Page 48 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I actually think they're going to be young mutants who died and via their will (see X-Men #7) asked to be resurrected with the powers of their idols.
    Holy sh!t that would be so cool.

Ultimate Member

I actually think they're going to be young mutants who died and via their will (see X-Men #7) asked to be resurrected with the powers of their idols.
    That could be cool, particularly if their power was something sucky, like a skin condition or extra useless vestigial arms or whatever.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That's silly cuz why are we giving randos the powers of other mutants?
    "Cable was right!"

It would be cool but I don’t think these mutants have been to Krakoa yet. Besides, we can see from the faux Fancrawler and Stangel that they don’t have the exact same power. My guess is that their powers are wildly different but their suits are tailored to give some sort of similarity in appearance to their mentors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    It would be cool but I don’t think these mutants have been to Krakoa yet. Besides, we can see from the faux Fancrawler and Stangel that they don’t have the exact same power. My guess is that their powers are wildly different but their suits are tailored to give some sort of similarity in appearance to their mentors.
    I'm now envisioning the Cyke-kick having a reverse Eric the Red suit - where the blasts might actually come from the hands but the suit reroutes to the visor.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Just seems like too much of a coincidence to not be related.

I’m really interested in the aspects of mutant culture this will touch on. We know one is a moderator of a mutant reddit and I’m betting it’s the Cyke-kick. Also love that one of the teens will be making mutant music, I hope they work with DJ, Dazzler, Icarus, and Lila Cheney.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm now envisioning the Cyke-kick having a reverse Eric the Red suit - where the blasts might actually come from the hands but the suit reroutes to the visor.
    Their suit is all covered up so it could very well be lined on the inside with ruby quartz. That would be so cool.

that would be cool.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    That would be even cooler, if the Nightcrawler kid, for instance, created smokey explosions, but didn't actually teleport, being more of an explosion-maker, a la Boom Boom.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani5 View Post
    this book would have been more interesting had they been de-powered M-day mutants attempting to regain a semblance of their mutant powers using technological means. They could explore how they integrate with the regular mutants of Krakoa and hesitation with the crucible.
    I am going to give this book a chance but I actually like this idea .

A group of mutants embracing their mutant identity even though they no longer have powers would have been a good premise, but it would have been more compelling if it was with characters that we were already familiar with.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    A group of mutants embracing their mutant identity even though they no longer have powers would have been a good premise, but it would have been more compelling if it was with characters that we were already familiar with.
    I am intrigued by the notions of;
    A) someone who lost their mutation/powers, but still thinks of themselves as a mutant, part of the 'mutant race' and follows mutant culture.
    B) someone who was never a mutant, but wishes they were, and transitions into being a mutant through some means (or mimics being a mutant via technology or sorcery or whatever).

How would such a person be regarded, in either case? Would someone like Beak be ridiculed for wanting to have lips and not look like a half-plucked deformed chicken, for 'rejecting his mutation' and yet still wanting to be a part of the community with his mutant friends and family? Would someone 'transitioning' into joining them be welcome, or like real world people transitioning genders, perhaps be met with a ... less than enthusiastic response from some of those born to those roles? (And, obviously, reactions would likely not be monolithic in any event. Some might welcome them, others question their validity, etc.)

B) someone who was never a mutant, but wishes they were, and transitions into being a mutant through some means (or mimics being a mutant via technology or sorcery or whatever).
    Speaking of that, where is Mimic these days?

How would Krakoa treat a guy that isn't a mutant but gets mutant powers just by being near them? Especially since he can lay claim to being one of the very first X-men.

Astonishing Member

So this book is basicly about a group of young regular humans who have grown up with "mutants" being a constant topic in the media they consume (tv, books, internet news, social media, music, etc.), that they developed a deep level of admiration for them, either in opposition to the general consciousness of hate and/or fear or to spite it (anti-authority mentality) and now they try to go one step further than being fans and actively try to become like their idols (either via creating the tech to emulate their powers or gaining it from someone)?

That's the gist of it, isn't it?

Dressing up as mutants at "cons", being active in pro-mutant social media activities, being fans of "mutant culture" (which i consider quite a can of worms as concept) and generaly viewing them from the sidelines isn't enough anymore for them, they want to be them (and not even mutants in general but specific X-men) and somehow, based on the solicits, they are actualy given the chance by their idols themself.

Is this meant to resonate with wish fullfillment and self insert fantasies?

Seems to me there are three ways this can go.
    A. It's all a big trick by the writers and just sets these characters up for a tragedy down the line. There are plenty of options after all. Rejection by what they idolized, doing something stupid that gets them killed or horribly transformed, their "fan" mentality turning to "fanatism", etc.

B. It's basicly meant to explore the impact the new Krakoa Nation thing has on the rest of the world and how it impacts regular human societies, but it's also not meant to last forever. Essentialy just being another branch in this "Dawn of X Crossover Event".

C. It's meant sincere and they hope to attract enough readers which the series will resonate with and make it a hit.

Personaly it's not doing much for me in any of these three possibilities. A. and B. means there is not much reason to actualy care about them as characters since they are doomed and C. is not what i'm looking for in a X-men comic. But we have to wait and see if this isn't somehow gaining enough readers to work.

Though i wonder how it would play out if they eventualy gain mutant powers, but it's the Morlock kind? Like the Cyclops one gaining snail eyes or the Nightcrawler one only getting green fur.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

How would Krakoa treat a guy that isn't a mutant but gets mutant powers just by being near them? Especially since he can lay claim to being one of the very first X-men.
    From what i recall he was killed by Ahab in the Extermination mini series and hasn't come back in any form yet.
    It would seem unlikely they would replicate him since he isn't a mutant. Also it would be quite problematic if they would reveal Xaiver copy and pasting a non-mutant with their process, despite that being technicaly possible.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-22-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Spectacular Member

Again, from the press release that accompanied this video...

The press release begins:

Quote Originally Posted by Children of the Atom Press Release
    A new team of young mutant heroes have formed in the tradition of some of the original X-Men.
    And contains the passage:

Quote Originally Posted by Children of the Atom Press Release
    The events of House of X and those in its wake have caused an unprecedented paradigm shift for mutants in the Marvel universe. Now more free to live openly without the fear of oppression, gifted youngsters from around the world are following in the X-Men’s footsteps and striving to make the world a safer place for both mutants and humans.
    ‪‪I don't think they're humans, they've said outright they're Mutants, now free to try to follow in the X-Men's footsteps on their own in the new post-Krakoan status quo, outside of Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    From what i recall he was killed by Ahab in the Extermination mini series and hasn't come back in any form yet.
    It would seem unlikely they would replicate him since he isn't a mutant. Also it would be quite problematic if they would reveal Xaiver copy and pasting a non-mutant with their process, despite that being technicaly possible.
    He's back, resurrected as of House of X 05, listed alongside Synch as a potential replacement for members of the Five if anything happened to one of them, which would seem to un-retcon the un-retconning, or, re-retcon him back to being a latent Mutant who's X-Gene had been activated by his father's machine.
    Last edited by ISnowNothin; 03-22-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

They just decided he's a mutant after all.