Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374757677 LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1148
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    A powered up Prodigy is probably Omega, because what he can do is just nuts.
    If his powers were pushed to outside himself i.e. if manipulated how people accessed knowledge, maybe taking it away or having people unable to do things such as speak, walk, or transferring knowledge between people I could see omega level status but as it stands I see him as a high end specialized alpha....

As much as I'd love it, I don't think Prodigy even needs to be repowered. With the amount of knowledge he's already absorbed, he should be one of the biggest assets for the X-men. I always hate it when he's not the go-to science guy over Beast considering he has all of his knowledge plus Professor X's, Doctor Strange, and whatever other character he encountered before being depowered. I was really hoping to see him as a member of the science team on Krakoa.

Where was Quake last seen? I'm surprised she wasn't featured in Marvel Ultimate Alliance despite Crystal appearing.

I hope to see more done with American Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    A powered up Prodigy is probably Omega, because what he can do is just nuts.
    Yes, yes, yes.

King deserves so much, he has the potential.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I can agree on X-Men. Though it may have been better to lead with different characters on the cover. lol

But Hickman SEEMS like he takes characters of color seriously and it was a good few pictured on the rotating roster.

Monet
    Frenzy
    Storm

Depends if he really will bring back Synch & Skin. lol He'll have Psylocke.

So while it may not be overflowing with color, it is still doing better than what we're used to.
    I really can't wait to see if Hickman will do Frenzy justice
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by rdman View Post
    Synch is supposedly resurrected under Hickman and many other mutants, including Mimic. It's up to the editors or writers to bring them back into the spot light.
    Yeah he is alive .. I figure he and others will show up in the second wave. I also hope this means Risque gets resurrected. She needs some spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Yeah he is alive .. I figure he and others will show up in the second wave. I also hope this means Risque gets resurrected. She needs some spotlight.
    Gah I wanna see Synch and Skin! It'll rock do hard All my blood is rushing to my head
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Are you saying it is strange for a black woman to have hair straight all the time, Then all of sudden go to more natural style. I wish was a term for that oh yeah it is called "the big chop" when black women hair gets so damaged by straightening it they have to cut it off.
    i'm black. and i grew up watching my mother straighten out my black sister's hair every morning with that friggin hot comb. of course, she never had Rahne Sinclair hair like Blink did when first introduced. it just seems weird that it was never curly during the majority of her existence. doesn't seem like something that she'd wasting time with during the Age of Apocalypse. Bishop's head was shaved the entire time just to save time.

Already explain but I guess will explain it again many creators in the past sucked at fleshing out characters AND many editors don't care about the background characters
    Lobdell did. it was very important to him. Banshee's dialogue was peppered with "boyo" and "ye." he added regional diversity with Paige being a country girl and Chamber being a brit. Angelo occasionally spoke spanish. i'm pretty sure that Monet was speaking french or something in one of the early appearances. it would have been a big deal if Blink were a black female back then, imo. i think it was floating around in his head but, since the plan was to kill her off, he didn't push the issue. he waited until that Blink solo series to solidify her as bahamian. i just don't remember there being a trace of it prior to that. conversely, was there ever a question of Mondo not being samoan? Monet was explicitly Algerian and from Monaco.

which is why you get Apocalypse is blue from an editor when talking about his race. But back on point what race is Domino?
    hard to say because Liefeld can't draw worth a sht. i assumed that she was just a white chick all the way up until her husband Milo was introduced. then i thought maybe Marvel was doing something bold by introducing an interracial relationship. but i'd say that most people assumed that she was white. and i'm going by the casting calls of the time period. it was always Lori Petty or Carie Ann Moss. and i mostly consider the cinematic universe to be its own thing (especially the FOX movies). i prefer Zazie Beetz Domino to some of the other depictions of her. but Domino has never looked like her in the comics. and, if she had, she would be treated as a woman of color. i've given up on Apocalypse. he was from a nomadic tribe and was made a slave because he's disfigured. his facial characteristics are exaggerated as part of his mutation. he could be any color under the sun. but they chose pale blue. that's why i'm not so hot on the change to Blink. it's kind of wasting a slot by making her black. because she will always just be seen as pink. and those ears scream "elf."

