual thought behind this. He was once said to be inmune to some forms of telepathy, so theres the connection to his mentor Jean Grey. He is a KNOWN fanboy of heros in fact was part of his character type. He also gained his powers via unknown means, maybe revealed to be mutant? https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Emery_Schaub_(Earth-616)
    If this turns out to be Butterball, the book immediately goes onto my pull list.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Butterball powerset doesn't match up, Also the hair color(yeah it could be dyed) doesn't match.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Butterball powerset doesn't match up, Also the hair color(yeah it could be dyed) doesn't match.
    I am thinking that his powers evolved somehow, he was said to be immune to telepathy at one point. He is the Jean Grey sidekick. We dont have enough info yet exactly what each powers are, unless I missed it. Exact duplicate of power set or Similiar power set

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    I am thinking that his powers evolved somehow, he was said to be immune to telepathy at one point. He is the Jean Grey sidekick. We dont have enough info yet exactly what each powers are, unless I missed it. Exact duplicate of power set or Similiar power set
    The character in the solicts is floating rocks so the likelihood is he is either a telekinetic or geokinetic/earth bender type. We are all guessing tho

I'd love this to be a Children of the Vault team book.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

In an stunning and brave announcement author J.K. Rowling declares in a official twitter statement that Blink has "Always been black". - News at 11.

That being said... this book CothA fills me with a morbid curiosity, I don't know if its D.O.A or doomed to be like all the other X-men teen books, but I'm at least interested to know to whole premise of what they're creating.
    Maybe it'll have really compelling story
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I mean it might have been established earlier, but the fact that it's Lobdell and he's the one who created her seems definitive
    oh it's definitive now. and i have no issue with it. but i truly believe that it was something he changed his mind on. i don't think she was created with that in mind. and it wouldn't be unusual for him to change his mind; like he did with M and Penance. he seems to like to introduce characters from "exotic" locations. but the way she was drawn in the phalanx covenant and age of apocalypse make me think that none of the artists were informed that he was intending her to be a black girl from the bahamas. Lobdell also picked a really generic name for her too. Ferguson?

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I rather saw a Children of the Vault series, then this Children of the Atom one. Anyone else would love that?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I rather saw a Children of the Vault series, then this Children of the Atom one. Anyone else would love that?
    I'd kill for that

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

After reading X-men today i am wondering if some of the new characters being introduced in this series could be the offspring of some type of Mutant/Children of the Vault hybrid siblings. If the 3 stranded X-men spend alot of time in the city they could interact and have relationships that form unions between the 2 groups that creates a different type of mutant. Looking at the tech that some of the new characters have could be the tech of the Children of the Vault and the powers or likeness of some x-men coming from the X-gene.

Ok I don't think Blink is in the book so let's get back on to topic plz.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules