Page 37 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

I rather saw a new book with Surge, Hellion, Anole, Rockslide, Trance, Indra and X23

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

They've got to stop just giving black female characters Afros especially mutants. They're mutants! Their hair can look any damn way it wants to, no rules! Create more unique interesting dynamic features for ur black X characters so H can stop pigeonholing bishop and storm as tokens and give them a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    They've got to stop just giving black female characters Afros especially mutants. They're mutants! Their hair can look any damn way it wants to, no rules! Create more unique interesting dynamic features for ur black X characters so H can stop pigeonholing bishop and storm as tokens and give them a rest.
    Isn't the amount of black female created pretty much two Idie and this new gambit girl. Wait I am being forgetful there is Monet, Cipher, Bling, Blink, Angel Salvadore, Celia Reyes, Frenzy, Shard, Thernody, Tempo, Kyhmera, Astrid Bloom,etc. That is 3 afros out of a group 15 or 20 mutants. I am not seeing the issue.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Isn't the amount of black female created pretty much two Idie and this new gambit girl. Wait I am being forgetful there is Monet, Cipher, Bling, Blink, Angel Salvadore, Celia Reyes, Frenzy, Shard, Thernody, Tempo, Kyhmera, Astrid Bloom,etc. That is 3 afros out of a group 15 or 20 mutants. I am not seeing the issue.
    Cecilia is Puerto Rican. Not sure where you got an idea of Blink being black.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post
    i confused blink and bling there, but in her recent exiles series her human relative was black
    Last edited by Ferro; 01-28-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post
    Puerto Ricans are an ethnic group not a race. Most Puerto Ricans are a mix of mainly of three groups White(Spain) Black (African slaves) and Taino (Indigenous Caribbean). Celia Reyes is Afro(aka Black aka African descent) Latino( aka Latin America culture group) woman.

Blink was born in the Bahamas which is like 80% percent Black population. But if you need futher explanation her aunt was shown in last series and she is black.

-I mix them up at times but Hispanic(spanish speaking culture background) Latino (geographical group colonized by Spain mainly). You can be Hispanic and Black or Asian. You can be Latino and not speak Spanish. Someone from Spain can be Hispanic but not Latino because Latino is reference to geographical area. Of course because the slave trade Latino countries tend to have high amount people from African descent. The highest population of people from African descent outside of Africa and the US is Brazil a Latino country.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-28-2020 at 10:13 AM.

BANNED

This thread has the biggest boomer energy in the entire forum. Hot damn.

Also, friendly reminder that being Latino or Latina doesn't exclude from being black since, you know, thank the Europeans slavery lasted a long ass time around these parts. So there's a big amount of black people.

Puerto Ricans are an ethnic group not a race. Most Puerto Ricans are a mix of mainly of three groups White(Spain) Black (African slaves) and Taino (Indigenous Caribbean). Celia Reyes is Afro(aka Black aka African descent) Latino( aka Latin America culture group) woman.

Blink was born in the Bahamas which is like 80% percent Black population. But if you need futher explanation her aunt was shown in last series and she is black.
    strangely, i don't like that. it feels like a drastic change from how she was presented during the phalanx convenant and age of apocalypse. if it increased her fan base, great. but it as a weird direction to take the character visually. she just suddenly had natural hair.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I'm just saying there's so many colors, hairstyles, etc, and whenever they introduce a female character in the MU it's almost always a token afro. Merp.

20200128_182959.jpg

From Silva's IG

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    strangely, i don't like that. it feels like a drastic change from how she was presented during the phalanx convenant and age of apocalypse. if it increased her fan base, great. but it as a weird direction to take the character visually. she just suddenly had natural hair.
    The creator Scot Lobdell gave her the background she was always from the Bahamas. For most her time existing she was drawn as generic person with no features, the movie and show casted her as Asian inspite of her background. The exile created team expanded on her background and the artist drew her with influence coming from Janelle Monae and not generic character with no background. People can not like it but stuff only happens because creators are aware of the culture backgrounds and don't flesh out characters properly. Blink was an open door just as Domino after all these years and books is still an open door. You leave the door open and someone else will jump in and do what they want.

And bringing it back on topic I bet you these characters won't have that type of blank slate/touch only the surface culture issues because the creators are minorities. I expect the backgrounds to be fleshed out throughly.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-28-2020 at 10:39 AM.

Lobdell created her Bahamian?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

You would be correct. There is absolutely no issue.
    Snap was just being his/her usual...Snapp-ish...SJW-self.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    20200128_182959.jpg

From Silva's IG
    The more art of this one the more I think Butterball Avenger Academy. Now hear me out theres actual thought behind this. He was once said to be inmune to some forms of telepathy, so theres the connection to his mentor Jean Grey. He is a KNOWN fanboy of heros in fact was part of his character type. He also gained his powers via unknown means, maybe revealed to be mutant? https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Emery_Schaub_(Earth-616)

We still out here using ‘SJW’ as a pejorative?