She has been around longer than Blink what is her racial makeup? Creators don't flesh out background of their characters ,and other creators will step in and finished up. Lobdell made Bahamian, Saladin Ahmed solidified her as that flesh out her background. Blink in the Gifted was called Clarice "Fong" to reflect that actor playing her was Asian. Nothing in Blink history goes against with Saladin Ahmed and Javier Rodriguez did with her the groundwork was setup by Scott Lobdell.
    yeah, well they should have either made her asian in the comics or bahamian in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    with some characters the door is open. i liked Zazie playing Domino. but Blink had two very distinct looks for the majority of her career. and she's had a mini series or two. she was a focal point in the Age of Apocalypse. it was always straight hair and elfin features. i see the Janelle Monae influence. i'm good with there being a character like that. i just think it unwise to just up and change a character who has been around for awhile into that. who was straightening her hair in the AoA environment?
    is changing her hairstyle that much of a distraction for you? I don't get why actually adding a personal touch to a character who is essentially a blank space(IF you discount her being from the Bahamas) is something to frown upon. It's not even a retcon...its like the other poster mentioned...fleshing out the character. There was nothing inherently white about Blink in her appearances. And I know "white" is the default race assumption for a lotta people when it comes to 'colored' fictional characters, but X-Fans I feel should really know better, As to who was straightening her hair? Idk prob the same person in charge of maintaining every other X-Mans hair and supplying Dazzler with cigarettes.... Or getting tampons...etc

if Blink is one of his, she might be the only person of color in clan akkaba. his son in the AoA universe was blonde haired and blue eyed, iirc.
    'Genocide' was his "adopted" Son

come on. so you're telling me that her hair remained straight for the first 100 something appearances (captured by the Phalanx, fighting for her life in a war torn world, and dimension hopping w/ the exiles) because she was carrying around a weave? there's nothing wrong with her being a black woman. but don't insult my intelligence.
    I mean why can you believe they are jumping in and out of Dimensions but Blink couldn't travel with a weave?? lol Black girls don't play with their hair. I'd say her hair and her look are different between the AoA and 616 version. I mean we already knew she was experimented on by the DB in AoA giving her a slightly more refined powerset in the AoA. His experimentiation obviously had an effect on her hair.
    if the had intended for her to be a black woman, it would have come up before now. there would have been an offhanded comment about her ethnicity. Marvel is generally very proud of their diversity.the way that she was originally drawn, she made Emma Frost look like Oprah Winfrey.
    If who had intended? Why is it that the darker the character the more the audience needs to see to support this if the character has a phyisical mutation

Are you saying it is strange for a black woman to have hair straight all the time, Then all of sudden go to more natural style. I wish was a term for that oh yeah it is called "the big chop" when black women hair gets so damaged by straightening it they have to cut it off.

Already explain but I guess will explain it again many creators in the past sucked at fleshing out characters AND many editors don't care about the background characters which is why you get Apocalypse is blue from an editor when talking about his race. But back on point what race is Domino? She has been around longer than Blink what is her racial makeup? Creators don't flesh out background of their characters ,and other creators will step in and finished up. Lobdell made Bahamian, Saladin Ahmed solidified her as that flesh out her background. Blink in the Gifted was called Clarice "Fong" to reflect that actor playing her was Asian. Nothing in Blink history goes against with Saladin Ahmed and Javier Rodriguez did with her the groundwork was setup by Scott Lobdell.

And bring it back on topic that is why it is important you have a creators who understand minorities when creating stuff who would flesh out Blink and Monet properly from the beginning and wouldn't add Aboriginal background to Bishop because they understand that he would carry certain features with that background. I am excited by these characters made by Vita because they aren't going to sit for years with race identity stuff being in question.

Beside Blink doesn't look different except when drawn by Javier Rodriguez, He emphasize black features when he draws while other people don't do that, And this what Blink looked like when drawn by another person. This much to do about nothing just like with Psylocke who looks the same asian woman or british white woman by most artist. But Blink is canonical black clearly now and we'll never have this discussion again
    I wish I could believe you lol
    But
    GaaH I do enjoy your posts lol

oh it's definitive now. and i have no issue with it. but i truly believe that it was something he changed his mind on. i don't think she was created with that in mind. and it wouldn't be unusual for him to change his mind; like he did with M and Penance. he seems to like to introduce characters from "exotic" locations. but the way she was drawn in the phalanx covenant and age of apocalypse make me think that none of the artists were informed that he was intending her to be a black girl from the bahamas. Lobdell also picked a really generic name for her too. Ferguson?
    M and Penance? What did he change about them? He split the twins up...had nothing to do with Penance then he left the book. Blink has a physical mutation I think if the artists back then were reeeeeally trying to get the Bahamas connection across it proooob woulda looked like an over the top stereotype. I mean if you look at Skin theres nothing about the way he's drawn that indicates he's Mexican....Oooorr the way Penance is drawn really doesnt scream Yugoslavian to me. As for her last name...you know which country has the highest density of folks that have the last name Ferguson??
    The Bahamas

i'm black. and i grew up watching my mother straighten out my black sister's hair every morning with that friggin hot comb. of course, she never had Rahne Sinclair hair like Blink did when first introduced. it just seems weird that it was never curly during the majority of her existence. doesn't seem like something that she'd wasting time with during the Age of Apocalypse. Bishop's head was shaved the entire time just to save time.
    Well there's all kinds of hair textures among Black people. My double cousins and I have hair thats more loosely curled than some, and Ive seen her comb her hair out straight many times with a reg comb. (It wouldn't lay flat itd still be poofy) lol. Bishop was a crazy person in AoA, but how is taking the time to shave your head more efficient than just letting it grow out.??

Lobdell did. it was very important to him. Banshee's dialogue was peppered with "boyo" and "ye." he added regional diversity with Paige being a country girl and Chamber being a brit. Angelo occasionally spoke spanish. i'm pretty sure that Monet was speaking french or something in one of the early appearances. it would have been a big deal if Blink were a black female back then, imo. i think it was floating around in his head but, since the plan was to kill her off, he didn't push the issue. he waited until that Blink solo series to solidify her as bahamian. i just don't remember there being a trace of it prior to that. conversely, was there ever a question of Mondo not being samoan? Monet was explicitly Algerian and from Monaco.
    Uh writer's have always had Banshee speak with Gaelic words sprinkled in..... waaay before Lobdell. Since none of those dialects are exclusive to a certain race.... What would he have had Blink say to cue in the readers her racial background?No Example for Synch???

Ive given up on Apocalypse. he was from a nomadic tribe and was made a slave because he's disfigured. his facial characteristics are exaggerated as part of his mutation. he could be any color under the sun. but they chose pale blue. that's why i'm not so hot on the change to Blink. it's kind of wasting a slot by making her black. because she will always just be seen as pink. and those ears scream "elf."
    Well here He is in the 'Further Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix"
    GrindrStone(D)

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Uh writer's have always had Banshee speak with Gaelic words sprinkled in..... waaay before Lobdell. Since none of those dialects are exclusive to a certain race.... What would he have had Blink say to cue in the readers her racial background?No Example for Synch???
    I'm not sure I'm following you here. . .
    If you don't know any authentic jamacian people, their dialect or authentic cultural affectations, its not a blame to be put on you, but you can do a little leg work and research that. Its not hidden.

...but in 25 years time they could have had her say a lot to cue in readers to here racial background. It wasn't like she was keeping it a secret. Not to mention the movie and tv shows she's played by an Asian woman most consistently.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    is changing her hairstyle that much of a distraction for you? I don't get why actually adding a personal touch to a character who is essentially a blank space(IF you discount her being from the Bahamas) is something to frown upon. It's not even a retcon...its like the other poster mentioned...fleshing out the character. There was nothing inherently white about Blink in her appearances. And I know "white" is the default race assumption for a lotta people when it comes to 'colored' fictional characters,
    eh. actually, i've been thinking of Blink as asian.

which just makes it strange that there's a 616 version of him that is Autumn Rolfson's biological child by Apocalypse.

If who had intended? Why is it that the darker the character the more the audience needs to see to support this if the character has a phyisical mutation
    i'm having trouble understanding this sentence. i'll just guess what you're trying to say. i dislike it when they hide someone's diversity via physical mutation. for example...you know how the Exiles version of Morph is white as a sheet with only the most rudimentary facial features. it would bother me if he were revealed to be east indian.

M and Penance? What did he change about them?
    he intended her to be two little girls and not Penance.

He split the twins up...had nothing to do with Penance then he left the book. Blink has a physical mutation I think if the artists back then were reeeeeally trying to get the Bahamas connection across it proooob woulda looked like an over the top stereotype. I mean if you look at Skin theres nothing about the way he's drawn that indicates he's Mexican....
    the way he dresses and speaks points to it. it would very much suck if they hid that aspect of Angelo. it's not something that he would need to be ashamed of. that's my point with Blink. she became popular before people really knew anything about her. i just wish that she had been identified as a black girl from the bahamas before she took off as a character. i probably would have researched the bahamas and would have come across that fact about the name 'Ferguson.'

the way Penance is drawn really doesnt scream Yugoslavian to me.
    that's why it was helpful for them to say that she was Yugoslavian.

As for her last name...you know which country has the highest density of folks that have the last name Ferguson??
    The Bahamas
    that's good to know. i just wish that they had revealed that at jump.

Well there's all kinds of hair textures among Black people. My double cousins and I have hair thats more loosely curled than some, and Ive seen her comb her hair out straight many times with a reg comb. (It wouldn't lay flat itd still be poofy) lol. Bishop was a crazy person in AoA, but how is taking the time to shave your head more efficient than just letting it grow out.??
    it's more efficient than letting it grow out and straightening it.

he's a midwestern black guy like myself. if he did have a regional dialect, i wouldn't recognize it. but, besides that, Everett is also explicitly a black guy. he's not bright pink with straight hair. our introduction to him has him (baseball cap to the back) surrounded by police with their guns drawn. he wasn't any more immune to the stereotyping than the others. and it was important to the writer that we see that his family was somewhat blended. that's why it's weird to me that so much about Blink was hidden.

he's a shapeshifter. he appeared with "white guy" features in an issue of X-Force that showed flashbacks of all of the X-ternals.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I'm not sure I'm following you here. . .
    If you don't know any authentic jamacian people, their dialect or authentic cultural affectations, its not a blame to be put on you, but you can do a little leg work and research that. Its not hidden.

...but in 25 years time they could have had her say a lot to cue in readers to here racial background. It wasn't like she was keeping it a secret. Not to mention the movie and tv shows she's played by an Asian woman most consistently.
    Buuut the Blink we've seen the most didn't grow up in the Bahamas and was seperated from her parents at 4? then raised by the X-Men where would she get cultural cues from?
    which just makes it strange that there's a 616 version of him that is Autumn Rolfson's biological child by Apocalypse.
    Hmmmm true True....poor poor Genocide
    i'm having trouble understanding this sentence. i'll just guess what you're trying to say. i dislike it when they hide someone's diversity via physical mutation. for example...you know how the Exiles version of Morph is white as a sheet with only the most rudimentary facial features. it would bother me if he were revealed to be east indian.
    lol my bad it was preeeetty late and I was prettier stoned.... But yeah I feel ya on physical mutations hiding a chars ethnicity....Bling comes to mind
    i just wish that she had been identified as a black girl from the bahamas before she took off as a character. i probably would have researched the bahamas and would have come across that fact about the name 'Ferguson'
    I meeean has she took off?
    he's a midwestern black guy like myself. if he did have a regional dialect, i wouldn't recognize it. but, besides that, Everett is also explicitly a black guy. he's not bright pink with straight hair. our introduction to him has him (baseball cap to the back) surrounded by police with their guns drawn. he wasn't any more immune to the stereotyping than the others. and it was important to the writer that we see that his family was somewhat blended. that's why it's weird to me that so much about Blink was hidden.
    I meeeeean youd think this would be iron clad until they cast Joffrey Baratheon to play him in a movie
    GrindrStone(D)

oh it's definitive now. and i have no issue with it. but i truly believe that it was something he changed his mind on. i don't think she was created with that in mind. and it wouldn't be unusual for him to change his mind; like he did with M and Penance. he seems to like to introduce characters from "exotic" locations. but the way she was drawn in the phalanx covenant and age of apocalypse make me think that none of the artists were informed that he was intending her to be a black girl from the bahamas. Lobdell also picked a really generic name for her too. Ferguson?
    Ferguson is a fairly common Bahamian last name. Clarice not so much in terms of first name.

Buuut the Blink we've seen the most didn't grow up in the Bahamas and was seperated from her parents at 4? then raised by the X-Men where would she get cultural cues from?
    Yeah no reason for her to have Bahamian accent or dialect if she left there when she was 3. Not to mention, having lived in the US and UK, Asia for 19 years, I lost a lot on my accent until I returned back to the Bahamas despite not leaving The Bahamas until I was in college. No point speaking Bahamian dialect to a bunch of American, European and Japanese who don't know what it means.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-30-2020 at 06:10 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

is changing her hairstyle that much of a distraction for you? I don't get why actually adding a personal touch to a character who is essentially a blank space(IF you discount her being from the Bahamas) is something to frown upon. It's not even a retcon...its like the other poster mentioned...fleshing out the character. There was nothing inherently white about Blink in her appearances. And I know "white" is the default race assumption for a lotta people when it comes to 'colored' fictional characters, but X-Fans I feel should really know better, As to who was straightening her hair? Idk prob the same person in charge of maintaining every other X-Mans hair and supplying Dazzler with cigarettes.... Or getting tampons...etc

I wish I could believe you lol
    But
    GaaH I do enjoy your posts lol

M and Penance? What did he change about them? He split the twins up...had nothing to do with Penance then he left the book. Blink has a physical mutation I think if the artists back then were reeeeeally trying to get the Bahamas connection across it proooob woulda looked like an over the top stereotype. I mean if you look at Skin theres nothing about the way he's drawn that indicates he's Mexican....Oooorr the way Penance is drawn really doesnt scream Yugoslavian to me. As for her last name...you know which country has the highest density of folks that have the last name Ferguson??
    The Bahamas

Thanks for this pic cause it kind of reinforces some of the very early dicpictations where you see more of his African features. I don't think its looney to consider that showing the "blackness" of a stated character is something that is muted and manipulated at times. There looks to be a black male as the Angel counterpart, I'm interested in seeing how they write, voice, and how much they show of him.
    Last edited by dkrook; 01-31-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Disappointing The New Mutants book are the pages you see Brown X-Men in.
    smdh
    Making the casting of the movie even more insufferable
    Last edited by BroHomo; 02-03-2020 at 12:29 PM.
    GrindrStone(D)